No problem, I'm gettin' good at it!
Proficiency does not make the task more tolerable

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:26 AM   #17
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Kinda like hitting guard rails???

hey Tim- Look for the young Asian guy- he really knows his stuff.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #18
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,931
Washington Cycle Works

If you still need a Helmet, try Washington Cycle Works in NJ. Web site is www.washingtoncycleworks.com/

Ask for Ron. He ships all over. I get all my track stuff from them....good folks...

BCC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #19
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
That sucks that they don't allow mail-order anymore. I got my old Signet from Competition Accessories for a lot less than the local dealer. If I have to pay jacked-up dealer prices, I'll get something else, like a Nolan.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #20
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,472
The thing that really pisses me off about the whole Arai thing, is that the reason they "claimed" to do it was to improve the whole buying experience. That you would ge a properly fit helmet, get to see a selection, and presumably have a dealer to interface with if you have a problem. HA.

When I bought my RX7RR4, it was right after the transition, so I was faced with dealing with my local stealer for the helmet. The price they had been mail order was about $400. The dealer wanted $650. I managed to talk the dealer down a little, but I still paid over $500 for the helmet. I did have a problem with it. Something was stuck inside the venting for the helmet, and it whistled loudly on the left side. Very annoying. I went back to the dealer, and they basically told me to fuck off. They gave me a card with Arais phone number on it, and told me to call them. I had to do everything regarding shipping (twice) and multiple emails and phone calls to get the problem resolved. I spent at least $50 in shipping and insurance, and was without my helmet for 6-weeks in prime riding season. I would call Arai's new policy a failure.

Rant mode off.

I'll still buy their helmets, but if I'm going to have to deal with shit on my own, I sure as hell am not going to pay extra for it.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #21
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
If you know model and size...can't beat ebay. quantum and signets for 200.
andmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:33 PM   #22
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon
If you know model and size...can't beat ebay. quantum and signets for 200.
Be careful, though, I remember reading about someone getting a counterfeit Arai on ebay.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:44 PM   #23
HarveyMushman OP
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Be careful, though, I remember reading about someone getting a counterfeit Arai on ebay.
Yeah, I'm not 100%-comfortable buying one from eBay. A pair of gloves or pants is one thing, but a helmet is another. Besides, the one eBay seller I found is selling the old Quantum/f model, not the updated Quantum/2 model that I'll find at the Service Pavillion Thursday.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:44 AM   #24
HarveyMushman OP
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,188
Mission accomplished

Purchased yesterday from The Service Pavillion, a very charming little joint buried in the heart of Pennsylvania Amish country. Once in town I had to call for directions because I couldn't find the place, so unassuming it is from the outside. Turns out I was right next doort when I called . . . Anyway, the Arai sign overlooking the gravel lot marked the spot and in I went to find a modest independent motorcycle repair business on one end of the space (populated by assorted supermoto and dual-sport bikes, plus a bunch of cool street and track bikes) and the Arai showroom on the other. Be forewarned: Most of their sales come from their traveling showroom, which is on the road constantly, year-round. Consequently, their on-site selection is not as large as you might expect. They had a bunch of XD's though. You might want to call ahead if you are looking for a particular model, size, or color.

Good folks, attentive service (I suppose it helped being the only customer in sight), and they even have a set of Nick Hayden's Repsol leathers on display, complete with scuffed knee pucks and bug guts from a far away land. In short, the buying experience beat the snot out of what I would have found at the local stealer. Thanks, Jabba.

The only downside was having to ride 200 miles of southern Pennsylvania.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:16 PM   #25
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
For Sale

I have been following this thread with interest, as I just bought exactly this helmet in size M and my wife went ballistic since I have four others. I am about to put it on ebay, never worn, in the box, all paperwork, new.

Any takers? It list for $500, I'm thinking $325 plus postage?

Z
Zanotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #26
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,062
Hey Harv, I wear a Nolen so I'm not too familiar with Arai's...since you've been researching them would you happen to know what kind of Arai's they're wearing in the Long Way Round show????
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #27
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBOTU
Hey Harv, I wear a Nolen so I'm not too familiar with Arai's...since you've been researching them would you happen to know what kind of Arai's they're wearing in the Long Way Round show????
XD's

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:34 PM   #28
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
XD's
Thanks Sweetie!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:42 AM   #29
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef
Call Steve at "SuperBike ans Ski" in Fort Myers...
1:239:939.7788
$347 last I heard...
Ara
I followed this advice. Steve hooked me up with no hassle. I give a strong endorsement.

I could not find another Arai dealer that would mail-order the helmets. Arai's policy forbids this. Also, the best discount I could find from other dealers was about 20% off list price. Steve's price was another $100 cheaper than that - $375 for the Storm-graphics helmets, plus a few bucks for shipping.

The second best interaction I had with a dealer came from my call to The Service Pavillion, mentioned earlier in this thread. They would not sell me the helmets over the phone, but they have a road show that hits major metro areas periodically. They offer a fitting service in which they exchange the cheek pads to get the right fit. But, their best price was higher than Steve's by more than the cost of a replacement cheek pad. Still, they seemed honest and professional.

YMMV, Cap
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:43 PM   #30
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,652
xd

Hi,
It appears that some Arai dealers have access to some xd's that are being closed out. I ordered a silver storm through Steve at Supersports and Ski in Ft. Myers. I have a feeling Arai is closing out the '04 storm graphics or something. Somebody else got two red xds in yesterday.
I'm stopping by Supersports after work today to pick it up.