User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
jaek OP
knucklehead

Oddometer: 101
short (weekend) baja trip?

Attempts to extensively plan Baja trips have yet to get me any closer to actually going.

Since I have to go from the SF Bay Area to Santa Monica this week for work, I'm thinking I should just ride my bike down there, then take Friday off and head south earlyish, find somewhere by the ocean to eat fish tacos, drink tequila, and read my book, maybe pootle around on the bike some Saturday, then head back early Sunday morning.

Among my resources I count a 990ADV with the stock scorpions and hard bags, a decent bit of dirt experience albeit on a real dirtbike, the thirty words of spanish you learn eating at taquerias, a passport, and a generally happy-go-lucky attitude.

Is this certain to end in disaster? Anything obvious I'm missing? Suggestions on places to see / eat / stay at given the broad outlines of my trip?
jaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
You can certainly have an interesting weekend just south of the border in Baja, but the disaster you fear could well happen and be of your own making if you insist on drinking tequila, or whatever other alcohol stuff.
Why would you be going in the first place - to explore ? or to get drunked up.? And your book, you can read that at home,just like tequila,no? Neither will really tell you little about Mexico

My suggestion would be to head through Tijuana and dawdle on down to Ensenada along the coast ,lots of stops, enjoy the scenery and visit a few restaurants for the food expeience you seek- but NO booze,.You need all your faculties intact.I get the creeps everytime I am in a restaurant and see people taking in lots of alcohol and then stepping outside and riding/driving away.
Spend a night in Ensenada and then- sober- return north via Mex 3 to Tecate and the USA. You will have gotten valuable Mexican experience,no great planning required.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
For the weekend you describe, I suggest a quick shot to San Felipe. It's low key and easy.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
jaek OP
knucklehead

Oddometer: 101
Thanks for the San Felipe tip - I went down there and had a good time. Other than getting lost on the very sandy road to Mike's Sky Ranch, at night, with the stock Scorpions. Fun times. If I have any good pictures I'll put something in trip reports.
jaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I also took a quick trip down to San Felipe but it was via Ensenada. The ride between Ensenda and San Felipe was an adventure. All types of riding conditions. I went in mid Febuary, the weather was great, good food, friendly people, nice riding. A few of us on this site are planning on going back down in September. A longer trip maybe down to Cabo. If you're interested, pm me
Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
For the weekend you describe, I suggest a quick shot to San Felipe. It's low key and easy.
+1 and you can ride a few miles further down towards Puertocitos, which is interesting, and still be back in Santa Monica late Sunday evening...