User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
round the block don OP
soreass

Oddometer: 129
Silverwing or TMAX?

Both are highly discounted right now and the SW with ABS is actually $200 less than the TMAX. It will be my wife's who started riding last year on a Suzuki GS500 and never really felt comfortable with a clutch and shifting gears, etc. I'm wondering which way to go. ABS is a plus, the TMAX is 50 lbs. lighter but the seat is 2 inches taller, so which would she be less likely to drop? She's 5'10" and 170 lbs. btw. We're looking forward to daytrips and maybe some overnight trips. i'll be on my own motorcycle. Will the TMAX cruise as comfortably as the SW with its smaller motor? Are there any maintenance or reliability considerations? I do feel that either one will be a good choice but I'd like some opinions.
round the block don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Just tell her to plop her rump on the back of the Silver Wing and hush up. She'll be more comfy on the Wing.

If you're scared of a manual transmission, you get booted to passenger status.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
lastmanout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Sounds like the Honda has a lot bigger discount (better deal). Has your wife sat on both machines (while on the centerstand) for ten minutes or better? (To get an idea of saddle time). Which one allows her feet to touch the ground (off the centerstand). Which one 'feels" better to her? Which has the color she likes? The Tmax has great performance- the Honda is a little more mellow and will have higher resale. My local Honda dealer is an arse, my local Yammie dealer tacks on lots of shipping, so I am still deciding which way to go myself (probably a used yamaha majesty). In your case. the Honda looks better IMO.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
The t-max will be 'sportier'-handling, while the silverwing should be more comfortable for long trips.

I would recommend the silverwing in this instance, esp. for overnight trips and whatnot. In addition to a comfier seat and a seating position that just felt a tad more relaxed to me, the swing's storage area should be larger as well.

This:
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/newb...at-Storage.htm

makes my reflex jealous.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #5
round the block don OP
soreass

Oddometer: 129
Thanks for the input. The honda is discounted a whopping $4200. Here in Canada that means a drop from $10999 to $6799. and I made an offer of $6799, tax in [13%] and no freight and dealer prep charges. To my surprise they accepted and I told them I'd decide by today.

The Yamaha dealer had the TMAX marked down from around $10500 to $6999, including the already installed rear rack and backrest and he also would sell at that price tax in.

They're both great deals. I think the resale on the Honda would be better because the Silverwing is better known and conjurs up images of a mini-goldwing whereas the TMAX is largely unknown and many people might tend to group it, unfairly, with a Burgman 400, or whatever, and think of it as not in the same class as the Silverwing.

Resale is only one aspect to consider, but can't be ignored as it will determine the real cost of ownnership. But, I do want to buy the bike that will be the most enjoyable, easy and safe to ride.

Anyone else?
round the block don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
notdave
gets bored easily

Oddometer: 152
honda for sure. bigger and more comfortable. ABS is a great thing to have
Old 06-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,916
+1 on the Honda with ABS but either one is a winner.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
gore-tx
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,287
Tmax. Hands down. Nothing handles like it and most people think it's a motorcycle. Tons of accessories available.
gore-tx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx
Tmax. Hands down. Nothing handles like it and most people think it's a motorcycle. Tons of accessories available.

Handling isn't her top priority though, sounds like she wants to get away from motorcycles toward something better at touring.

With that in mind you honestly think the t-max is better suited than the silverwing?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Cosmic_Jumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
If it is of any consequence to your decision; The S/Wing is definitely a Feet-Forward ride. The two or three T-Max's I've see locally were ridden in the 'full toilet' position.

Tuff choice. Go with which ever is the most comfortable.
Cosmic_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
rtking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Silverwing for touring. As others have stated,ABS is great to have.

Tmax is an outstanding bike and I love mine, but if the focus is comfort and touring, I ink the Silverwing or even a Suzuki Burgman may work out better.
rtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #12
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking
Silverwing for touring. As others have stated,ABS is great to have.

Tmax is an outstanding bike and I love mine, but if the focus is comfort and touring, I ink the Silverwing or even a Suzuki Burgman may work out better.
+1000
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
gore-tx
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch
Handling isn't her top priority though, sounds like she wants to get away from motorcycles toward something better at touring.

With that in mind you honestly think the t-max is better suited than the silverwing?
I think that if she wants to get away from motorcycle, the Tmax is still the better option. It pretty much rides like a motorcycle but has all the amenities of a scooter. As far as touring is concerned, you can tour on anything. The Tmax has loads of accessories to make it more comfortable or touring oriented. The Silverwing will never catch/ can't catch up on handling. And the Tmax has better brakes too (in case we want to throw in safety issues in the mix).
gore-tx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx
I think that if she wants to get away from motorcycle, the Tmax is still the better option. It pretty much rides like a motorcycle but has all the amenities of a scooter. As far as touring is concerned, you can tour on anything.
This means your help is worthless :(

That's like responding to a "any good restaurants in town?" by saying "just walk through a field until you find dog poop and eat that... you cean eat anything"

Yes you can hypothetically tour on anything... she could get a skateboard! But some stuff tours better than others, just like some scooters handle better than others (tmax, in this instance). The silverwing is more comfortable all around and has more storage, not to mention more power for highway passing.

Quote:
The Tmax has loads of accessories to make it more comfortable or touring oriented. The Silverwing will never catch/ can't catch up on handling. And the Tmax has better brakes too (in case we want to throw in safety issues in the mix).
The t-max has dual discs up front, but 3 discs is hardly better than 2 on something with extremely limited traction, assuming the 2 disc bike brakes adequately (which the silverwing does). The swing also has abs, which the tmax doesnt. And yeah, we can argue all day about whether a world class motorcyclist can out-perform abs in the dry, I have a feeling his wife (nor most of the people in this forum) are at that level of skill. And in the wet or adverse conditions not even the best racers can compete with ABS.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you keep pushing for the most motorcycle-ish, best handling scooter in a thread where that's immaterial, while discounting the things that are actually driving the decision. You even said "I think that if she wants to get away from a motorcycle" and then go on to suggest the t-max based on how similar it is to a motorcycle because it's the most similar to a motorcycle. Where's the sense in that?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,919
Burgman!!!!!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is online now   Reply With Quote