User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #76
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Le Emuck!

What a wonderful little island, how charming and what fun! You can surely sense the difference between French and the mainlanders....
There was a picture of what I think was a traditional fishermans Dory, the Le Catchalot, which plucked my heartstrings as I am very much into wooden boats of the small kind. What beautiful lines!
Loved the pic of Sharon and the General....if you notice in the previous picture of him, he had his eyes on her already...be careful Elmer, you know how smooth talking these Frenchies are!!
Glad to see you were extending on the island, it would appear to be quite a wonderful place to explore, loved the colorful paint schemes on the buildings as well.
You two sure do a great job of describing your journeys, I should think you would do well with a short book of each of your journeys kind of a travelog of all the places you have found in your travels good and bad to help future travelers find the good stuff!
Looking forward to the next installment....
koi
Old 06-19-2010, 02:59 AM   #77
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Around & about St. Pierre

Sharon posting here...Our B&B owner, Inez took me in her car and drove me around the island which has 70.8 miles of paved roads and 28 miles of unpaved roads (I would not have believed it if Inez didn't take me around).

First a few pictures in the town...

Crab packaging plant...

one of my favorite picture...few people live on this island across the way from St. Pierre (5 minutes by boat) during summer months only...

this part is connected to mainland of St. Pierre

road leads to the outskirts of St. Pierre...

many horses on this island...

Bessie....not many cows here. St. Pierre gets their milk from Newfoundland.

le beach.....

this is the lobster rock because lobsters are always swimming around this rock... lobsters can be for the taking by locals and they wade in the water during summer months and catch them.

France is over that a way.....

and few other pictures that did not download

We leave today at 1400 hrs on the ferry back to Fortune, NL and work our way towards St. John's. Going out to pick up a few good pastries before we go on le diet!!

Au Revoir...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:52 AM   #78
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZ1
Actually, the "General" looks like a Préfet (Prefect) to me. IOW, he is a civilian (prefects are representatives in the provinces of the French government).

And, although Tabarly was indeed lost at sea (I think his body washed ashore in southern England a few weeks later), it was not the Southern Seas but the Irish sea, long after his transatlantic sailing victories.
RAZ...you're right, I stand corrected.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:18 AM   #79
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

this morning..

le breakfast.....

our hostess...her B&B is "Chez Inez" Inez is a native St. Pierrian born & raised on the island as her parents were. Her sisters & brother are still here except 1 niece who lives in France. If you come....stay with her!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #80
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Le post!

More amazing pictures of such a quaint island and residents.
Isn't the French way of presenting food the absolute best!!?
Bet y'all are gonna miss this place when you go....I know I'd probably find a way to stay there if it was me....what a charming place and people.
Oh, btw...Bessie is a bull....don't think you can get milk out of that one

Thanks so much for all the wonderful pictures and information.....
koi
Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #81
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by koifarm
More amazing pictures of such a quaint island and residents.
Isn't the French way of presenting food the absolute best!!?
Bet y'all are gonna miss this place when you go....I know I'd probably find a way to stay there if it was me....what a charming place and people.
Oh, btw...Bessie is a bull....don't think you can get milk out of that one

Thanks so much for all the wonderful pictures and information.....
koi
Hey there Koi.... oh, so Bessie is a bull--then who's the cow?? What do I know...after all, I'm a city girl (born & bred in Brooklyn, NY) and saw a first live cow when I was 22 years old. Guess I still don't know names but I think I can tell a bull from a cow.

You're right about the French....love the food presentation and they also taste wonderful. You can never go wrong with the French and oh, the sauce!! We will have to find a way to shed those lbs we slurped on the past few days.

Saw an old house up for sale next to our B&B...for 800k and it needs to be fixed up!! Anybody have 800k to give away? We will miss the place!
Old 06-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #82
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Le Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Hey there Koi.... oh, so Bessie is a bull--then who's the cow?? What do I know...after all, I'm a city girl (born & bred in Brooklyn, NY) and saw a first live cow when I was 22 years old. Guess I still don't know names but I think I can tell a bull from a cow.

You're right about the French....love the food presentation and they also taste wonderful. You can never go wrong with the French and oh, the sauce!! We will have to find a way to shed those lbs we slurped on the past few days.

Saw an old house up for sale next to our B&B...for 800k and it needs to be fixed up!! Anybody have 800k to give away? We will miss the place!
Well Sharon, there is a possibility Bessie is a steer but since we can't determine that from the picture (which would also confirm the cow/bull status) we can safely call her/him a four legged herbivore which can be converted to Le Boeuf Bourguignon. That way we're all safe...and with full bellies...
Old 06-20-2010, 04:22 AM   #83
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
I saw you passing through grand falls-windsor on the highway, if your not back through yet, please feel free to contact me for a coffee etc..

enjoy the rest of your trip!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #84
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack
I saw you passing through grand falls-windsor on the highway, if your not back through yet, please feel free to contact me for a coffee etc..

enjoy the rest of your trip!
Yo kojack...thanks for the invite, you people on this Rock rock

However, I we're currently in St. John's, some R&R till Tuesday then we'll head home shipbound from Argentia to Nova Scotia....will miss you.
Have a good summer and ride far, ride safe.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #85
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Long distance and cold weather riding....101!

First a few more incredible lunch dishes before we left St. Pierre. Then NO more foodie ads .

Our fare well lunch ....Escargott a la St.Pierre

Local Cheeses....Goat and Brie...

The sister of the Bed & Breakfast proprietor bid us Bon Voyage to the mainland.

The sail was quite rough and rolly, a few school kids heaved otherwise the trip was uneventful and fast back to Fortune.

We decided to call it a night in Marystown as the city of St. John's would be another 3.5 hours after having arrived from Fortune at 1700 hrs.

MARYSTOWN....

You might be wondering how we keep warm as well as how we house the bike and rig.

Her cockpit is covered when unattended. The cockpit cover top can be unrolled to expose a rain/cold weather poncho. When riding solo the windshield can be lowered flush with the sidecar and covered with the cockpit cover thus lowering fuel consumption when riding.

Semi cool day ride setup..

Cold and rainy day setup

Gerbings heated apparel connectionbuild in the sidecar....warm and toasty for the Missus..

Same setup for the MasterChief...

Extra fuel containment...20l Jerry Can..

Another 2 gallons attached to the passenger pegs..

Total fuel available= Motorcycle> 5.2gal....Jerry can> 2.5gal...Passenger peg> 2 gal..= 9.7gal.. enough for (+-) 250 miles at 70 mpgh...

On the way out of Marystown we spied a Oil rig being serviced in this cove.

Shades of BP????

The route from Fortune..Marystown to..TransCanada #1 is so desolate and intiminating...stark,,,cold...isolated..

At the Juction of 210 and Can#1 we met the same French couple that was on St. Pierre. The couple in their late 70's were so enamored in our way of travel that they had to chat with us again. Them in a Mercedes-Benz diesel powered small RV traveling around NFLD. Nice oldie pair...very adventurous.

On the way toward St. John's we got blasted with a moving cold foggy front that was funneling itself through the Fijord there. Very cold and blasting winds hit us crosswise...

Finally made it int St. John's and we knew we were there when we spied...

It's a horse...that barks..

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 06-21-2010 at 08:10 AM
Old 06-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #86
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
No problem, next time look me up....I saw your setup crusin down the highway and thought that was the coolest shit ever! ha ha. Have a safe journey, and tell all your bike friends about this great place!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #87
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Downtown ST. John's, NFLD

Got into town...booked a Motel...and went in search for Bar food..

This is the harbor entrance of St. John's, one of the most protected harbor entrance bar none. Europe is that away...

Entrance/exit of harbour. Notice Signal Hill atop the cliff.....will sclae it tomorrwo weather permitting..

Monument honoring St. John's war dead..

Honoring our arrival...

Street Art...

Harley Davidson riders patronizing coffee shops

Hey, HD's...bars are that away..<<<<

The town has about over 100 bars and we counted about 38 bars during our foot trip on Water street and Georges St....too many to list. All serve excellent drinks and food..make your pick and here are a few to many

We chose this one...

A Guiness being born...

One must wait for it to come to life..

There she is ready to be enjoyed...

Sharon already made friends after downing a GUINESS...

A Richards for me and a GUINESS for the fair lady who put up with me all over Newfoundland....Cheers

Today is Fathers Day: I salute to the Fathers of the World and most of all cheers to my son in law who will become a father in November

" Oh, Irish Eyes..how green they are..Oh, Auld Lang Syne.....Buurrpp.".

There was a lovely Damsel from Prince Edward Island who we befriended at Shamrock, who insisted that you're no Newfie unless you do some " Screech"...

"Screech" we did and then wash it down with Irish Beers...woooooweee...

There she is..KELLY, the red haired Damsel who introduced Screech to us

What's he singin....

Bbuurrppp....ZZzzzzz...Hick!!!!

CURE Prostates....Ride a BMW...

Nighty Night till tomorrow
Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #88
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Pretty Barring!

Damn, no shortage of bars there hey?......must be the way to while away those cold winter nights!!
Were you guys doing karioke?
Is Screech a whiskey? The Guiness looks scrumptious....mmmmm...
Old 06-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #89
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
So St. Johns is the town with 150 bars? Rite? I supposed I could live there! Grin...

Great pictures of NL!! I can actually smell the place and taste the beer!!!

Soooo jealous of you guys!

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #90
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Koifarm..."Screech" is a Newfoundland Rum...pretty good not too heavy or biteful, kind of smooth....better than a Shooter.

Tom... Yep, it's the place but many are scattered about Town. You can actually go directly to 38 of them, the rest are a bit of foot trotting or car rides. The foods they serve in the bars is heavy on fried stuff and everything is always garnished with FRIES...fries..and more Fries...Oh, Man I am outta Potatos . The Beers are good, smooth and just at right temps to that you can taste them not so friggin' cold like in the US. Many are local brews...hhmmnnnnn