Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #91
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Rains are forecast tomorrow...RAINS, I mean R-A-I-N-S..., grrrr,,,,,,more Rain on Tuesday our departure day....Ahem....we're used to it. Planning on climbing atop Signal Hill.
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #92
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hey, Barhopping Champs!
I might stop subscription to AAA and National Geography magazines. U are everything and everywhere. Fabalous! Why coming home soon?
Smile!
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #93
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Howdy guys!

Am quite sure you are SICK of rain by now but trust you must prod on neverthless. Funny I was wondering about the crib's set up in event of the rain. Looks like Sharon is absoluetly unaffected by the rains from the looks of the crib cover. Cleverly crafted!

Is the amount of rain usual up there or was it highly unusual?

As always, I have traveled with you throughout with my trusty AAA maps with great interest and envy. Virtually followed you every inch of the way.

Oh those bars in St. John's! I would have certainly "painted the town red" or is it "green" with you guys and doing a good job!

Hope to see you guys at NAD in Philly.

I hope to be acknowledged this time, have phunny guys! Maybe you have overlooked my reply the last time.

Take care!
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #94
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Sounds like you're turning south. Should I set a leg of lamb out to thaw yet?

Pete
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #95
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennymiler
Howdy guys!

Am quite sure you are SICK of rain by now but trust you must prod on neverthless. Funny I was wondering about the crib's set up in event of the rain. Looks like Sharon is absoluetly unaffected by the rains from the looks of the crib cover. Cleverly crafted!

Is the amount of rain usual up there or was it highly unusual?

As always, I have traveled with you throughout with my trusty AAA maps with great interest and envy. Virtually followed you every inch of the way.

Oh those bars in St. John's! I would have certainly "painted the town red" or is it "green" with you guys and doing a good job!

Hope to see you guys at NAD in Philly.

I hope to be acknowledged this time, have phunny guys! Maybe you have overlooked my reply the last time.

Take care!
Yo...PennyMiler...nope you're never forgotten, just sometimes am too exhausted to even type a dot on the PC.

You absolutely must travel on #210 from Canada #1 to Fortune; just to see and feel what this environment brings to your hearty soul....you'll go through cold thermals, warm thermals...fog..rains...total steppes...!! Like being on Mars. It's all nature....ponds...lake....cold venturied fast moving fogs that come in with the tides. Hang on dear life when the cross winds try to blow you off the saddle....woooo. No Gas...no eats....just Nature they way it's always been. But sooooo lovely....

Am never sick of rain it's just a bit more inconvenient....getting in and out of gear and most isolated gas stations don't have any overhangs. High winds there can blow them away so no overhangs. Bascially we are pretty dry but I see that my BMW boot has finally sprung a leak after 20,000 miles. Got it Scotchguarded the other day. Will find out tomorrow if it works.... Raining today like dogs and cats....not too cold. Sharons out on a boat tour while I am resting my weary bod watching the FIFA world cup.....

More Fish and Chips tonight and some gallons of Richards + a Screecher

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 02:29 PM
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #96
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox
Sounds like you're turning south. Should I set a leg of lamb out to thaw yet?

Pete
Yep, we're heading south as of tomorrow via Ship, then might take the Missus around the western site of the Cabot trail if she so desires. Don't know yet which way we're heading. Moncton....Fredricton...Quebec...!
Am trying to linger in Canada as much as possible..really love it here. Might then shoot down from Sherbrooke or St. Jean-Sur-Richelieu???? to Vermont.

I am of course ready to get my teeth into a leg of Lamb after having had my fill of seafood and be licked to death by your dogs . Will let you know of our wherebouts and whatabouts.....THANKS...
Cheers.........
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #97
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafPOPEYE
Hey, Barhopping Champs!
I might stop subscription to AAA and National Geography magazines. U are everything and everywhere. Fabalous! Why coming home soon?
Smile!
Yo Popeye....

Did post to your reply...hhmmnnn...didn't come through. Coming slowly home ggrrr.....Sharon has to attend the NAD that is being held in Philly. Political and voting for a new Chief as well got to rest for the TAT. Hey, wanna buy my DRZ and go with Julius while I rest up my bones after this trip???
Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #98
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,352
Maybe it will be all rained out when I get there next week.

Yea, I know, wishfull thinking. Still one can only hope.

You guys going to be in Vermont for the U.S.C.A. National? Would be nice to meet up with you there.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #99
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR
Maybe it will be all rained out when I get there next week.

Yea, I know, wishfull thinking. Still one can only hope.

You guys going to be in Vermont for the U.S.C.A. National? Would be nice to meet up with you there.

When I transitted the TLH in July of 2008 sans sidecar on the 1200GS I basically had pretty good GS weather with just a bit of rain showers now and then.

LOVE to come to the Vermont Sidecar rally, but got to get into Philly by the 5th for the Missus to earn my bike dollars ...dunno I can run back to Vermont for the U.S.C.A National, ggrrrr.....
Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #100
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,558
Elmer wrote:
>>LOVE to come to the Vermont Sidecar rally, but got to get into Philly by the 5th for the Missus to earn my bike dollars ...dunno I can run back to Vermont for the U.S.C.A National, ggrrrr.....<<

There are 5 hacks (so far) leaving our shop for Vermont on the morning of the 7th....come on up and join the parade :-)

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #101
Silent Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
(adopting Khruschev character) Banging my shoe on table, "NYET NYET"
Hey old bones, there will be no backing out of TAT.
Silent Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #102
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
Elmer wrote:

There are 5 hacks (so far) leaving our shop for Vermont on the morning of the 7th....come on up and join the parade :-)
I've been riding a hack for a whole TWO WEEKS now and have yet to see another. This rally is going to be a real treat!

There is a nice package of lamb set aside in the freezer, a bottle of red in the basement chilling, dogs salivating in the hope that the wayward couple turn out to be sloppy eaters.

Pete and Tamara
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #103
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

St, John's Walkabouts....

Claude....Por Favor...Oh, Man...oh man, how I would like to come to the sidecar rally could even bring a case of Newfoundland Screech... but it's not to be..maybe next year...snatch!!!

Scaled the Historical steep Signal Hill all in 1st gear: thanks to the ceramic clutch...got there without a hitch.

Just another 0.5 mile to the top...

Got there and a horde of visitors wanted to be photographed with the Signal Station and us

Inside the building...

View from the top of the tower

It's been said that the Signal Hill was the first to get an SOS message from the stricken Titanic..

Overlooking the protected Harbor of St. John's from Signal Hill...
A perfect barrier to invaders...

The grave of the Titanic lies 365 miles from Signal Hill..

View from Signal Hill...

Then we went for breakfast...

oh la la cappuccino for lady Sharon...

then I (Sharon) went out on a tour boat while Elmer watched le soccer....

The Battery sits on the entrance to the harbour located on the slopes of Signal Hill. Sometimes described as an outport within the city of St. John's. The area is noted for its steep slopes, colourful houses, and its importance as a battery for the defense of St. John's Harbour in both World Wars.
The Battery is home to Chain Rock, a land outcropping to which a large chain and anti-submarine boom were attached connecting to Fort Amherst in order to prevent the entry of German U-boats into the harbour during World War II. Chain Rock is one of two rocks located on opposite sides of the Narrows, Chain Rock on the battery side and Pancake Rock on the opposite. The space between the two rocks is 174 meters. Chain Rock and Pancake Rock were used as early as 1770. A chain was stretched between both rocks by means of a capstan at nightfall to prevent illegal entry of enemy ships. During World War I the chain was replaced with anti-submarine nets.

bird gathering...mostly seagulls but there were a few gannets flying around. Saw a few puffins but they were too far and flew too fast to photograph!

bad hair day at sea!!

Even though we didn't see any whale or puffins up close, the boat ride was an added highlight of my day in St. John's. It rained off and on then as soon as the boat docked the sky opened up and it poured all afternoon/evening.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 06-21-2010 at 05:34 PM
Old 06-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #104
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

GOODBYE ST. JOHN'S..we'll miss you

Here's our last dinner at Zacharia's before leaving the Rock tomorrow. Next dinner will be on the ship at 2000 hrs...

Seafood Fettucine..

Stir Fried seafood over rice..

Nigthy night to you all till the next episode..
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #105
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
One if by land.......

What a cool .....amazing history behind the story of the island and the signal house, cool place to putz around and see the sights....
I'll have the Fettucini please.....
Thanks again for taking the time to document and post your travels and places....what a fun ride.
Hope Elmer gets to feeling better, he seemed stressed over the length of your travels and more especially the poopy weather, a likely reason for feeling that way....rest easy Elmer...
koi