Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Question Where in the world can you find cheap bike rentals?

My last moto trip was to Thailand, in large part because of easy availability of decent motorcycles for rent. For about $35/day, I got a Kawi ER-6. (long term discounts are possible.) ER-6 is certainly no top performer, but it's a quality bike with very respectable performance.

Before choosing Thailand, I was looking at several other countries. My initial impression is that most developed and undeveloped countries have only 2 rental options; 1) really crappy low-cc 'bikes' at low cost, or 2) expensive BMWs/KTMs/ETC catering to tourists willing to pay $150/day. Usually nothing in between. Sad.

I know there are places out there where decent bikes can be rented cheaply. This is why I am starting this thread. Please add your suggestions.

Reference:
Ridetheworld.com motorcycle rental places
Adventure Motorcycle Tours resource

Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Thailand and Laos specific resource:
GT-Rider
Bikes like Kawi Er-6, Yamaha XJR 1200, Honda SLR650 can be had for about $35/day.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

India:
Goa, New Delhi, and possibly other cities have 500cc Royal Enfields available at $30-45/day. Source.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
stef25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I've biked around Northern Thailand on rented bikes many times, know what you mean! Also went to Costa Rica once, rented a bike from Wild Riders. Before I got a bike from them I found some BMW and KTM garages in San Jose where I think you can get bikes for your budget. And off to India on an Enfield at the end of the year.

The Sahara Overland book mentions some places in Morocco where you can rent all road bikes for what seemed like a fair price. Other than that ... not many places I think.
stef25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Ridersam
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I spent a week riding the south island of New Zealand last year. It was the off-season, and I rented an SV650 with saddle bags and all the gear for NZ$110/day. When I booked it and paid for it, the exchange rate was favorable; I think it cost me about US$85 /day.

http://www.motorcycle-hire.co.nz/
Ridersam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
Thailand and Laos specific resource:
GT-Rider
Bikes like Kawi Er-6, Yamaha XJR 1200, Honda SLR650 can be had for about $35/day.
And look at Vietnam. I've read/heard that small bikes are relatively inexpensive, and the experiences are great.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

This thread is more depressing than I expected.

So far, we have good leads for cheap bike rentals for Thailand, India, Costa Rica, Vietnam. (I would say NZ is getting expensive)
Old 07-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
stef25
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
And look at Vietnam. I've read/heard that small bikes are relatively inexpensive, and the experiences are great.
When in Vietnam, a Minsk is the bike to get.

Quote:
Belching smoke and revving high pitch whine, the Minsk is the cast iron machine geared to challenge the unexplored territory hidden throughout northern Vietnam. Chiseled from steel, welded with rust and camouflaged in mud, the Minsk is the sweaty workhorse of Vietnam's rural economy
Minsk Club Vietnam website.

Here's one I rented:

The go to guy for these bikes is Cuong in Hanoi (Address: Anh Cuong, 1 Luong Ngoc Quyen street, Hanoi). We rented two off him and hammered the shit out of them between Hanoi and Sapa ("The Grand NW Loop out to Dien Bien Phu and Sapa", route map). Fun bikes, amazing scenery. Price is negligible at 5USD / day.

stef25 screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 03:13 PM
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Stef25, thank you for the additional info. Vietnam is very high on my to do list.

I recently went to Bogota, Colombia. You would think that with 8 million people and plenty of cheap Indian bikes, it would be possible to rent a bike. But it is not. It is very, very hard.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 619
How about this place in Cambodia? I cannot recommend the business as I have never used it, but the country and the dirt roads I can and an XR250 for $25 a day seems like a good way of seeing it.

http://www.motorcyclecambodia.com/
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
India:
Goa, New Delhi, and possibly other cities have 500cc Royal Enfields available at $30-45/day. Source.
If you're payin those rates in India, you're getting robbed.

The going rate is 700 INR a day.

If you're going long term, used Enfields can be had for 15000 INR.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #12
stef25
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard
If you're payin those rates in India, you're getting robbed.

The going rate is 700 INR a day.

If you're going long term, used Enfields can be had for 15000 INR.
I'm actually doing this in a few months. Can you get a reliable bike for that price? I found a shop that rents out very new looking ones, shifter on the correct side + panniers for even more than that. Since I'm only there for 2 weeks I don't want to deal with breakdowns ... If you can recommend a place in Goa I'd love to hear it :)
Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef25
I'm actually doing this in a few months. Can you get a reliable bike for that price? I found a shop that rents out very new looking ones, shifter on the correct side + panniers for even more than that. Since I'm only there for 2 weeks I don't want to deal with breakdowns ... If you can recommend a place in Goa I'd love to hear it :)
Sorry, no experience in Goa, only Delhi (I should of qualified that in my post).

We did have some minor problems with the Enfields: oil use, brake pads, blown horn relays and a bad starter motor. The good news is that Enfields are everywhere in India, finding a mechanic is easy, parts are hit and miss.

We were able to get all but the starter motor fixed ("oh, not possible, sir, big problem!). One of the guys (misery goat) rode the Manali-Leh-Srinagar loop without brakes.

When I do it again, I'll be sure to start with extra front brake pads and spare horn relays.

Something is bound to happen, but it's India and that's part of the adventure.

Good luck!
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #14
halliwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
try to make it down to peru in the next two years, anyone got suggestions? if not I'll try to remember to post what I find when I go
halliwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Looks like this thread is starting to provide some nice cheap rental options across the world. Nice!

I was just looking at rental places in South Africa and it looks like it's the land of expensive BMW/KTMs and nothing else. That is unfortunate.