Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #16
attila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Try SE Europe with a Yamaha TDM 850 for 60 EUR/day or BMW F650 at 50 EUR/day, rentals from Romania
attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Try SE Europe with a Yamaha TDM 850 for 60 EUR/day or BMW F650 at 50 EUR/day, rentals from Romania
That's pretty decent. Got a specific place in mind? I would like to do an Eastern Europe Tour one day. (I'm originally from EE).
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
heart_of_darkness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
The popular SE Asian countries (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) all have the ubiquitous Honda scooters ("motorbikes") for very cheap. The lowest I paid was US$3 / day, the most was about US$12/day.

Honda 250cc dirt bikes are also very common and usually US$15-25/day. You really don't need a larger bike given the road conditions.
heart_of_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #19
Crespo

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Looks like this thread is starting to provide some nice cheap rental options across the world. Nice!

I was just looking at rental places in South Africa and it looks like it's the land of expensive BMW/KTMs and nothing else. That is unfortunate.
Check this post out: South Africa motorcycle rental
Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #20
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the link, Crespo. That looks like a really good option. I already found someone from Wilddogz forum to rent me a bike and I'll go to Johannesburg, but for anyone going to Capetown, these are pretty good rates for multiday.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
BigShow
Scallywag/Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Manley View Post
How about this place in Cambodia? I cannot recommend the business as I have never used it, but the country and the dirt roads I can and an XR250 for $25 a day seems like a good way of seeing it.

http://www.motorcyclecambodia.com/

I can vouch for these guys. The motor was emaculatly maintained and the agreement was that they would either send a mech and or arrange shipping back to Phnom Penh if you broke down or had a spill.

when I rented I paid around $12 a day and if was extra for the insurance depending what you wanted. I had fellow expats to ride with and did not need the insurance. If you do go give me a jingle and I can hook you up with some other sites re riding cambodia...

BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
jendalepic
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
And look at Vietnam. I've read/heard that small bikes are relatively inexpensive, and the experiences are great.
I rented a Honda Wave 110 ccm for 55 USD/month in a small rental in the Hanoi Old Town (21.031893,105.847513 ...google maps) this summer. The cheapest bike you could get was even 10 dollars cheaper, but had only a drum brake in the front and we were travelling two up. We did problem-free 2000 km on it (it had 8000 km when we rented it). I have only changed the oil as a precaution and had the chain adjusted after about 1400 km of driving...there were no problems with it, even in the mouintains in deep mud (my girlfriend had to walk sometimes...but never more than few hundreds of meters). All locals drive such bikes, so why can't you? :) The only Minsks I have seen were driven by tourists...
jendalepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #23
stef25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
[QUOTE=jendalepic;15252991 The only Minsks I have seen were driven by tourists...[/QUOTE]

The further up in the hills you get the more locals you see on Minsks.
stef25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #24
jendalepic
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef25 View Post
The further up in the hills you get the more locals you see on Minsks.
Whatever, I don't want to argue :) I just wanted to say, that there is a different way than renting rather pricey Minsks...
jendalepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

I do not count a 110cc scooter as a motorcycle.

What are the better alternatives to a Minsk that are actually motorcycles?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #26
snay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Rental in New Delhi, India

I have rented from a guy in New Delhi. I would recommend him. 350cc Royal Enfield, single cylinder. Didnt have any trouble going all the way to the highest motorable road in the world.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snay View Post
I have rented from a guy in New Delhi. I would recommend him.
Name, contact info?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #28
snay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Contact info for Royal Enfield rentals in New Delhi, India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Name, contact info?
Name: Jitender Motors
Number: +91-11-2696-2790
Old 03-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #29
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
In Delhi there is also Rhajeev Whadwa; Rally Rider and a good guy; unfortunately I don't have his number.
His shop is the first bike shop on the right side when you enter the bike market in Karol Bag.

I recommend the Honda Karizma; at 220 cc it's as powerfull as a 350 Enfield and much more reliable.

In Goa it's absolutely easy to find a rental; just go to a tourist place and talk with the guys on the rates and recommendations; I again advide the Karizma.
Bajaj Pulsar or TVS Apache are also good bikes, but the riding position is a bit sporty
asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #30
Culcune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Living in Yuma, Arizona on the US/Mexico border where two US states and two Mexican states meet, I have thought about opening a rental outlet. However, it seems difficult to pull one off without the high costs, and I would end up having to charge $150/day for a Harley or something more adventure oriented (I am assuming people want to ride into Mexico).

There might be people actually interested in doing a Mexico or all-out South American trip reading this, so what would you want (I guess I can do some market research)?

One option not mentioned on this thread for anywhere in the world is the rental/purchase option where you buy a bike and the dealer will buy it back from you (or you just sell it off). Two issues I am finding problematic is registration and bikes themselves.

Arizona is not a state that tourists can buy bikes from and register them easily in their name (however, California is much easier), without having relatives who live here.

Bikes? The only bikes I could think of that would work as far as costs go would be Qingqi-sourced dirtbikes, such as the US distributed Qlink XP200 or XF200 (another company will soon be selling a 250cc version of the motard here in the US). The advantages--I can get them wholesale priced and they are the same bike underneath as the DR200, and they are found throughout south of the US and have had good things said about them here on ADVrider and Horizons. The disadvantages? I want to get input from people on whether or not they would be interested in this as a reality or theoretically (please give me the whole devil's advocate scale).
Culcune is offline   Reply With Quote