User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
FargAT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Dual Sports with Shaft drive...

I've been wondering which dualsports are out there that have a shaft drive, other than the BMW GS series.

Basically, I'm thinking about going dual sport for my next bike, after the Concours 14 has outlived its usefulness, but really don't want to deal with another chain in my riding life.

So, what's out there with a shaft drive and dual sport and what's your experience?

F.
FargAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 960
guzzi stelvio

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
I love my Guzzi Quota
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
JFlame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
If you lived in Europe you could get the Yamaha Super Tenere, but alas, it's not available in the US...yet.

www.yamahasupertenere.com

JFlame screwed with this post 06-26-2010 at 12:06 PM
JFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargAT
I've been wondering which dualsports are out there that have a shaft drive, other than the BMW GS series.

Basically, I'm thinking about going dual sport for my next bike, after the Concours 14 has outlived its usefulness, but really don't want to deal with another chain in my riding life.

So, what's out there with a shaft drive and dual sport and what's your experience?

F.

You have one of their final drives crap out on you and you'll be begging for a chain.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
Spuds
On my way home

Oddometer: 515
Honda xlv 750r
Most beautiful in the red, black and gold color combination.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,383
Is the HP2 in the GS series bikes?

One of the local riders here has one. Great bike and he is really fast on it too.

Ray
When the system fails you, what then?? Do you fight it or just surrender and give up? If all seems doomed what is left to fight for? Is it just me or does the world seem to close in on you when you seem to be making ground? Options are dwindling down, what comes next? And in the words of Pink Floyd "Is there anybody out there". All I know is I WILL SURVIVE.
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
FargAT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones
You have one of their final drives crap out on you and you'll be begging for a chain.
I've had both. Chain and Shaft - prefer the shaft drive over the chain at any rate.
Super Tenere is not quite an option in the USA. The options are really slim on this side of the planet. I'd vote for the revival of the Africa Twin, make it an Africa (inline) Four and throw a shaft drive on the beast - voila.

@Ray:
Apparently not. What I was aiming for is a bike that has the long distance qualities of the GS series, yet with a realistic price tag.

F.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,512
Quote:
I've had both. Chain and Shaft - prefer the shaft drive over the chain at any rate.
You've had both failed on you?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 902
I have a Stelvio and it is a hoot to ride. Any of these litre class "DS" bikes from KTM, BMW, MG, Ducs, Tigers, Buells, et al, regardless chains, belts or shafts are all fun due to the ergonomics of these big "Adventure/Dual Sport" platforms. I've had great luck on my BMW and MG without fear of a final drive failure and gotten well into 20K + miles on my Triumph chain/sprockets. I would test ride as many as possible to check for the grin and comfort factor and let the final tie breaker be what spins the rear tire as well as dealership support, etc.

Good luck with the research
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
FargAT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
You've had both failed on you?
Nope. I had no fails so far. Whether I ride chain or shaft, both are maintained. I just prefer the shaft drive for it's much less maintenance and hassle. Downside is obvious - if the shaft goes, the price tag hurts worse than switching out a chain/sprocket. - but, "i cross that bridge when i don't find another way to swim across the river."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw
I would test ride as many as possible to check for the grin and comfort factor and let the final tie breaker be what spins the rear tire as well as dealership support, etc. Good luck with the research
Point well made. The Concours 14 has the smile factor, so does the GSA (sans the price tag ).
Given the preferred use of the GS series on many around the world tours, there's gotta be something to these bikes. I couldn't see myself taking the Concours 14 through more than a gravel road...and even that only with hesitance.
I'll continue to research to find the "ultimate tarmac fiend and dunes raider - with a shaft drive".

F.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Finskii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
I've been wondering which dualsports ....

F.
Not long ago I was talking to a bike mechanic in southern Patagonia and we got into "things ran into often but couldn't fix." And shaft drive failures was right up there.
Finskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,512
Quote:
Nope. I had no fails so far. Whether I ride chain or shaft, both are maintained. I just prefer the shaft drive for it's much less maintenance and hassle. Downside is obvious - if the shaft goes, the price tag hurts worse than switching out a chain/sprocket. - but, "i cross that bridge when i don't find another way to swim across the river."

Point well made. The Concours 14 has the smile factor, so does the GSA (sans the price tag ).
Given the preferred use of the GS series on many around the world tours, there's gotta be something to these bikes. I couldn't see myself taking the Concours 14 through more than a gravel road...and even that only with hesitance.
I'll continue to research to find the "ultimate tarmac fiend and dunes raider - with a shaft drive".

F.
Sorry to bust your bubble, but "dunes raider" gearing and pavement tourer are quite different, unless you want to have separate final drive unit ready for swap on your shaft drive moto, a "Dunes Raider" gearing might cause the engine to overheat on the pavement ride to the dunes.

I've experience with both type of final drive failure, chain drive motos are much easier to fix roadside.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
What happens when a FD is submerged in water? Can a check valve be placed to prevent water entering?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,791
It's too bad that enclosed chain drives went the way of the dodo bird. Keeping the dirt out and the lube in made the chain last a long long time with minimal maintenance but still allowed relatively easy gear ratio changes.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote