User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #181
twowheelflyer
n00b

Oddometer: 8
The new Hyper family

Just got back from Bologna where I attended the '13 Hyper family product training. We did get to do a short ride on the base model Hypermotard and I must say that this new bike is very impressive. The best thing was the throttle to rear wheel connection. The ride by wire system is a true wonderment. I stayed in the urban mode because it had snowed recently and our ride was on wet , sometimes muddy streets with snow on the sides of the road. It is important not to put bikes on the ground during a factory ride! The new 11 degree motor is a sweetheart, full stop. Great revablity and a fantasic snarl. I sampled it back to back with a 1100 sp and really felt a difference in the two frames. I really liked the initial impression of the front end feel on the new Hyper. The 1100 felt more "tucky". Of course this was far from ideal conditions and no where near what could be concluded on a warmer, dryer day. Also noticed the extra tourque of the 1100 and really missed the ability to change modes. I had to concentrate harder when opening the throttle on the 1100. Really excited about riding it more in March.
I know people will put more agressive tires on the Hyperstrada and use it for ADVing. I just wish it had a half gallon more fuel. I think it should go 180 miles with a gentle wrist.We did not ride the Hyperstrada or the SP.
Hell yes I want one...
twowheelflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #182
sebastianp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelflyer View Post
The new 11 degree motor is a sweetheart, full stop. Great revablity and a fantasic snarl. I sampled it back to back with a 1100 sp and really felt a difference in the two frames. I really liked the initial impression of the front end feel on the new Hyper. The 1100 felt more "tucky". Of course this was far from ideal conditions and no where near what could be concluded on a warmer, dryer day. Also noticed the extra tourque of the 1100 and really missed the ability to change modes.
How is the rideability and fuelling of the motor at low speeds? The previous air-cooled engines were terrible anywhere near inner cities, totally put me off getting one.

How torquey is the 820? You say you notice the absence compared to the 1100 motor :(. It's dissapointing seeing the bias towards high revving engines (if I want that I'd buy a triple or inline-4) over engines with big torquey punch (of which there are so few on the market).
sebastianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #183
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianp View Post
The previous air-cooled engines were terrible anywhere near inner cities ...
Not always & not all of them. The completely stock engine in my 2010 SP has always been perfect in any RPM range & works very well in the city.
Doesn’t quite match the low end torque of my Buell S1 or Ulysses but is way, way lighter & more fun to ride than the Ulysses.
My Buell S1 is actually lighter than my Hyper but it sure is a lot easier to do a U-turn on a narrow road or two lane street on the Hyper since the Buells have pretty limited steering lock.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #184
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,337
I’m not so sure that we are talking apple to apples, inner cities in Europe are not the same as inner cities in the Americas, pretty sure we have much higher speeds on our city streets than they do cross the pond

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #185
twowheelflyer
n00b

Yah, the fueling was what was so impressive to me. We also had a KTM990SMT along for comparason and it was terrible. I really question the factory releasing that model and not noticing that huge ride-ability flaw. There was nothing wrong with the 1100SP's fueling, it just required more concentration in those conditions. That is where RBW is so noticable.
Like I said ,I was in urban mode on a greasy road in Europe, so not exactly wheelie friendly conditions. I will have to wait to wring the thing out in March to get a stronger impression of the motor but I really liked what I sampled in Borgo Panigale. It was so smooth and had such a refined connection to the rear wheel. No chugging or shudder. No hesitation. The factory has spent a good deal of time on this aspect of the machine and it shows. The sound, of course, was delicious. I doubt there will be complaints about power or lack thereof. Power delivery will be a strong suit of this bike.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #186
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianp View Post
How is the rideability and fuelling of the motor at low speeds? The previous air-cooled engines were terrible anywhere near inner cities, totally put me off getting one.

How torquey is the 820? You say you notice the absence compared to the 1100 motor :(. It's dissapointing seeing the bias towards high revving engines (if I want that I'd buy a triple or inline-4) over engines with big torquey punch (of which there are so few on the market).
While stock the 1100 ridability may be lacking, something as simple as a race ECU and a Power Commander V makes that motor a joy even at lower speeds. I bought mine set up that way, and then rode a stock 1100 later. The difference was pretty clear.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #187
twowheelflyer
n00b

I agree. This lean running at small throttle openings is an emmisions issue. An aftermarket ecu is a great option for the 1100Due.
They have addressed this on the new 11 degree 1200DS motor in the new Multi with a second spark plug and air injection. I rode the new Multi back in September and the chugging and shudder from the 1st gen 11 degree are almost comletely erased. Of course that issue was easy enough to ride around on the old multi and didn't bother me. It is just now the air injection and better flame front from the second spark plug has allowed the bike to be tuned a bit richer at low throttle openings. Active suspension is nice but the new dual spark 11 is nicer!

The 1100Due is a torquey little devil. I would love to ride one in the dry.

The new Hyper motor gets along without that kind of intervention, which is nice.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #188
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote:
The new Hyper motor gets along without that kind of intervention, which is nice.
How do you know this?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #189
twowheelflyer
n00b

I was at the training seminar for the new bike. We are training to present the bike to U.S. dealers in March
Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #190
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote:
I was at the training seminar for the new bike. We are training to present the bike to U.S. dealers in March

go on.....

Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #191
twowheelflyer
n00b

I have to be careful because of press embargoes and such. I am the lead rider for our dealer intro in March.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #192
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote:
I have to be careful because of press embargoes and such. I am the lead rider for our dealer intro in March.
I understand but your our insider so do forget about us

Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #193
twowheelflyer
n00b

It looks like the bikes will start showing up at dealers around late april or early may. That's about it for insider info. The Ducatiusa web site is really good at presenting the bike(s). I will post my riding impressions here once we get rolling at the dealer acadamy in March.
Your dealer is a great source too. No harm in hanging out there and maybe copping a test ride on the new Multi, which is here now.
Cheers!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #194
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Have you seen it?

">

Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #195
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,594
I was in the Mancuso Dealership, in Houston, last week and they are very excited about the new Hypers. I love the new design and can't wait to see one in person.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote