User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
Ultimate Twisties Tour - Pavement and Dirt

I LOVE CURVES!!!! And I LOVE RIDING CURVES!!!

Well this ride report is not about riding those kinds of curves

Here's what I'm talking about:

And this:

Tomorrow I'm headed up to North Carolina to ride some of the best twisty roads in the country And I'll be doing it for a WEEK And I'm not the only one

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Riders

I've been riding this area for years and it's one of my favorite areas to ride. This time I'm bringing a few other suckers...err...riders along.

First, my long time riding buddy, Steve:

Bob (Dirtroadpassion) is also coming for the whole trip.

Don (SloDon) has a lot of street riding experience but is new to off road riding. Bob and I went riding with Don for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was an easy local ride with little or no mud......or thats what I told Don

I LIED

And he's still coming with us

And yours truly:

There are more riders coming but I don't have their Pics....Yet I'll try to get some pics of them in "interesting" poses

Note to others: You may want to post your own pic here. You never know what I will end up posting

Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Plan

The plan is simple. We will be riding out of Andrews, NC for three days, and Maggie Valley, NC for four days. We will be trying to ride the best the area has to offer, both paved and unpaved. For more details, see the trip planning thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564670

Old 06-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279

My Valkyrie off the Cherohala Skyway - Jim and his ST. I told him it would be easy. I may have been a tad economical with the truth :-)

Chief Joseph Scenic Highway

Wish I'd bought one years ago.

More about my riding history starting on page 6 of this thread.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=BRITMAN

Have Benly will travel

britman screwed with this post 06-12-2010 at 06:48 PM
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 1, June 13

I left my house in the Hotlanta burbs at a little before 9, driving my Avalanche with my XT350 and KLR650 loaded in the back. I rolled into Andrews around 11:00 and found 4 other KLR riders already waiting at the Andrews Town Motor Lodge. In addition to Bob, Don, and Paul (Britman), already introduced, there was Jim whose pic I'll post at some time. We offloaded the bikes and got on the road around noon. The plan for today was to do some exploring. Nothing challenging or muddy Don, Paul, and Jim are all very experienced street riders with almost no offroad experience. They all recently got their KLRs. We started off with a few miles of scenic, twisty pavement, then some gravel. We stopped so Bob could adjust his mirror which had vibrated loose. I think his KLR got infected from the Harley which it shares a garage with (Actually, KLRs probably vibrate more stuff loose than Harleys) It gave me a chance to take a group pic:

Then it was off to find the Fires Creek WMA. Between my map, Don's GPS, and blind luck we managed to find it. None of us had ever been there but we heard it was a bunch of easy gravel/dirt dead end roads with some scenic overlooks. Here's what the roads were like:

and this:

Did I mention that 3 of these guys had little off road experience, and none of them had tires resembling knobbies?

klaviator screwed with this post 07-03-2010 at 01:11 PM
Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

A local in a pickup who had lived in this area his whole life stopped and talked to us. He said that they used to be able to ride all over this area on their dirt bikes but in the last few years the Feds had really been cracking down. He also gave us directions to the spot with a good view of the area around Andrews. We followed his directions but eventually came to the dreaded "road closed to vehicles" sign"

Here's Don just before that point. The road was a lot rougher than the pic shows.

We stopped at the sign. Don's bike had managed to pick up some mud. One of the mud holes was a lot deeper than expected, at least the path he took through it was. It deposited a bunch of mud on his saddlebag. He named that mudhole the "mudhole of doom".

We hiked a little ways to find the overlook but turned around after a couple of hundred yards. We weren't exactly dressed for hiking.

The weather in the southeast had turned really hot. Forecast For Atlanta was 90+ and humid. It was pretty comfortable up here in the mountains because of the shade and elevation.

So we decided to explore the rest of the Fires Creek area. Did I mention that I loved curves? There were plenty here:

And a few pics taken by Bob:

Here's me and my camera hanging around my neck so I can get pics on the go.

Typical "road" in the Fires creek WMA.

Don and Jim.

Here Bob managed to capture my Glowing personality.

klaviator screwed with this post 07-03-2010 at 01:11 PM
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

One of the things I decided to try on this ride was taking pictures while riding. I didn't look at the screen, just point and shoot. I could only do this on smooth dirt or pavement. Here's a few:

A nice curve

Some pretty countyside

Leaning while taking the pic

After some nice pavement, another rocky uphill dirt section.

We ended up riding about 100 miles, about 90% of the time we were off the pavement. It was a good start to the trip.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-15-2010 at 08:40 PM
Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2, June 14

Got up early enough to catch the sunrise in Andrews. It looked like we would have a beautiful day.

Before getting into the ride, let me post a pic of Jim. He is one of the guys who has a lot of street riding experience, but is new to off roading. He had a blast on day one and his bike was properly baptized.

We started off by taking FS304 over the Snowbird mountains. Plenty of curves on FS304. Bob shows how to ride around those curves.

There were also some nice views.

More pretty scenery to ride through. I got this Pic of Bob while I was riding. I took a lot of pics like this but many did not turn out very well. It's a lot easier to do on the pavement but even many of them didn't come out that good.

Jim crossing a bridge.

Back on the pavement. This was a typical view as we were often riding along rivers and streams.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-16-2011 at 07:32 PM
Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We then went over the Cherohala Skyway, via the dirt route, then river road with the madatory stop at Bald River Falls to take some pictures.

Then some more riding.

I love riding along these rivers and streams.

Then we stopped just before Tellico Plains for lunch. Hot dogs or burgers with ice cream for desert eaten by the side of a river. It doesn't get much better than this.

Even this duck wanted to get some food.

And the scenery wasn't bad either

Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 872
nice repot, makes me wanna ditch work and head north.
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After lunch we went into Tellico Plains and stopped at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters. I pickep up some ADV stickers. Last fall I stopped here and got some stickers and took them home and put them in a safe place. I haven't seen them since This time I stuck them on the bikes before I lost them.

Although we didn't go to Deals Gap, we did go by the dragon.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #12
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was really hot so we got back on the road to get that cooling air and hopefully some cooler air at the higher elevations. It was so hot that there was melted tar on the first back road we got on. It made the road feel really weird and I stopped to see if I had a flat tire. When I stopped to take the next pic, I left bootprints in the road

Here's "downtown" Rafter, NC.

A nice twisty back road.

We stopped for a break at this stream.

Next stop was to allow Steve to drink from the magical NC mountain "fountain of youth"

After that we rode a great twisty dirt road up to Farr Gap. I was having too much fun to get any pics

We did eventually stop and I was able to work on my skills as an action photographer.

This kid knew how to beat the heat.

I think we were all tempted to join him but weren't dressed for the occasion.

So we got back on our bikes and headed toward the Cherohala Skyway alonng this scenic gravel road.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-17-2010 at 02:02 PM
Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 AM   #13
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
It was really hot so we got back on the road to get that cooling air and hopefully some cooler air at the higher elevations. It was so hot that there was melted tar on the first back road we got on. It made the road feel really weird and I stopped to se if I had a flat tire. When I stopped to take the next pick, I left bootprints in the road
The black goop they had schmeared on the road did not agree with my Shinko 705's. I could see the tire tracks from the more aggresive knobbies you guys were running.

britman screwed with this post 06-18-2010 at 04:07 PM
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator

Here's "downtown" Rafter, NC.

Hey, that's downtown Rafter, TN! You guys rode past my drive way to get there.

minimike
Old 06-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike
Hey, that's downtown Rafter, TN! You guys rode past my drive way to get there.

minimike
You're right, it is in TN. I knew that, I just wasn't thinking when I typed it in. You sure have a rough commute to work every day