User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
trekbiker OP
trekbiker

Oddometer: 4
In need of professional help

Hello All, I sold my street bikes which included s Suzuki M50, 1984 Honda VF 1100 Sabre and a venerable Honda ST1100 so I can get a dual sport. My goal is to ride the TAT both directions in one trip. This is why my wife thinks I need professional help. There are so many dual sports out there to pick from. The list is narrowed because I want something bigger than a 500 and smaller than a 1000. Still there are many machines within this range. I enjoy simplicity over gee whiz tech. Three bikes remain in the fore front of my brain. Yes there are good reasons for avoiding the high end machines. Two daughters in college.
  • DR650 (air cooled. doesn't get much simpler than that. Light too.)
  • KLR 650 (proven. dare I say more?)
  • Triumph Scramber (don't laugh. It looks so damn good. McQueen would ride it. Need I say more?)
I've read everything written on these bikes and along with nearly every post on the Scrambler which there are many. So here is where I need your help. What can you tell me about what suits my needs that I don't? What bikes are out there that I may over looked or written off due my ignorance? While you compile your thoughts I will go and sit in my empty garage and sadly sip on a beer. Oh yeah! Where can I get a AV sticker or two?
trekbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
choices.......

How good a dirt bike rider are you?

Do you have a budget?

Motel or tent?

Can you fix it yourself or do you need dealer support along the way?

Are you strong enough to pick up a 600# package?

Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 366
I would go with a new 250 (klx, wr,) they are super sweet these days and lite and will do highway speed if need be. the whole reason for DS is to get off the highway anyway so why have the weight of a street bike?
get your stickers here; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257578
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012

Tompound screwed with this post 06-13-2010 at 07:56 AM
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
trekbiker OP
trekbiker

Oddometer: 4
I have been riding off and on for 40 years. Five of those years were spent in the Mojave Desert on a Yamaha XT500. After letting my ST1100 filled with gear and gas fall in a parking lot I learned that I could pick it up without assistance. Adrenaline charged embarrassment helped. I am on a budget because I am paying to two college educations for my daughters. Camping is preferable to motels but showers are so nice after a long dusty or cold ride.

I never considered a 250 class motorcycle but youre (Tompound) spot on. It is about getting off the road. Even with a large bore single that is capable of highway riding I would try to stay to the slower two lane byways anyway. One gets to see the real America that way. Its not about speed its about taking the road less traveled.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
The most memorable and beautiful sections of a trip like this will not be the long, straightish unpaved ones. So you don't build your trip around them.

You should want to enjoy the toppings, foam, and cream most of all. You can't do than on a street bike. A Scrambler is a street bike. The new KLR's aren't reliable.

The less skilled in the dirt you are signals lighter bike. More skilled, then go heavier.

Your entertaining a Scrambler leads me to believe you have little dirt experience, and have little idea of what you will actually encounter.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
gsuser
Amateur Explorer

Oddometer: 298
dual sport

Go with the DR650, goes down the road great, lots of farkles available, simple to work on (air cooled), and reliable. Same for the KLR but I prefer the air cooled rather than have a radiator to fall on.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 366
you also have consider the cost to run and maintain the machine, Insurance for one, the bigger the motor usually adds up to more $$ to run it down the road, (legally)
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012

Tompound screwed with this post 06-14-2010 at 01:28 PM
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote