Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
mrpete64 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Started to go to SA...but didn't make it?

I would be interested in hearing from people who started to go to South America and for what ever reason(s) had to "cash it in."
Most of the treads, in the ride reports, have people making their entire trip.
I am interested in those who did NOT....and why.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Why?

We stopped in Ecuador.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
waynem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
It was 1973 and I was 23 and had my first bike,

a 73 R75/5 short frame, the comet Kouhetec was coming and it was supposed to be as big as the moon and cover a third of the sky, I left San Francisco thinking I would go to Machu Pichu and watch the comet but was in no hurry. I went to Big Sur and stayed at with Rick and Annie Baker at the Kodak estate for a few days, slept down stairs in the same room as Sabina (it was purely innocent, much to my chagrin) left there and rode to the Luke ville/Sonoyte crossing and just entered Mexico, no paperwork, no TVIP..and headed south down thru Guaymas and on to Las Mochis, Culiacan, Tepic and over to Guadalajara, into Mexico city and the Oaxca and spent a few days there and then to the coast to acapulco and headed south on the coast and came to the Rio Verde and there was no bridge but the indigenous people were ferrying folk across on pontoon boats, I talked them into letting me put the bike on them and crossed with a great deal of trepidation and when we got to the other side gat three more guys to help me grt the bike up the mud bank, continued on to Puerto Escondido, ran into a pig that knocked me down as I was entering town and decided to stay, the beach allowed camping and I parked the bike between two palm trees and spent 7 weeks there, surfing, swimming, going up to the mountains when it rained and picking hongos" and going back to Puerto and surfing and eating mushrooms. I finaly left and headed south decided to go to San Christobal to cross into guatemala and then rode to Panachel on Lake Atitlan, stayed there for a couple weeks and the comet started showing but was very very very tiny so I left Panachel and headed to Guatamala city and on the way I had a rear tire blowout at about 60mp, the bike flipped and I slid on my head/helmet for I think about a mile....anyway, I shaved the helmet into the liner and when I tumbled I ripped my shoulder open and fkd a few more places up and as I slid and tumbled I was watching the bike also tumble and role and shed parts and gear. When I got up I was in shock and just wanted to lay down and go to sleep but forced myself to keep walking around and about an hour later a couple from Canada who I had met in Attitlan came by in their motorhome. It turned out she was a nurse and did her best to clean me up and said they were going to stay at the pension Mesa in Guatamla city and if I got there to come see them, an hour later a Guatemalan farmer came by in a truck and we agreed that for 100 Quetzals that he would take me into Guatemala City to the BMW car dealer and we did that, when I got to the dealers they said they would try to fix my bike and then had a worker take me the Pension Mesa, the Canadian couple were there and she went to the pharmacia and got suttures and penicilin and cleaned me up,sewed me up, shot me up and told me how to take care of myself. I spent a month in this pension and payed one Quetzal a day for a communal room and two meals, this was a place that Guatemalan salespeople from the countryside stayed and we ate dog, horsebrain stew and who knows what else, at the time a quetzal was equal to one dollar. after a month the bike was fixed and I headed north but when I got to the Mexican border I was told I had to have 100 dollars to enter into Mexico and I had 50 left, and believe it or not at the border there were three women from Iowa crossing into Guatemala on BMW's and I told them my story, they lent me 50 dollars and I crossed into Mexico and one of them had stayed in Mexico so to get the money back, I gave her the money and headed to the US with 50 dollars to my name and got San Diego New Years eve 1974...thats it, I didn't make it
waynem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,303
Good story but I see you are still under the effects of the mushrooms
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
waynem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I canonly hope

why...because I couldn't remember to proof-read it????
waynem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
GoldSand
Border Crosser

Oddometer: 2
...because the entire story is written in about 3 sentences!
GoldSand is offline   Reply With Quote