User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
Seriously -Kids and Trials vs MX

Didn't want to hijack the other similar thread. So, here's my situation: The Boy rides a Honda 50. He rides it like a pro. He wants to race. He's more than ready to race. The fiddy is getting a bit small for him. I need to get him a new bike. He's 7 and he's not going to have two bikes. He also wants a trials bike (I may have a line on a .5 Sherco locally). So, its gonna be a CRF70 or a .5 Sherco in The Boy's future. As much as I want him to give trials a try, I really don't think he'll like it as much as another MX bike (being able to hit the trail, race, go fast, etc.). Suppose I could let him try trials and if its not his bag, then I could sell the Sherco (not like I'd get hurt on the Sherco as they are far and few between). On the other hand, The Boy is a hard-hitter so not sure the more refined and civilized world of trials is for him at this time. I dunno. Wish my parents would have found themselves in such a quandary when I was a wee nugget (I had to secretly ride my friends' dirtbikes for years because my parents forbid motorcycles). Guess I could have whittled this down to one sentence: Do one thing and do it well, or Jack of all trades?
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,810
Trials training crosses over to all other forms of motorcycling. It teaches you the finer points of throttle, brake, and clutch control. It rarely translates well the other way.

Heck, back when Kenny Roberts used to train his GP racers, they would not get on a YZR500R first thing out. He would get them trained on XR100R flattrackers and trials bikes first to fine tune the aforementioned skills.

I'm just saying......
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,677
Pretty much like you said.
If you pick up the Sherco you will have no trouble turning it around if it is not for him, you would also pretty much break even as long as he doesn't break much while he rides it......

If you ask him after explaining he can only get one, what does he say?
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud
If you ask him after explaining he can only get one, what does he say?
He can't decide. Its like chocolate vs. vanilla. He hasn't tried a trials bike yet, so I may ask some parent at an event if he might give his/her kid's bike a whirl. That might settle it real fast.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
...he's not going to have two bikes. ...
who are you trying to kid??
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok
who are you trying to kid??
That would be the easy route, but a 7-yr-old with two bikes is a bit excessive. Of course, "The Girl" has a bike AND a horse...

No, Daddy needs a cargo trailer. The Boy is limited to one bike.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Crap, this is harder for me than him. Yea, maybe two bikes and if trials isn't a good fit, at least we tried. Just because I'm a proud papa, here he is last year on a little track with me in tow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufSxEJI13VM
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Crap, this is harder for me than him.
LOL so true.

I think you will have to decide were the priorities are, bonding is better when you both participate, being Trials or dirt bike trails or MX. What is neat about trials though, realistically, your life isnt in danger when you are competing. nor is his, for a long time at least. (I submit if he makes pro, you can get hurt more likely, lol)... (no dont email me, relatively the MX vs Trials, there are no comparisons).

In many many years of trials, I have gotten hurt in a trials, once, I didnt miss work or nothing, but it hurt bad enough for several weeks I didnt ride... Nice goose egg on my shin, in a freakish accident where stepping off the bike in a wet/slippery trails, I managed to get my handlebar caught in my boots... (you had to be there...)

For the record, I have been hurt doing NON trials things, on my trials bike... Comparatively, if you make a mistake at 50mph it hurts bad, when you make a mistake in a real trials, it hurts as bad as it does when you make a mistake "loading" your MX bike into the back of the pickup, usually, because there is seldom speed involved, sometimes a hill or 2, a tree or a rock, but that is about it!

Lastly, I want to add that I have had worse spills:
1. walking sections than riding them as well, in the harder classes like at the nationals LOL.
2. goofing around the house (fell off a desk once).

So, you have some things to think about.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Take the lad with you to a trials event, let him see all the competitive kids having a ball, then let him decide.
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz
Take the lad with you to a trials event, let him see all the competitive kids having a ball, then let him decide.
Been there, done that...twice. That's what started this quandary.

Here's the decision I've come to. I have a pair of whitewater kayaks that I was going to sell to help fund my trials bike. Well, bought my bike, but haven't sold the boats yet. So, I'll use the boats to help fund the trials bike for The Boy. I'll use his 50 to help fund the 70. I might have to sell a kidney to fund the remainder, but it settles the issue. He doesn't deserve it as he is an evil unrepentant child, but saves me from a difficult decision.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
On the other hand, The Boy is a hard-hitter so not sure the more refined and civilized world of trials is for him at this time.
If the boy's a hard hitter, I would think he would make a great trials rider. Not sure about the refined and civilized part. Seems to me the sections get scarrier and more difficult every year.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,013
All I can say is that racing MX gets really expensive really fast and pretty much consumes your life.

I'm crossing my fingers that my kids don't get bitten by the racing bug and I never have to tell them that we can't afford it.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Here's the decision I've come to. I have a pair of whitewater kayaks that I was going to sell to help fund my trials bike. Well, bought my bike, but haven't sold the boats yet. So, I'll use the boats to help fund the trials bike for The Boy. I'll use his 50 to help fund the 70. I might have to sell a kidney to fund the remainder, but it settles the issue. He doesn't deserve it as he is an evil unrepentant child, but saves me from a difficult decision.
You do realise that I now need to put a Parental Lock on the Trials Forum!!! As soon as our son is old enough to read and use the search function he will use this post against me!!! I guess I'll have to tell my wife the precedence was set by deminimis... our old buddy... family trials dude....

So, I guess my next step is to put our two ocean kayaks on CL and put the $$$ into a CD for the day he asks the question.

Congratulations Deminimis Jr. ! Your dad ROCKS!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

At least he already has his trials helmet:
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote: