Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
One of the cool things about trials is riders of different abilities can go play together and have fun. Most big obstacles have smaller obstacles near them.

Fast trail riding isn't as fun with riders of different abilities because someone always has to stop and wait or ride slower than they want for them to stay together.

MX is good for families because the kids usually don't get too far out of sight. But, unfortunately, it can be rough on the body which makes it rough on those of us that don't bounce to good any more. I see a lot of families at the MX track. But, usually the dad is in the pits while jr is on the track.

Unfortunately, most young-uns are more turned on by the speed and danger of MX more than the technique and precision of trials.

As the dad, I'd strongly encourage trials. But, until recently, I would've always chosen the thrills of the speed events.
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
Leanin, I think you hit every point spot-on. The Girl and I lost The Boy and the Mom on a trail last weekend (we got too far out in front of them). Yea, I'm still paying for that one.
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
All I can say is that racing MX gets really expensive really fast and pretty much consumes your life.

I'm crossing my fingers that my kids don't get bitten by the racing bug and I never have to tell them that we can't afford it.
i hear that. ten years ago i was spending $200 a month just on track fees for a boy who just wanted to race for second to last place.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #19
bashed
ride?

Oddometer: 34
I guess there not really intended to be ridden as a fast paced trail bike but mine is quickly taking the xcw's place in the van when i'm headin to my fav riding spots! So far it seems to be holding up just fine and I seem to be overall quicker plus nothing stands in her way! Your son could be one of the few at the local harescramble on a trials.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Another factor

I grew up riding trials while many friends were riding MX or roadracing. They were usually broke, hurt or both! Riding trials, you can generally count on making it to work or school on Monday...good for both parents and kids! Definitely easier on the bank account too.

Unfortuantely trials suffers in this era of the two minute attention span as it is hard! It takes time to get good at it and unlike racing, a newbie can't even ride where the experts go... and is constantly reminded of one's mediocrity! It takes time and practice.
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

It will be interesting to see how The Boy takes to trials. He loves speed and jumps (the kind of jumps a 7 yr/old can do). However, its wheelies that really gets him excited. With that, trials has a fighting chance.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #22
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,689
Don't make him only ride sections and practice the basics, toss in a little jumping off stuff and some faster little trails. Hopefully he won't get bored. Just because the bike says trials on it doesn't mean you can't have well rounded riding on it.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr
Don't make him only ride sections and practice the basics, toss in a little jumping off stuff and some faster little trails. Hopefully he won't get bored. Just because the bike says trials on it doesn't mean you can't have well rounded riding on it.
I second this comment.One of the most fun days I ever had was riding my Trials bike in the snow with a group of sport quad riders. The conditions were perfect for me as there was no ice so I had pretty good traction.
Let's just say I wasn't too bored waiting for them........
the only downside for your son is that he cannot set down. There are aftermarket mini seats you could get or just make one.so now he could do both.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #24
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
I grew up riding trials while many friends were riding MX or roadracing. They were usually broke, hurt or both! Riding trials, you can generally count on making it to work or school on Monday.
Yep. I will second that! 35 years of trials riding and no ambulance rides so far...knock on wood!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,290
I would say the trials bike would allow him to get a taste of it at the least. Hopefully he will learn some good skills and get some experience from it too. Those will transfer if he later decides trials is not for him and at least he will have tried it and gotten something good out of it that will help him in trail riding later whatever bike he rides. If you give him challenging sections then that can be a lot of fun and again it can be very useful for non-MX type rides and competition like enduros and scrambles. I haven't ridden MX, but I would imagine balance and so on would be helpful there too.

Then if he decides to go back to non-trials riding he can and he at least gave it a shot.

Also, if you have a little bit of room around your home, you may be able to setup a small trials course or sections that he can practice on in a smaller space than needed for MX riding - IMO.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #26
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Well, was offered one of those friend deals you can't refuse on a barely used 70. Now, if only I could sell the 50 and the kayaks, I could go and pick up the trials bike.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #27
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
Also, if you have a little bit of room around your home, you may be able to setup a small trials course or sections that he can practice on in a smaller space than needed for MX riding - IMO.
Never enough room, but I built the Nuggets a mini mx track this Spring (w/ 17 whoops, a table top, a small stadium jump and one gap jump (that I'm going to turn into a safer table top)).

I've been looking to get some giant rocks delivered for "lawn ornamentation".
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #28
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Install a mini-flattrack next to it, and I'll be there quick with my XR100R flattracker. I'll also bring the Montesa once the "lawn ornament" rocks get there!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #29
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Well I would def get the trials bike still. I grew up on the trials bike and it has made me the great rider I am today. You can trail ride that crap out of them too. Some of the best single track trails are on trials bikes.

Also MX everybody does and there is not much hope of becoming a top rider. Trials compition is less people so you ride and learn off your compition rather then hate them.

You can jump them and then when he gets really good he can impress all his friends with some vertical rock climbs or splatters that no big triple jump can touch.

And if you get both then let him ride them both. Keep the trials bike in the back for a couple of years if he is into racing MX, then just go play on it every now and then. It helps hone your abilitys so much.

I wish I had kept with trials more growing up but with moving around it was hard. Considering I used to beable to beat one of the current us champs running the circuit now. Always wonder where I might be. Yet we were only 8.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #30
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
Well, I've had too many beers this evening to give a lengthly responce...However, I'm in the same spot as you.

The short answer is, Trials riding is going to wait (I'm a beginner at it (and have a 315 Montesa) till he is 7 or 8. My wife will join in with the Trials riding as well, family time...

I've been concentrating on the MX Track and BMX for right now, they go together VERY well. Instead of buying a bigger bike for my son I built up the one I had (CRF 50). We have one of the best BMX track's in the USA about 20 minutes from my house, and several MX tracks near by.

A few pic's...

PM me if I can help in anyway... Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote