Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #31
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
Ah, Garthe, I don't think that footwear in the 2nd shot is sanctioning body approved. Nice fiddy!

Thanks buddy. I too thought about beefing up the 50, but no mods to cc allowed and he can ride up to a 70cc 4 stroke in his class, so grabbed the sweet deal on the 70. The 70 we nabbed is a '05, but it still had the little nubbins on the orig tires (one ride, sold, one ride, sold). Its great when kids don't take to motorcycling (so long as not my kids)!

The Sherco is another story. Previously loved at it should have been. Hope he fits a .5 as we're getting it as soon as the XR 50 is down the trail.

Now, if only "The Boy"'s dad could have a little success in bleeding his (Dad's) damn clutch MC on his Beta so he could ride tonight! The Kids' have been having all the fun this past week and its Dad's turn damnit.
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #32
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Now, if only "The Boy"'s dad could have a little success in bleeding his (Dad's) damn clutch MC on his Beta so he could ride tonight! The Kids' have been having all the fun this past week and its Dad's turn damnit.
Surely you can do it like we can on Gasgasers: Go get one of those big syringe's that you can get for bleeding brakes, open the bleeding nipple at the bottom slave area, (after you take top off mastercylinder)... fill syringe, do like doctors do and get the air out, push tight fitting {clear} line or hose over the nipple, Push the fluid from the bottom nipple up to the master's reservoir. at least I find that easier and you can push bubbles up easier than down.

If it wont go up, you have a problem with the adjusting screw at the lever/master cylinder!
that adjuster has to leave a tiny bit of play, so that the Master Cylinder's Plunger or push-rod can return Fully to extended or unpushed position, this lets the reservoir dribble fluid in to the plunger on the cable side. As soon as the plunger starts to push in, this hole gets covered up and no pressure will bypass... It may also be why you thought the clutch needs bleeding, because as the bike is hot the lever must allow the plunger to come fully out (at rest) to let fluid in or out.

YMMV.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #33
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,859
Step 1) Get a syringe, preferrably a large one from a veterinary supply store.

Step 2) Slip a piece of clear plastic tubing over the end of the syringe (without the needle on! ) and make sure it fits good and snug.

Step 3) Fill syringe with brake fluid (or whatever the clutch MC on your bike requires), slip the other end of the plastic tubing over the bleeder nipple on the clutch slave cylinder, making sure it fits snug.

Step 4) With very little fluid in the clutch master cylinder, open the bleeder nipple and "back bleed" the system by depressing the plunger on the syringe, therefore forcing fluid through the whole system. Keep the syringe upright as to not force air into the system. When the clutch master cylinder is full, tighten the bleeder, remove the syringe tube, and enjoy a fully bled, well working clutch!

....And I see that Sting was online at the same time, and types faster!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #34
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Thanks Sting. Nah, it needs bleeding because I rebuilt it and I didn't bench bleed it afterwards. Cutting corners never gets you anywhere. Will remedy tonight though.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #35
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Brew, you type faster than me. Thanks to you too.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #36
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Brew, you type faster than me. Thanks to you too.
Its like a slow news day, we're all "on top of it" at the same time...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #37
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
Quote:
Ah, Garthe, I don't think that footwear in the 2nd shot is sanctioning body approved. Nice fiddy!
He was sitting on the bike with NO shoes and I told him that was against the rules.

The racing that we're doing, there are no 'rules' about mod's. I'm leaving the motor stock for right now. My hope is that in a year or two he will be able to jump to a Kaw 65.

I know what you mean about Daddy riding time. I've been to the track every weekend for the last month...havn't ridden once. It's hot here now so, we have to get their early and ride. Don't have time for both of use to ride. But, I can't complain, it's SOOOOOOOOOO much fun watching him ride.

Good luck to you. Jim
Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #38
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32
Its like a slow news day, we're all "on top of it" at the same time...

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #39
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Why not do both (yeah you said only one bike, seems a silly restriction )? Or maybe bicycle trials and MX? Also, its not like he's gotta decide for life now, he could run trials for a year or two then switch to MX if he gets bored or vice versa.

I did MX as a kid (I was a little older as I had to buy my own bike - worked my little butt off mowing neighbors lawns and bought a YZ80 when I was 11) and absolutely loved it. We also did a lot of trail riding and family dirt bike campouts. Huge fun, great family activity, I really enjoyed it. I'm 27 now, the whole family still rides in the dirt

Have a look into the local venues and organizations as well. You might find a really vibrant scene in one sport and a dead one in another. I know when I was growing up in the DC area the trials scene (or what I knew of it) was basically a half dozen old guys puttering around out in Frederick MD while the MX scene was huge with thousands at Budd's Creek on race weekends.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #40
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Finally got that damn clutch bled. As best as I could tell, the two copper washers at the banjo were part of the problem. A little emery cloth and flat surface fixed that.

BP, both? Hell I wish that was the only option. This Summer he discovered golf and tennis too (he has been at tennis camp this week). I'm going to have to find a nanny to run him around all the time for his different little activities. BP, its buried in here somewhere, but he's getting a trials bike too (once his 50 sells).

Like the movie Platoon, there are polar forces pulling at the soul of this child. In his case, his grandma, who disapproves of him on motorcycles and expresses this openly (often), is the force behind the tennis camp (and his grandpa was one of the golf instructors for the kids golf thing locally). The grandparents already have two Nancy-boy grand children on the other side ("oooh, our kids can't play football because they might get hurt"), so they need to be content with that. Tennis...geeszch. Golf is cool (cool as in cooler of beer in the golf cart), but tennis?

Kid gets back from "fruit camp" today, so we'll be riding tonight. Gots to get his mind right.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 06-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #41
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #42
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,975
Quote:
Kid gets back from "fruit camp" today, so we'll be riding tonight. Gots to get his mind right.

Aaaa Yep!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #43
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
Why not a Oset trials bike????

My son had the small one. I used it to teach control and operation skills. Then moved him over to the 50. He told me he wanted to ride a 'real' motorcycle.

The BMX thing has really paid off for us.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #44
deminimis OP
I Eat Glue

Oset was something I considered, but I've got a good line of a .5 for about the cost of a used Oset, so Sherco it shall be.

So, back to the battle:

I arrived home last night to find The Boy standing there, the sun glistening through his pink hair. PINK HAIR!?!?! My mind flashed -I thought all was lost. I got out of my car and noticed the 70 was not in the garage, but he had already pulled it out to ride. Phew. I didn't loose him to sinister forces. In fact, he was chomping at the bit to ride the moment I got home. The whole pink hair thing was due to his older sister thinking it would be fun to spray some Halloween hair color stuff in his hair. All's okay.
YZ85 for The Boy
Old 07-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #45
KLXplode
Desert Hunter

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Oset was something I considered, but I've got a good line of a .5 for about the cost of a used Oset, so Sherco it shall be.

So, back to the battle:

I arrived home last night to find The Boy standing there, the sun glistening through his pink hair. PINK HAIR!?!?! My mind flashed -I thought all was lost. I got out of my car and noticed the 70 was not in the garage, but he had already pulled it out to ride. Phew. I didn't loose him to sinister forces. In fact, he was chomping at the bit to ride the moment I got home. The whole pink hair thing was due to his older sister thinking it would be fun to spray some Halloween hair color stuff in his hair. All's okay.

The Collection:
-1985 Bronco II: Top chopped off. Off road lights/bumper. 2 12" subs. 5 Speed manual

-1993 Kawasaki KLX650R(Green Goblin). Trying to plate

"Trials is an amazing sport. You can get hurt really really bad without even leaving the campsite!

"Its not how fast your going, its about how fast your fast comes to a stop"
KLXplode is offline   Reply With Quote