User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Doktor_E OP
Off-trail Hiker

Oddometer: 3
Fuel Range Needed in Black Hills??

I'm planning a week of riding in July in the Black Hills--our party will be one DR, one 650GS, one KLR. I have the stock tank (3.4 gal) on the DR and I'm wondering whether I need to buy an IMS (4.9) tank and/or figure out how to carry some extra fuel. I already notified the KLR rider I'd be siphoning out of his tank.

We plan to ride mostly forest service roads and easier trails, and I think we'll be primitive camping most or all of the time. We're all riding in from different locales on the bikes, no other vehicles.

I've found some good routes to ride on ADVRider threads, so maybe when I start comparing the trip reports to the USFS maps I'll get a better idea of where the closest towns are.

In the meantime, does anyone who's been there have advice on availability of gas, or how much range is necessary to not be worrying about fuel? I appreciate any feedback.
Doktor_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,492
I would not get a larger tank. If you are going deep into the western hills region you may want to make sure you top off before setting out. All of the sizable towns have fuel. Rochford does not.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,388
get a good forestry serv map of that area, there is some good stuff out there, one day while i was in Rochford at the little one and only place there eating a burger and drinking a beer, 2 guys rode up from the gravel part on KLR'S, one guy said he worked for the forestry serv and they had rode from Rapid city to Rochford on forestry roads and trails.

He claimed you could go all over the place out there via dirt roads and fire roads and trails etc. if you knew the area well enough.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Doktor_E OP
Off-trail Hiker

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the advice guys. From a couple of trip reports I read, it seems like lots of good riding is around Rochford and Nemo areas. I also noticed that Trails Illustrated claims their maps are more up to date than FS maps, though my experience is that is not always true in Colorado.

Eric
09 DR650SE, embarrassingly stockish (14T counter sprocket and rear rack)
Doktor_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,492
The Centennial Trail is particularly enjoyable. You can start on the west side at the Sugar Shack. Have fun!