Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
blender OP
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail (AKA "CDT") Conditions??

I'm planning to ride the GDMBT (AKA the Continental Divide Trail) in mid-July thru the Montana, Wyoming and Colorado sections. I'll be on a F8GS, riding solo and do not consider myself a gnarley off-road guy. I do have sense (usually) to bail when out of my skill level. Outside of fire roads in Wisconsin I have been up the Haul Road in AK and have done a few of the milder pass roads in Colorado (e.g. Cumberland Pass). Uhmmm, but not Schofield Pass tho... ;)

For those who've through those sections, either this year or past years, are there areas where you'd advise someone to bypass the area via pavement? I'm mostly thinking about dirt sections that could turn into gumbo after a rain but if there are other sections let me know.....
Old 06-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
jdbski
old but getting younger

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
I'm planning to ride the GDMBT (AKA the Continental Divide Trail) in mid-July thru the Montana, Wyoming and Colorado sections. I'll be on a F8GS, riding solo and do not consider myself a gnarley off-road guy. I do have sense (usually) to bail when out of my skill level. Outside of fire roads in Wisconsin I have been up the Haul Road in AK and have done a few of the milder pass roads in Colorado (e.g. Cumberland Pass). Uhmmm, but not Schofield Pass tho... ;)

For those who've through those sections, either this year or past years, are there areas where you'd advise someone to bypass the area via pavement? I'm mostly thinking about dirt sections that could turn into gumbo after a rain but if there are other sections let me know.....
Did that part three years ago and it was fantastic. Don't think you will have any problems unless it rains.
Good luck!
jdbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
blender OP
Just another rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbski
Did that part three years ago and it was fantastic. Don't think you will have any problems unless it rains.
Good luck!
Thanks! I've been going thru the various ride reports and am looking forward to this.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
If you have reviewed big dogs cdr report then you should remember issues at Lava Mountain road/trail has tons of rocks etc, then the area around Pinedale WY to stay on the road versus the sand road, plus the water crossing south of Steamboat Springs. Hope this helps you and maybe I see you since I hope to be going northbound also in mid July, I'll be on a 08' GS, silver.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508875

The below site shows each stage of the ride and what to expect:

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/CDStage1.htm

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
blender OP
Just another rider

Arrrggg, forgot about Big Dog's RR. I even have it bookmarked in a CDT folder... Thanks for the reminder!