ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
lenkacx OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 4
lack of power espeially in lower rpm Suzuki V-strom Calgary

Hi, I need to let check my Suzuki V-strom 1000 from 2012 in Calgary or close to, it has lack of power especially in lower rpm. Bike is after long trip to Ushuaya (52000 km) with poor gas and poor maintenance. Does somebody any suggestions for good workshop or just handy guy? Thanks a lot
lenkacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
damurph
Cold Adventurer
 
damurph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The far east of the far east of North America
Oddometer: 1,835
Can't help with shop suggestion but a new fuel filter sounds like a cheap place to start. Valve clearance would be in order after 52000. Did this problem start suddenly or gradually worsen over the distance?
__________________
R1150 GSA, KLR650, K75s, RD350, PS250 (Big Ruckus), R65, 990 Spyder
If I still had every dollar I spent on motorbikes I would be a richer man but a poorer person.
damurph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
lenkacx OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 4
I would like to say it started suddenly from beginning
lenkacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
where2next?
Map guy
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 218
Leakdown test. I have the tool but no air compressor. And its a process. Any other description? Missing? Stumbling? Smoke? Any mechanic is going to go through a basic battery of tests and do all the maintenance items like filters, spark plugs, valve check etc. I can recommend cycle city, and gw cycle in Calgary and motoradd down south in turner valley. You should get it looked at by a pro unless you want to do the work yourself.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #5
Lycan1
Grizzly herder
 
Lycan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 885
Simple, Service Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkacx View Post
Hi, I need to let check my Suzuki V-strom 1000 from 2012 in Calgary or close to, it has lack of power especially in lower rpm. Bike is after long trip to Ushuaya (52000 km) with poor gas and poor maintenance. Does somebody any suggestions for good workshop or just handy guy? Thanks a lot
"poor gas and poor maintenance"

Like damurph said fuel filter change, and I would do a complete service at the same time. Valves, new plugs, air filter and oil change(with filter). Before you do any of that drain any old fuel and flush the tank with a bit of fresh fuel to get rid of any water and debris. Bad fuel is hard on plugs and injectors, among other things.

Most of that is simple enough, but if you are not comfortable doing it yourself then best book it in to a shop right away. This time of year they will all be really busy. Any shop in town will be able to do it, but expect to pay. Thankfully the V-Strom isn't hard to work on.
__________________
I've learned so much from my mistakes. I'm thinking of making a few more.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Millwright98
Adventurer
 
Millwright98's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Eastern Shore, Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 31
My guess is the HP fuel filter is stogged with crap. unfortunately this is an internal component of the fuel pump assembly and the entire unit requires replacing....however.... there is an HP filter bypass modification that can be done easily to these bikes, it is clearly outlined in a thread on the Stromtroopers web site.....

First thing to check is a fuel flow test - pump needs to put out approx. 1200ml in 30 sec, also fuel pressure needs to be approx 43 psi.

Also make sure your TPS (throttle position) sensor is still good... easily checked by flipping into dealer mode and see what it reads.

Make sure your idle is set to 1200 rpm!! lower than that creates issues also...rev this bike...it doesn't like to spend any time below 4000 rpm.!!

good luck....I seriously suggest spending the $$ on a factory service manual... all of the things you need to check are easily outlined in it...worth every penny !!
Millwright98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #7
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer
 
C-Stain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canoodia, eh?
Oddometer: 6,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwright98 View Post
My guess is the HP fuel filter is stogged with crap. unfortunately this is an internal component of the fuel pump assembly and the entire unit requires replacing....however.... there is an HP filter bypass modification that can be done easily to these bikes, it is clearly outlined in a thread on the Stromtroopers web site.....

First thing to check is a fuel flow test - pump needs to put out approx. 1200ml in 30 sec, also fuel pressure needs to be approx 43 psi.

Also make sure your TPS (throttle position) sensor is still good... easily checked by flipping into dealer mode and see what it reads.

Make sure your idle is set to 1200 rpm!! lower than that creates issues also...rev this bike...it doesn't like to spend any time below 4000 rpm.!!

good luck....I seriously suggest spending the $$ on a factory service manual... all of the things you need to check are easily outlined in it...worth every penny !!


And I believe there was an ECU Recall for the 2012 V-Stroms as well. The big Stroms were prone to a "stumble" around 3600rpm that would appear to be a fuel or lean issue. My 07 was fixed with a flash from a Yosh Box - but I seem to remember reading that there was a recall...

I'd also check the vacuum lines, the airbox boots etc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
C-Stain is wise.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post


And I believe there was an ECU Recall for the 2012 V-Stroms as well. The big Stroms were prone to a "stumble" around 3600rpm that would appear to be a fuel or lean issue. My 07 was fixed with a flash from a Yosh Box - but I seem to remember reading that there was a recall...

I'd also check the vacuum lines, the airbox boots etc.
Take it to GW Cycle in Calgary and have them work their magic. With that much mileage, the valves will need adjustment as well as changing out all the filters and other stuff. You could be chasing gremlins for days. They have the experience...

Regards
Scott Fraser
__________________
one 125 Vino
two 650 Burgman Execs
Vulcan 900 Classic LT, V-Star 1100 Silverado
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
lenkacx OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 4
thank you very much for all suggestions
today we did all we could - changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, sparkplugs, battery and all is still the same, what is weird is probably the sound, it sounds like a chainsaw, maybe like a one cylinder engine sound

lenkacx screwed with this post 03-21-2015 at 06:23 PM
lenkacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
damurph
Cold Adventurer
 
damurph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The far east of the far east of North America
Oddometer: 1,835
Use a stethoscope or a long screwdriver with the handle pressed to your ear to try and isolate the noise.
Upper or lower end of the motor? Front cylinder or rear? Cam chain? Starter?

Any metal shards In the oil or on the drain plug? Cut the old filter open and inspect. A magnet can help.

A video of the engine running to hear the noise might help.
__________________
R1150 GSA, KLR650, K75s, RD350, PS250 (Big Ruckus), R65, 990 Spyder
If I still had every dollar I spent on motorbikes I would be a richer man but a poorer person.

damurph screwed with this post 03-21-2015 at 06:02 PM
damurph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
where2next?
Map guy
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 218
Are both exhaust pipes getting warm when you run it?
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015