User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Who here has a bike stashed in the US? Fly-Ride-Repeat

This winter being so cold I have some time to ponder on solutions to get a ride fix once in a while. It seems to me that the cheapest flights to go out west are Las Vegas. Can find round trip tickets for about 340$ most days. Storage lockers cant be super expesive can they?

All That being said I a considering riding a bike to Vegas and putting it in storage then flying home. I can fly to it whenever i have spare cash and some off days to burn.

There are many great rides that are only a day away from vegas so that makes it the ideal spot to store a bike.

Is anyone here doing this? Do you think it is a good idea?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
MICMERG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I will ship them in November from Montreal, store in our warehouse in Vegas for the Winter, return in second week of April in Montreal. Free access to your bike all winter - pickup and returns must be on weekdays.

Price will be $899 for round trip transport, $300-$350 storage. All insurance included.

Will offer same to Daytona area for $700 round trip transport.

register on www.mytripmybike.com or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mytripmybike/ to be advised of details when they are posted.

Same offer will be available from Quebec/Montreal/Toronto/Boston/New-York
MICMERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,378
I did it for a few years. The challenge was that I left a canadian bike in the U.S. my insurance company frowned upon that greatly. If you're bringing IT back and forth it might not be such a big deal, but if you're planning on leaving it there consider buying a U.S. bike to save being told you don't have coverage.
All that being said, check with your insurance company. I couldn't find one that would cover the bike as it was "out of territory" for too long
Old 02-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
I did it for a few years. The challenge was that I left a canadian bike in the U.S. my insurance company frowned upon that greatly. If you're bringing IT back and forth it might not be such a big deal, but if you're planning on leaving it there consider buying a U.S. bike to save being told you don't have coverage.
All that being said, check with your insurance company. I couldn't find one that would cover the bike as it was "out of territory" for too long

That is an important point. Of course I would probably leave a cheap used bike down there. I would not have means or desire to register a bike in my name in the US however. Maybe get US liability insurance for the CND bike.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That is an important point. Of course I would probably leave a cheap used bike down there. I would not have means or desire to register a bike in my name in the US however. Maybe get US liability insurance for the CND bike.
Pretty hard to get a U.S. insurance company to insure a canadian bike. I believe you'd have to import it into the U.S., kind of a mess. If I had the time to do it again I'd buy a bike in the state I plan on storing it in most of the time, register and insure it in my name using a friends address. This solves the messy insurance bit. It's not the loss of the bike I'd be concerned with, it's the legal trouble with having no coverage whatsoever if your canadian insurer figures out its been there too long. Insurance companies love to look for excuses not to pay claims.
If you find a way to get a U.S. company to cover a canadian bike please let me know. I'd be very interested.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #6
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 380
I bought a bike in Phoenix Arizona.
I am leaving it here in storage.

Basic insurance is $82.00/year
Storage runs from about $48/month for a 5' x 10' locker.
You can get good storage for $55.00 a month where you can have a trickle charger and they will start it every few weeks for you.

72 Yamaha 350 street 06 F650GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X ST1300
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #7
MICMERG
Adventurer

Most canadian insurance companies will accept 5 months coverage out of the country at no extra charge - our round trip transport is just within the 5 months..

Our warehouses are huge indoor facilities eith security, insurance, sureveillance and more. We store and carry bikes over $50000 and never had an issue. We can store up to 300 bikes (not individual lockers) indoor drive in/drive out.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manybike View Post
I bought a bike in Phoenix Arizona.
I am leaving it here in storage.

Basic insurance is $82.00/year
Storage runs from about $48/month for a 5' x 10' locker.
You can get good storage for $55.00 a month where you can have a trickle charger and they will start it every few weeks for you.
So you have no problem rgistering a bike in you name in Arizona with a Canadian drivers license? Same deal with insurance?

I would prefer having a Provincial tag on my bike because in QC it has disability insurance built into it that is valid anywhere in the world. That is a big plus for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICMERG View Post
Most canadian insurance companies will accept 5 months coverage out of the country at no extra charge - our round trip transport is just within the 5 months..
Wich companies allow 5 months?

Both companies I have used only allow 30 days in the US...
Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
manybike
Omnipresent

Quote:
So you have no problem rgistering a bike in you name in Arizona with a Canadian drivers license? Same deal with insurance?

I would prefer having a Provincial tag on my bike because in QC it has disability insurance built into it that is valid anywhere in the world. That is a big plus for me.

Wich companies allow 5 months?

Both companies I have used only allow 30 days in the US...
They do not seem to care where you are from to register a bike. I do believe they need an Arizona address of some sort.
When it comes to insurance I don't screw around. There seems to be a lot of Canadian plated bikes running around down here. Not sure if they are temporarily down here or kept in storage. You could talk to your insurance company about keeping a bike down here that is only used occasionally.
30 days does not sound right...does that mean you could only be on a 30 day driving holiday?...I would clarify that with them.
It is common for Canadians to go on multi month US drive abouts with a motorhome.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You could talk to your insurance company about keeping a bike down here that is only used occasionally.
30 days does not sound right...does that mean you could only be on a 30 day driving holiday?...I would clarify that with them.
It is common for Canadians to go on multi month US drive abouts with a motorhome.
Already had that conversation with them. They only allow me to go on a month long trip or else, I have to purchase an expensive rider, the rider is probably more expensive than a seperate policy in the US.

So far it has not been an issue because I have never been in the us for more than a few weeks at a time...

What do RTW type riders do? Their bikes have European, South Amercian, plates sometimes and they still manage to get insurance in th US I beleieve.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #11
manybike
Omnipresent

Quote:
Already had that conversation with them. They only allow me to go on a month long trip or else, I have to purchase an expensive rider, the rider is probably more expensive than a seperate policy in the US.

So far it has not been an issue because I have never been in the us for more than a few weeks at a time...

What do RTW type riders do? Their bikes have European, South Amercian, plates sometimes and they still manage to get insurance in th US I beleieve.
Okay, I am not familiar with QC insurance.
Is it the dreaded Government insurance?
In Alberta it is private insurance companies, BC, SK etc are all Government run...need I say more?
With Gov run insurance you are probably screwed, after all, why would you ever want to leave Canada? in January? where is your patriotism?

You mentioned some kind of disability insurance that is included in QC, what is that exactly?

Anyway, even with our dollar being in the toilet there are some good deals on bikes in the US.
Just make sure you have the clear title in your hand when you buy one...and do a serial number search (accidents etc)

As I mentioned, for a 06 F650GS my Arizona basic coverage is $82.00 USD per year. Great bike and I two up with my wife for day trips.
Figure out if you really need a expensive bike or (1200 cc's) to be happy and ride in the sunshine in January...hmmm...I will give you 2 milliseconds to think on that one!

Anyway, let me know if you need anymore questions answered.

Cheers

Old 02-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #12
manybike
Omnipresent

I just thought of something else.
Florida is ground zero for retirees from Quebec...I am sure they drive their cars down there for more than 30 days at a time.

manybike screwed with this post 02-20-2015 at 11:49 PM
Old 02-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
MICMERG
Adventurer

I deal with LA CAPITALE in Quebec and no problems for 5 months
Old 02-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #14
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
Pretty hard to get a U.S. insurance company to insure a canadian bike. I believe you'd have to import it into the U.S., kind of a mess. If I had the time to do it again I'd buy a bike in the state I plan on storing it in most of the time, register and insure it in my name using a friends address. This solves the messy insurance bit. Insurance companies love to look for excuses not to pay claims.
If you find a way to get a U.S. company to cover a canadian bike please let me know. I'd be very interested.
I'm currently in California with an Ontario-plated motorcycle and just inquired about getting local insurance coverage for my ride. The two companies I checked out will not issue insurance on a vehicle unless it is registered in the same state as the insurance requestor resides. This may be an internal policy of the two insurance companies I engaged or just something they came up with when it was brought to their attention it was a Canadian motorcycle, but shows a pattern of thought...

Two other things I found out:

1) In California, accidents and tickets roll off your driving record after three years. In Ontario it's six years for accidents and three years for basic traffic violations.

2) The California DMV is connected to the MTO database. I received my California driver's license in December and when the insurance agent entered my CA DL # into the DMV database, the agent said it pulled my record as it stands the MTO database. I'm not sure how the connection is made as I was not asked for nor did I volunteer my ON license info.

I think NY and Michigan are also connected, and I can imagine many others are as well.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #15
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Okay, I am not familiar with QC insurance.
Is it the dreaded Government insurance?
In Alberta it is private insurance companies, BC, SK etc are all Government run...need I say more?
With Gov run insurance you are probably screwed, after all, why would you ever want to leave Canada? in January? where is your patriotism?

You mentioned some kind of disability insurance that is included in QC, what is that exactly?
Yes is it the provincial insurance that comes with the registration.

The QC registration has built-in disability insurance. So if you crash (doesnt matter where) you will be covered. This makes the plates not cheap (600$/yr for a big bike) but you can transfer the registration from one bike to the other for 8$. Even if you have a bike stashed away down south, you can switch the coverage from your main bike to the other one for 8$ before youfly out.

For this reason I would want a QC plated bike down there.