User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Winnipeg550guy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Winnipeg to Victoria B.C.

Hello all, On June 5, I will be leaving on my longest road trip to date on 2 wheels, and most anticipated. I've travelled many times out West in the past on 4 and 18 wheels but this will be my first solo trip on my 98' R1100 GS.
I'm heading to the island to get some more tattoos done and will be tenting it almost entirely and preferably not in crowded provincial campgrounds, somewhere off in the bush is fine by me. I've got a time deadline of 10 days so it's going to be a whirlwind trip.
My biggest concern is tire wear, I'm currently running Metzler Tourance front and back with about 1/2 life left on rear and am wondering if I should call ahead to a place such as Anderwerks in Calgary to see if they carry a suitable replacement rear tire.
I've only had this GS for 1 year now and am unfamiliar with it's expected tire life.

Any recommendations on where to stop in and visit or even interesting places to stay along the way. I'd like to hear some suggestions.
Winnipeg550guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,346
Yeah, you're gonna need a rear tire somewhere along the way, if it's already 1/2 done. Standard Tourance [not that EXP thing] is a very good tire IMO, decent lifespan, you might make the coast depending on how your average speed is on the highway. Any BMW dealer will have these things in stock. This gives you Anderwerks in Calgary, Bentley Motorrad in Kelowna, Pacific Motorrad in Richmond, Vancouver Motorrad ijn Vancouver, and Island BMW in Victoria. Might as well run the thing to the warning mark, no sense in changing beforehand. If you are planning on slabbing it out to the coast, the distance from Winnipeg to Calgary is about 1200kms, from Calgary to Kelowna about 600 kms, Kelowna to Vancouver to Richmond/Vancouver about 390kms. Another 100kms maybe to downtown Victoria.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote