User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Commie OP
Kurwa Peligrosa

Oddometer: 2,955
Hacks

Anyone here ride a hack? There's a surprising scarcity of info out there and at this site about them. Just wondering if anyone has one and what's available these days.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
bear

Oddometer: n/a
I am getting a Ural, hopefully before the month is out, took a little longer than I thought thanks to my dog eating my loan application. I have looked at Urals for a while. There is info out there and we have people on this board who gave me a lot of info, comments from their experiences.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
Commie OP
Kurwa Peligrosa

Oddometer: 2,955
Cool! I was thinking about them, but only that, just thinking. Let me know how it goes.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear
I am getting a Ural, hopefully before the month is out, took a little longer than I thought thanks to my dog eating my loan application. I have looked at Urals for a while. There is info out there and we have people on this board who gave me a lot of info, comments from their experiences.

How soon is yer mochine due to arrive?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
bear

I get my money hopefully in a week and then I will go to Austin to order it. They said it will take 2 weeks to get in? which is weird cause when I called out of state everyone else could deliver in a week to my door. The guy in Austin had the best price. I am looking forward to Xmas break and tearing up some dirt roads I know and bopping around town.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear
I get my money hopefully in a week and then I will go to Austin to order it. They said it will take 2 weeks to get in? which is weird cause when I called out of state everyone else could deliver in a week to my door. The guy in Austin had the best price. I am looking forward to Xmas break and tearing up some dirt roads I know and bopping around town.

sweet! pm me your address and I'll mail you a little bling to celebrate your purchase.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:21 PM   #7
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Bear,
Gimme a holler if you want my sidecar buddy to come give you some pointers.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
bear

I will PM you or something when I know when I can pick the rig up.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:23 PM   #9
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by padraig
Anyone here ride a hack? There's a surprising scarcity of info out there and at this site about them. Just wondering if anyone has one and what's available these days.
Mine:

I belong to a vintage BMW club with roughly half a dozen members with sidecars, including:

Bob's BMW in Laurel, MD currently has this one for sale:

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:15 AM   #10
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,053
Cry

I've had and ridden a bunch of sidecars. All I have left now is a Guzzi T3 with a Sputnik chair on it. Some of the past ones were pretty interesting. For several years I had a Suzuki that I used to carry my Trials bike to events with. Called it the two headed motorbike. I'll look for pictures and post them if I can find em.
Another good one was a motorcross sidecar rig, with a Kawi H2 motor. (3 cyl.750cc two stroke). It didn't have a flywheel, so the throttle was more of an on/off switch. It was impossible to keep a tube in the rear tire. Even with three rim locks, and sheet metal screws holding the tire, it would still rip out the valve stem. It was also hard to keep going in a straight line, because the motor would make the rig wheelie. The drag of the slave wheel, caused the bike to turn to the right at every throttle twist.That bike earned me the nickname, "Cross-thread". All the parts were there, just not assembled right. No one would ride monkey for me, so the bike went away.......
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:53 AM   #11
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,282
I've always thought a roadracing "kneeler" sidecar would be fun, but as my wife always tells me when I bring it up,"Where are you going to find someone crazier than you to ride monkey?"
Old 11-11-2004, 10:51 AM   #12
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
I've always thought a roadracing "kneeler" sidecar would be fun, but as my wife always tells me when I bring it up,"Where are you going to find someone crazier than you to ride monkey?"
I used to ride an old road racing rig on the road - one day after a failed 360 on a narrow road where we almost flipped...the pregnant wife got off and said she'd walk home.I was kinda shocked,I've always thought of myself as a safe and considerate rider.Sidecars are dangerous,stay away from them.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:58 AM   #13
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73

A feller I knew had a beefed r100 stuffed into a swedish trellis type frame that was damned hear a kneeler. Ran on smal diameter, but very wide car tires. The hack was a box with a nosecone on it and a bajillion candlepower light. The hack was ballasted with a bunch of lead plates and the back 1/3 was a 10 gallon aux tank. He would blister from cali to the midwest on a moments notice.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:05 AM   #14
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer: 8,008
This is my 95 Muz with a Velorex side car running a Rotax 500cc motor. She'll do 65 mph with a tailwind and a midget in the chair.

Curvy screwed with this post 11-12-2004 at 09:00 AM
Curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #15
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,219
here you can see a bunch of pictures

that I took at the Intermot Show mostlly custom and fancy rigs but pretty much shows the great variaty of machine that you can get, from pure race machines to Fun fun toys..