Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2004, 09:32 AM   #16
Commie OP
Kurwa Peligrosa

Oddometer: 2,955
Which model Ural is the closest to the 1939 BMW? Or are they all like that?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:22 AM   #17
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by padraig
Which model Ural is the closest to the 1939 BMW? Or are they all like that?
The "R71" in the picture is actually a Chang Jiang (http://www.chang-jiang.com/motocycle.html). The one in the pictures was (if I recall correctly) bought for about $4500 in "kit" form and assembled by the owner. Assembly took him a Saturday as it wasn't much more than getting everything off a pallet, putting the wheels and on the bike and sidecar, adding all of the fluids, and a fresh battery. Although I have a vague memory of him saying that when he added the oil and then checked the level there were metal shavings on the dipstick so he immediately drained all the fluids and flushed everything before filling everything a second time and starting the bike. I may be getting him confused with a buddy of mine with a Ural, however.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #18
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
My rig:

'80 1100 Goldwing, EML Sport S. Uses 15" auto tires.

Can haul lots of stuff.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:08 PM   #19
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
PM this guy, RedMenace

He is a hack man
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:43 AM   #20
tommcbride
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Griffith Park in Los Angeles has a sidecar rally once a year.
Here are some photos from it Griffith Park Sidecar Rally 2004

This is my 1968 R69S with a 1973 Ural
Old 11-13-2004, 01:37 PM   #21
JimX
.. .

Oddometer: 680
Heidenwag + Krautter

1984 R100 Troika.

JimX screwed with this post 11-19-2004 at 02:37 PM
JimX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 02:18 PM   #22
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimX
1984 R100 Troika.
too bad that link didn't work(the board seems to be mighty picky-its a shame-the pictures in the threads were a big draw for me. I still say shit can Jomama to free up some space and bring the pix back).

when you said Troika I first thought you meant one of these:
Old 11-13-2004, 02:35 PM   #23
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Anyone here ride a hack? There's a surprising scarcity of info out there and at this site about them. Just wondering if anyone has one and what's available these days.
when i first started posting here I put up several threads with a bunch of pix and links. I think they are still around somewhere but are harder to find with a search since the server change...

Old 11-14-2004, 01:40 PM   #24
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Anyone here ride a hack? There's a surprising scarcity of info out there and at this site about them. Just wondering if anyone has one and what's available these days.
There is info out there if you can find it. Lots of info on setting up a rig, etc... There are always some rigs for sale on the IBMWR Marketplace. Like Story Mitchell found out, I swear that silver /5/Jupiter rig was just for sale there. I bough my first rig there, a BMW R90/6/Dnepr. I have since taken the Dnepr (very similar to a Ural) off and put it on my R75/5, of which I'll try and post a picture. Driving a sidecar rig is a whole different machine, than a solo machind, in fact its nuttin like a motorycle! Folks seem to either love 'em or hate 'em. I laugh when people say "when I get old, I'll get a sidecar and keep riding.." Yeah right, driving a sidecar rig is a whole lot more work than a solo bike. Except you don't have to worry about holding it up when you stop. But I guess its all realative. If you like to run hard, it is a lot of work. If you poke along at the speed limit (like my wife likes me to) its not that much work
My wife and I have been hangin' out with the "Riders of the Eastern Front" a few times. They are mostly Ural and other Russian Iron Riders up and down the Eastern coast. Wife like riding with them because they have a nice slow easy pace. I like the people, and the machines are beautiful. But you know, the talk around the campfires is generally about breakdowns, and how many engines they have replace . But also, it seems that the Ural factory folks are serious about improving thier procuct, and seem to stand behind them when they do break ! The new 750cc engine is a big improvement over the old 650.
Good luck! I really love riding my R75/5/Dnepr rig. I wouldn't give up my solo rigs though
Well, can't seem to get my photo to upload...Sorryy.....

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:57 PM   #25
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1
*snip* Like Story Mitchell found out, I swear that silver /5/Jupiter rig was just for sale there. *snip*
Yeah, my R75/5-562 came off of IBMWR. I did 75 miles today of mostly twisty roads, and my wrists and forearms are shot. A buddy on a /5 was with me, and he viewed the ride as leisurely. I thought it was a spirited ride, I'm exhausted, and I had the car catch air maybe half a dozen times.

pfestus1:

Saturday, November 27 at 11:30AM I'm going to meet some friends from the DC Vintage BMW Motorcyle club at The Inn at Afton Mountain, have lunch, and then ride Skyline Drive back up to Front Royal. You're welcome to join us for lunch and / or the ride. All of this is weather permitting, of course.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:27 PM   #26
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 604
"Saturday, November 27 at 11:30AM I'm going to meet some friends from the DC Vintage BMW Motorcyle club at The Inn at Afton Mountain, have lunch, and then ride Skyline Drive back up to Front Royal. You're welcome to join us for lunch and / or the ride. All of this is weather permitting, of course.[/QUOTE]

Story, thats a possibility for me. I'll be gettin' off work in Roanoke that morning, and if weather is not too cold, or wet, could ride to work, then easily get up to Afton by 11:30.
My sidecar is a bit heavier that your Jawa. I have done a couple of modifications that make it easier to steer. The main one is a modified triple tree system that moves the forks out some, thereby reducing trail. Its not as strong as a leading link, but does somewhat the same thing. Also I have a subframe that substantially reinforces the notoriusly weak /5 frame. Though if you are not hauling a lot of weight, then you may not be stressing your frame much. If I make it up, you can try my rig, and compare steering effort. Lean out of the bike, and toe in of the sidecar rig are also important to a good handling rig.
I know Gene and Joyce Rebas from several BMW rallies. I knew they had a /5 sidecar rig, but had never seen it. Hope it works well for you.
(still can't seem to upload a pic of my rig to this site??whats up there?? )

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:30 PM   #27
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1
"Saturday, November 27 at 11:30AM I'm going to meet some friends from the DC Vintage BMW Motorcyle club at The Inn at Afton Mountain, have lunch, and then ride Skyline Drive back up to Front Royal. You're welcome to join us for lunch and / or the ride. All of this is weather permitting, of course.
SNIP... from several BMW rallies. I knew they had a /5 sidecar rig, but had never seen it. Hope it works well for you.
(still can't seem to upload a pic of my rig to this site??whats up there?? )[/QUOTE] Yo bro' found this pic of your hack lying around.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #28
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Cj750

no one can buy just one!
Old 11-20-2004, 05:29 PM   #29
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

probably can't link to this picture of my Speed Triple hack, but I will give it a try...

Old 11-20-2004, 05:32 PM   #30
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

I stand corrected. Hmmm. I haven't been able to link to YAHOO sites before....