Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #61
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,265
I wonder how the new sr400 will compare to the old gn400.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #62
Robb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Been beating the bushes, haven't had any luck finding a titled frame for this GN400 ... still looking, but may end up parting it out. Cosmetically shabby, but a good runner. Anyone need a spare motor, carb, electricals, wheels, anything? Drop me a PM.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #63
wegface22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I have a gn250. Nobody says they like it, always ask why the hell i bought it. If they can ride i toss them the keys, they come back with a different opinion.
Not fast, not modern, but honest, simple, cheap, comfy and more fun than expected. I think the 400 should be really good....
"Olds cool"
Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #64
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Been beating the bushes, haven't had any luck finding a titled frame for this GN400 ... still looking, but may end up parting it out. Cosmetically shabby, but a good runner. Anyone need a spare motor, carb, electricals, wheels, anything? Drop me a PM.
Why do you need a titled frame? If the VIN number (old style number on that vintage) is on the frame and engine. simply apply for a replacement title at the DMV. If the frame and engine numbers don't match then its some more work. Or, check out the GN400 Yahoo Group forum. There is a member there selling a titled frame.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #65
Robb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Am already on the GN400 Yahoo group, but haven't seen the person selling the titled frame, even though I've asked around. Do you have a link or some contact info? I'd be very grateful!

As for the replacement title, I doubt they'll give me one - I mean, I show up with a bike and no documentation, they'll just accept a bill of sale and hand me a title? It's been my experience it doesn't work that way here in Wisconsin. If I'm wrong, school me, please!

Robb
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #66
Veemax
Cape Town rocks!

Oddometer: 104
My GN400

Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #67
AidanHodge
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Here's a little documentary series i'm making on me restoring my GN400. Unfortunately, my bike has several problems that I'm trying to fix so i can ride it with easy. The first problem is that it will bump start, but it wont kickstart. I found a couple reasons why it won't start. First, of course i had bad brown gas after two years of sitting, so i'm in the process of cleaning the tank. I've clean the carburetor as well which had some blockages. Second, the air filter... the poor airfilter cage was just stuffed with filter pillows when it is suppose to have a sock go around the outside of the cage. I suspect this could be the main reason why it won't start because it's getting less air flow than the carburetor would like. lastly, Upon inspecting the wire harness I found 4 exposed wires; pink, white/blue, orange, and white, all of which go to my lights, but two of which come directly from my stator and thus can short my stator before it has a chance to do anything. Also, my green/white wire which is suppose to branch off from the white.blue wire is disconnected and just hanging around under the seat, so id hate to see what else is wrong with it. Nonetheless, I fear that I may also have a problem with the cdi as mentioned on this forum.

Anyway here is my documentry i'm about 10 vids deep.
http://youtu.be/yBsBQVoiECw
AidanHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:25 AM   #68
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 193
I had a GN400 in the late 80s as a work hack it was a well abused example when i purchased it from a work colegue.
Sadly it came to a misserable end when the cam distroyed the cylinder head it still ran but was at that time just not practical for me to repair, i broke the bike sold the engine to a lad down on the south coast for beach racing.
Any one on the forum in the UK or Europe who need any parts for a GN400, i still have some around, notably a kick start gear leaver front disk brake assembly front wheel and rotor (spoked wheel). front pipe. front forks with tree. Rear wheel (spoked) and no doubt a few other bits and pieces but nothing that springs to mind here and now.
Anybody needs anything give me a shout. Bits will be cheap, just never throw anything away thats me.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #69
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Am already on the GN400 Yahoo group, but haven't seen the person selling the titled frame, even though I've asked around. Do you have a link or some contact info? I'd be very grateful!

As for the replacement title, I doubt they'll give me one - I mean, I show up with a bike and no documentation, they'll just accept a bill of sale and hand me a title? It's been my experience it doesn't work that way here in Wisconsin. If I'm wrong, school me, please!

Robb
I say it's worth a shot. Wis DMV can still run a trace on the VIN to check if there is any history that would block you from obtaining a replacement title. I have a 83 Honda XL600 that I bought back in 96, $200, bucket of parts for the engine, kid had no title, cash sale. I plan to submit the VIN at the DMV in Green Bay to see if I can get a replacement title for it. I want to build it into a retro-motard for bombing around town, 2-Wheel Tuesday events.