User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
cosmickites OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
2014 Ktm 1190 or keep Superduke 990?

so i have had the duke for 1 year and its a great bike. LOADS of power, fun to ride. i am considering selling and picking up the new ADV. Anyone out there made this same switch? thoughts? any feedback would be most appreciated.

thanks
cosmickites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
lentuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I took a like new (3000 miles) 2008 SD 990 for a 60 mile test ride and thought it was a phenomenal bike, I almost bought it but then rode a new 1190 standard and bought that instead.
To me it was even worth twice the cost of the used SD 990.
I now have 4 bikes and when I ride the other ones they all feel so boring and slow.......

lentuk screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 04:42 AM
lentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,868
had an SDR

love it when pavement is smooth. hated it on bumpy curves. geometry was so extreme front was unstable at high speeds. had to raise the front and rear. made the 34 in seat height even higher but not a big deal

I hope they get the 1290 suspension right. disappointed it doesnt have preload adj up front. ktm are sprung for bigger/heavier riders so more $$$ to set up.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
TakSD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Go for it!
I had a superduke for 7 years and had loads of fun on it but the 1190 is better! It's more comfortable, more powerful, and get this, faster in the twisties 99% of the time! I know that sounds wrong but unless your on a track to be safe and really push the superduke, it doesn't go fast... it needs the effort put into it. the 1190 just glides into corners and holds its line with ease... If you want the twitchy-ness and flick-ability of the SD then get the standard 1190 but I went for the R and won't look back :)
a few pictures in my post on one of the snake threads: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=681

A few years back I rented a multistrada 1200 in italy and toured round the country for a week, 2 up with my wife (girlfriend back then) and we loved that we could be on the bike 2 up, for 5+ hours a day without needing a back replacement, like on the superduke... The 1190 is even better than the multi...
Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
cosmickites OP
Adventurer

awesome, thanks crew.

now just gotta sell the SD
Old 04-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
cosmickites OP
Adventurer

sold el superduke and now trying to purchase the 1190 adventure.

cant wait!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakSD View Post
Go for it!
and get this, faster in the twisties 99% of the time! The 1190 is even better than the multi...
Old 04-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Go for it!
I had a superduke for 7 years and had loads of fun on it but the 1190 is better! It's more comfortable, more powerful, and get this, faster in the twisties 99% of the time! I know that sounds wrong but unless your on a track to be safe and really push the superduke, it doesn't go fast... it needs the effort put into it. the 1190 just glides into corners and holds its line with ease... If you want the twitchy-ness and flick-ability of the SD then get the standard 1190 but I went for the R and won't look back :)
a few pictures in my post on one of the snake threads: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=681

A few years back I rented a multistrada 1200 in italy and toured round the country for a week, 2 up with my wife (girlfriend back then) and we loved that we could be on the bike 2 up, for 5+ hours a day without needing a back replacement, like on the superduke... The 1190 is even better than the multi...
+1 I just traded my multistrada for an 1190 Standard and the bike is just better at more things. Great all around bike. Girlfriend likes it too...
Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
pne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I really liked my superduke, the 1190 looks great but more than 2x the cost... I don't know. I rode my superduke through some interesting trails that would make vstorm owners wince. The only thing that bike really needed was a slipper clutch and a skid plate. I think an SMT would have been perfect.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
cosmickites OP
Adventurer

got the 1190 adv today and not for 1 second am i having remorse from selling the duke. duke had its purpose but every day enjoyment was not it, for me.

i LOVE this adventure, i cant believe how user friendly it is, smooooth like silk, fun in the dirt and so many safety features. bring on the fun.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
TakSD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
+1 I just traded my multistrada for an 1190 Standard and the bike is just better at more things. Great all around bike. Girlfriend likes it too...
My wife also thinks it's better with much less vibration through the seat and on the rear handles! How do you find the 1190's handling in the twisties compared to the multi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmickites View Post
got the 1190 adv today and not for 1 second am i having remorse from selling the duke. duke had its purpose but every day enjoyment was not it, for me.

i LOVE this adventure, i cant believe how user friendly it is, smooooth like silk, fun in the dirt and so many safety features. bring on the fun.
Congratulations!!!! I wish the bike market was so developed and liquid here... It took me ages to sell my SD... Imagine if your so happy with it already, how good it will feel when you get some miles on it! See how smoothly the slipper clutch works!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
My wife also thinks it's better with much less vibration through the seat and on the rear handles! How do you find the 1190's handling in the twisties compared to the multi?

Congratulations!!!! I wish the bike market was so developed and liquid here... It took me ages to sell my SD... Imagine if your so happy with it already, how good it will feel when you get some miles on it! See how smoothly the slipper clutch works!
Turn in slightly slower, due to wheel size. Stability in corners excellent. Very responsive. I like.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
cosmickites OP
Adventurer

taking a road trip for the next 2 days on it for some street/dirt riding. way stoked. this bike really is the best bike i have ever owned and/or ridden. really confidence inspiring, and DAMN fast when you open that wrist