User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:24 AM   #1
Boatman OP
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,788
SE Safari tank repair??

I bought a used Safari tank for the SE back in Novemeber. At the time I pulled it out of the box and did a visual inspection and all looked fine. Fast forward to May and I'm getting ready for the trip I bought the tank to use. After a bunch of screwing around to get the cross brace installed so it didn't rub the radiator I rode the bike to gas station to fill it up and go for a test ride. As I'm filling I smell more gas fumes than I should and notice a leak right the top mounting bolt. Back at the shop I pull the tank and find it's got a pin hole right in the tip of the loop for the mounting bolt.

Looks to me from fiddling around, the sharp edge of the damper pin mount has abraded and cut into the tank.

Anyone had success repairing one of these tanks?? My first thought is some sort of plastic welding for the pinhole itself and then filling that loop from the inside with and epoxy.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #2
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,997
You might try a radiator shop specializing in plastic radiator repair. Ive done some plastic welding with very good success.
Good luck
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #3
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Does it still leak with 3.4 gallons in it? Sorry man, I don't know what I was thinking.

I'll be watching this as my safari has similar damage in the same area but not as bad and not leaking...yet.

Of note, make sure that brace doesn't kiss the front tire under full compression.

Good luck with the fix and be sure to post results/pics.
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #4
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the anwser is No, unless the tank was very new.
You may get a repair that lasts a while, but the petrol vapor gets into the plastic and any welding eventualy leaks, there is NO glue currently made that will fix polyethene. I had the same problem with an early acerbis tank for R100 BMW, I would fix it and it would last for a bit but ultimatly it will leak again, spoke with any number of peole in the plastic insustry, and the anwser from all was that once the poly gets petrol vapour in the pores of the plastic, its toast.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote