ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
travelsomewhere OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Throttle body and intake port question

I am currently doing a CPR Rottweiler intake conversion and stumbled upon something on dissasembly that i have a question with. When i pulled the throttle body off there was a black film on the walls that i could just wipe off with a little effort, then i shined a flashlight into the intake ports and the valves have a layer of black gunk on them too (kind of oily looking). Is there a safe way to clean this up without doing any harm? Like a spray or a fuel treatment?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Rharr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
pull the throttle bodies and take a rag soaked in brake clean and use that to wipe down the ports if you want. You could also get away with spraying a little break clean down the ports and on the valves if you want to wash some of it off but go easy don't want to wash to much of that cleaner down the cylinder. Then take a compressed air and a rag and cover the port and spray the now dirty brake clean out of the port with the air. You could also take a little fuel treatment like sea foam or redline and brush some of that on to the back sides of the valves and the ports, just make sure the intake valves are closed so you can keep the cleaner in place and not have it drain prematurely again easy does it like less then a TSP.

Let is sit and then start the bike a run it out side it will smoke like hell and may not start first hit but after it burns all the stuff off it should be ok. Then dump in the prescribe about of the left over fuel treatment (Redline fuel system cleaner preferred) into the gas tanks for a few tanks, that will be about as good as it will get.

the gunk isn't a issue unless it is very heavy and actually reducing port size.
Old Suzuki GS stuff
Rharr is offline   Reply With Quote