ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer
 
AdventureLeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Bremerhaven
Oddometer: 86
Broke Down 1190AdvR RTW Brasil - Need Help

Hello there,

attached you will find a video that shows the problems I am dealing with.

https://vimeo.com/104243888
Passwort: Startprobleme

I am in Brazil right now. I made this video for the KTM Service in Austria. But well - since it can take a while till they respond, I wanted to show it to you as well. If there is anyone out there that knows about the problem let me know. No KTM dealer in Brasil and next big city 400km away.

The video is German - but the pictures should explain themselves.

It's about two problems. They come and go as they like. Sometimes I am riding the bike for days without problems. Then it's not starting or the other problem. Sometimes it's both - sometimes just one.

The trick with the gasolinetube also works without car. That's just when battery becomes tooo week. I probably don't need to tell you, that this is no fun riding on a RTW.

Last service done 4000 Km ago. Everything was done! I have Unifilter installed. Airbox is clean. I don't know what do check anymore. Since the problems just occur "parttime" it's difficult to locate them. No Error in display.

I had the same problems at the beginning of my trip. After the service it was good for a while. But now it's all coming back.

Tschau Martin
__________________
"Träume sind zum Leben da! Man darf sie nur nicht vergessen"
http://www.freiheitenwelt.de
AdventureLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....
 
PineyMountainRacing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: SW Florida / Western NC
Oddometer: 1,924
Your video may be in German, but I'm getting a message that it's private, a password is needed to view. Better make sure KTM can view it.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Fezztone
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 25
The password is in the OP.
I'd guess the fuel filter. Seems consistent with other folks on the forum that describe similar symptoms.
Fezztone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureLeo View Post
https://vimeo.com/104243888
Passwort: Startprobleme


Last service done 4000 Km ago. Everything was done!
The Fuel Filter was changed?

I still say the stumbling is the furl filter. Drop the pump, pull the filter......washing out good or run without till you get a new one.
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS

kag screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 07:40 PM
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
David37
Gnarly Adventurer
 
David37's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: SLO County
Oddometer: 381
+2 lack of fuel. In addition to cleaning the fuel pump screen, I would remove the fuel petcocks and clean the inside tank screens, I think there is a factory inline fuel filter, I would clean or replace the filter. Don't be surprised if one of your fuel injectors are clogged too. I know you're in Brazil but see if you can find Twin Air or Slipstream fuel filters, these filters are made of a very fine mesh material that is designed to go inside your gas tank.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/se...m=fuel+filters
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,409
Like others have mentioned, it seems fuel related. Could it be related to the 15-20% ethanol content in the gasoline in Brazil (and possibly some water with it...)? Besides the cleaning fuel line/filter others recommend here, I would suggest emptying the tank and adding fresh fuel as a starting point. Also, the ethanol could have corroded/gummed up the fuel pump...
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Bluesilver
Scrat
 
Bluesilver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 265
Could this not be a battery/power issue? Seen as it comes and goes if it was a fuel filter it would be block period and only get worse.

What year model is your R and how old is the battery, my was replaced after 11months/4000km by KTM.

I remember when we ran powerport class we removed the stator and flywheel, kept a full charged battery and ran the race with a single charge till one day I forgot to swop it out in race 2 and my bike ran dead like his does.

If you have bad cable connections or battery, this could happen especially depending how many auxiliaries you have connected at the time like heated grips..seats...gps...etc...
__________________
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure (KTM R&D bike)
2012 KTM 300 EXC ( REAL KTM )
2007 CRF150RB ( Enduro )
2007 CRF50
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:42 AM   #8
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 7,304
That is not a good advertisement for KTM....battery sounds tired, I'd head for the nearest KTM dealer......

Sell the bike and pick a used 950....
__________________
Beauty is truth and truth is beauty.
Charlie's Side Stand Relocator.
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:30 AM   #9
CMurgel
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Campinas Brasil
Oddometer: 86
where are you in Brazil now?

I may help you to bind a ktm mechanic and if you need a have a set of fuell filters for my 990 A that I can give to you.

Give me a call 55 19 991137961 (english please)

I am near São Paulo but can ship the filters to you.

Carlos


Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureLeo View Post
Hello there,

attached you will find a video that shows the problems I am dealing with.

https://vimeo.com/104243888
Passwort: Startprobleme

I am in Brazil right now. I made this video for the KTM Service in Austria. But well - since it can take a while till they respond, I wanted to show it to you as well. If there is anyone out there that knows about the problem let me know. No KTM dealer in Brasil and next big city 400km away.

The video is German - but the pictures should explain themselves.

It's about two problems. They come and go as they like. Sometimes I am riding the bike for days without problems. Then it's not starting or the other problem. Sometimes it's both - sometimes just one.

The trick with the gasolinetube also works without car. That's just when battery becomes tooo week. I probably don't need to tell you, that this is no fun riding on a RTW.

Last service done 4000 Km ago. Everything was done! I have Unifilter installed. Airbox is clean. I don't know what do check anymore. Since the problems just occur "parttime" it's difficult to locate them. No Error in display.

I had the same problems at the beginning of my trip. After the service it was good for a while. But now it's all coming back.

Tschau Martin
CMurgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 AM   #10
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,025


Outstanding........Adv forum rocks some days
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer
 
AdventureLeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Bremerhaven
Oddometer: 86
Hi there,

thanks for the ideas. I had the same problems in Chile before. At this time the motorbike was as new.
I don't think it's the gasoline. They sell Ethanol and Gasoline here. All the other BMW, Triumphs whatever also ride that gasoline. Why just KTM has Problems with this?

New Gasfilters are on it's way already. But still confuses me. Why is it working sometimes - and sometimes no? The pressure on the pump seems to be alright as well.
For example! The first part of the video was shot in the afternoon. The morning I was riding the bike as normal. No Problems with power nothing. After a 30 Minute break I had the problems. I filled up gasoline the morning. So - there was no change nothing.

Battery - yes it's week and I already ordered a new one. But why doesn't it start with a carbattery connected? That's maximum power and the cable is good for high currents.

I wonder what KTM will respond.

Cheers Martin
__________________
"Träume sind zum Leben da! Man darf sie nur nicht vergessen"
http://www.freiheitenwelt.de
AdventureLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #12
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer
 
AdventureLeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Bremerhaven
Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
That is not a good advertisement for KTM....battery sounds tired, I'd head for the nearest KTM dealer......

Sell the bike and pick a used 950....
Next dealer prob. more then 3000 miles away. ;-)
__________________
"Träume sind zum Leben da! Man darf sie nur nicht vergessen"
http://www.freiheitenwelt.de
AdventureLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 7,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureLeo View Post
Next dealer prob. more then 3000 miles away. ;-)
Train cargo, then a flight.....? It sound like a two stroke with bad reed valves or crank seal gone. Have you checked the FI bodies and gaiters for leaks....If its a FI electronic issue...where to start without diagnostics....
__________________
Beauty is truth and truth is beauty.
Charlie's Side Stand Relocator.
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #14
CMurgel
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Campinas Brasil
Oddometer: 86
Martin another idea could be the air vent blocked.

When ever the bike does the thing try to open the gas cap and see if there is a vacum, just another idea.

What is not very clear is that you had the same problem in Chile and there the fuel usually is very good.

The Ethanol fuel here in Brazil usually keeps things very clean the only problem is when you buy bad fuel and they add solvent or water.

Just for the reference my 990A has almost 30k miles and still on the stock gas filters, never had a problem.

Martin try to buy from Petrobras, Shell gas stations.

PS. We have a really good KTM mechanic near my city and he is excellent:

HERBERT MOTOS
Itajubá – MG
Av. Padre Lourenço da Costa, 1586
Tel. (35) 3623-7126
herbertmotos@uol.com.br


Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureLeo View Post
Hi there,

thanks for the ideas. I had the same problems in Chile before. At this time the motorbike was as new.
I don't think it's the gasoline. They sell Ethanol and Gasoline here. All the other BMW, Triumphs whatever also ride that gasoline. Why just KTM has Problems with this?

New Gasfilters are on it's way already. But still confuses me. Why is it working sometimes - and sometimes no? The pressure on the pump seems to be alright as well.
For example! The first part of the video was shot in the afternoon. The morning I was riding the bike as normal. No Problems with power nothing. After a 30 Minute break I had the problems. I filled up gasoline the morning. So - there was no change nothing.

Battery - yes it's week and I already ordered a new one. But why doesn't it start with a carbattery connected? That's maximum power and the cable is good for high currents.

I wonder what KTM will respond.

Cheers Martin
CMurgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #15
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer
 
AdventureLeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Bremerhaven
Oddometer: 86
Hi

"When ever the bike does the thing try to open the gas cap and see if there is a vacum, just another idea."

I tried this - actually with the old airing cap (there was a TI from KTM) - this worked. But now it seems to be different...

I am in Lencois - so not realy close by - wanted to ride norht - Amazon - Venezuela. But like this thats to risky.

Greetings Martin
__________________
"Träume sind zum Leben da! Man darf sie nur nicht vergessen"
http://www.freiheitenwelt.de
AdventureLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014