ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Mleaky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Euro headlight + LED ?

Anyone here tried using led bulbs in the euro headlight?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Bowber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Have a look in the vendors section, there are a few selling LED headlight bulbs and there is peoples feedback in the threads.

H3 & H7 needed, I think there is no problem getting the H7 but not sure about the H3

Steve
Bowber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,873
Bulbs H3 also available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowber View Post

H3 & H7 needed, I think there is no problem getting the H7 but not sure about the H3

Steve
Haven't tried it yet though
Cheers
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:08 AM   #4
Whele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Yes, I tried it some weeks ago. Superbright LED low beam bulb, it claimed to be brighter than 55w halogen bulbs. Sadly it was almost unusable. I took it out the next day and replaced it with a HID 50 600K bulb which by comparision is probably 5x brighter.

I think there is still a long way to go in their development.
Whele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
gefr
Life is a trip

Sorry to hear that.

You are dissapointing me.
Cheers
Old 12-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whele View Post
Yes, I tried it some weeks ago. Superbright LED low beam bulb, it claimed to be brighter than 55w halogen bulbs. Sadly it was almost unusable. I took it out the next day and replaced it with a HID 50 600K bulb which by comparision is probably 5x brighter.

I think there is still a long way to go in their development.
which one did you try ?

I put Cyclops' LED Hi/Lo in my '04 525 stock rectangle and it kicks ass on the Osram HID I had in there
Old 12-23-2014, 04:21 AM   #7
Whele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
which one did you try ?

I put Cyclops' LED Hi/Lo in my '04 525 stock rectangle and it kicks ass on the Osram HID I had in there

So First I did the cheap option from eBay, it was crap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000K-Xenon-...-/171600376061

So I figured spend a bit more and get a decent output, I purchased this kit as a single unit, it was better, but still not good enough for dark lanes etc
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h7-50w-...mp-kit-1800lm/

Finally I reinstalled my original HID light which I think is probably 5x brighter than the LED option.
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/50w-hid...1-hb3-hb4-hb5/
Whele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Just like on LED Aux lights, All led's are not created equal.
The term "you get what you pay for" could never be more true.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Just like on LED Aux lights, All led's are not created equal.
The term "you get what you pay for" could never be more true.
So- given what you've seen of this poster's choices, would you say your version is significantly better, and why?

This is the internet, so let me be clear: My tone is not argumentative, I'm wanting to learn about the available products and their differences.

And I have a Euro-headlit 990 Adventure...

Thank you.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Rocking Off Road Ryder's in my low beam Euro all summer. It was fantastic and better output than my 35w HID. Haven't installed the H1 in the high yet, but expect equally good things. That's right, h1. Tried to fit the h3 but it doesn't clear the stay, so he was kind enough to do the swap for me.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
FakeName

Help me understand "fantastic and better"- is the quantity of the light greater, or it's quality? Is the light focused and clipped similar to the standard halogen, but it's actually brighter?

Thanks.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 12-27-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
gefr
Life is a trip

So H3 is not a real H3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
That's right, h1. Tried to fit the H3 but it doesn't clear the stay, so he was kind enough to do the swap for me.
I just bought a H3 and H7. Maybe I need to return H3?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Euro headlight + LED ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Help me understand "fantastic and better"- is the quantity of the light greater, or it's quality? Is the light focused and clipped similar to the standard halogen, but it's actually brighter?

Thanks.

Sure...

I never did any real comparison tests, no side by side photos.
Just threw the thing in the headlight, after a bunch of other maint, before hitting the road for two weeks....

But I've spent a lot of time with those HIDs.
So when I say "it was fantastic," I'm saying that I was surprised and quite pleased at first use.

Those HID ballasts had always been a bit finicky for me, especially with the kind of abuse my bike sees, but damn if their output couldn't be beat for far too long. I loved their quality of light. Nothing was quite as bright, and had the same sort of quality (color temp, spectral response, falloff, etc..) Well,
ORR's led had me immediately. It just looked right. And yes, those HID's scatter in the wrong type of reflector. Sure ORR's led does too. After all, the reflector is made for a certain type of bulb. But the LED's face up and down. It's not (almost) 360 like the HID. The LED appears much more focused. And the color temp is spot on where I want it. Not too cool, not to warm. It's just the right temp for an optimal "perceived" brightness / clarity. Sure if you know what you're after when buy HID, you could get that too. But I thought it was fantastic that the bulb was so spot on from simply throwing the damn thing in and going for it. I put my faith in his product, took no spare, and out the gate we were good.

As far as "better," well, no side by side, as I said. But clearly I was impressed out the gate. When I found myself in the middle of the woods with the sun slipping past the horizon though, it sure as hell felt brighter than the HID too. I'm racking my memory here, of course, but I think the actual light output was greater than the 35w HID. It could just be better focusing, could just be the light being thrown in a better place, but it felt brighter where I needed it. What is better though, IMO is the solid state nature. With the crashing that I do, I know those little LED's are fine. My only concern, the moving fan. And I'll be honest, it's been noisy at times. After a few hard nocks, it'll slip off its bearings a lil bit and create some noise when first starting. But it'll settle back in after a min or two. Honestly, not a big deal. The thing is made sturdy as hell. What is definitely better though is power consumption. Even though I have, and use, the euro switch for all the times I'm stalling and giving my battery hell, it's nice to know I've cut back on power consumption, to have it avail elsewhere. Honestly, this alone for me was reason enough to switch.

I had planned on adding external LEDs to supplement the low beam. Especially after I tried the H3 and it didn't fit. But he was kind enough to swap me out with the H1. When I bought the H3 at the time, nobody (publicly at least) had tried to fit it in the 990 euro headlight. I believe ORR bought one though, came to the same conclusion, and found the H1 to work instead. I've yet to try it, but as I said, I'm hoping it'll spare me from wiring, and probably breaking, and external unit.

But that's right. H1. Not H3.

Hoped that helped.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
Hoped that helped.
It did, and thanks.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 12-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #15
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 304
A week ago i installed a H4 Cyclops LED in my euro headlight (ordered via Zen overland).
The LED lamp is quite bright compaired to the stock bulb.
I don't drive in the winter so it takes a couple of months before i can see how the light beam is on the street.
But first impressions are good.

Some pictures from the installation:

Before:

After: