ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #1
Hobbsrt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
990 Adv electrical issue

After riding about 45 minutes, the bike dies. With a jump it's good after that for at least the same time. I have checked ground wires, other wires, connectors, etc. Replaced regulator with a ricks Motorsport regulator after they tested it and it was bad. Rode 8 hours or so last weekend and everything was fine. This weekend it died again. Tested stator and it seems fine, battery test shows 14v in off position, 13 v at idle and 14.35 at about 2500 rpm. Battery is new and is a shorai that has died 3-4 times on me.

When I installed ricks it hooks up directly to the battery. I am wondering if I should disconnect the old connector from the battery if this will make a difference? It shouldn't be drawing anything as it's just sitting there and don't think it could be arcing with anything.

ideas? Anyone in Conifer, CO area to help? I have a clean and heated garage and beer. Good mechanic for KTM's in Denver area?

2012 Triumph Explorer
Hobbsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,158
Ign and side stand switches checked ?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Hobbsrt OP
Adventurer

990 Adv Electrical

side stand switch has been removed, haven't checked ignition but I would think this wouldn't cause dying issue instead starting issue?

2012 Triumph Explorer
Old 03-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
the bike dies
What do you mean?
I understand the engine stop by itself with no reason.
Ignition key switch can do that
Old 03-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 4,176
The wiring at the starter relay could also kill the engine.

Loose battery poles, steering bars cable lot?
Cheers
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Hobbsrt OP
Adventurer

Checked ignition and all good there including wires coming through frame that can get pinched. I did make mod so it wouldn't happen in the future though. Checked battery connections, all good. Talked to ktm world in GA, USA and they think maybe it's a bad starter relay, will let you know in a week or so. Thanks everyone for their ideas.

If it were mechanical, no worries. Electrical, blah!

2012 Triumph Explorer
Old 03-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,681
A 6-wire bundle from the ignition key goes down by the headtube on my '07 990.
Mine got mixed up in the plastic shroud there and pinched the wires and caused invisible and random problems exactly as you described. I could only locate it as it got worse and I could tie it to when the handlebars turn just riiiight. The wires really did look good from the outside, so it was hard to troubleshoot, but the copper strands were stretched and ripped apart inside the insulation. Only 2 of the wires continued on past the next connector on my year bike, so replacing and re-routing those two wires all the way to the switch was an easy fix.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Hobbsrt OP
Adventurer

so it did turn out to be the starter relay. Thank you KTM World! love this place. every bolt or part you could want in an easy format and super helpful customer service!

2012 Triumph Explorer
Old 03-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 4,176
Let's collect our experiences

At what miliage do the starter relays die? Can you give us your miliage?
Cheers
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
Hobbsrt OP
Adventurer

about 14000 is when I replaced mine. Bought the bike in October with 13800 and a bad starter relay apparently.

2012 Triumph Explorer
Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
Hobbsrt OP
Adventurer

so I dont think it was the starter relay afterall. it died again and this time wouldnt start back up. battery was dead. I thought it was the battery and I took it in and got it tested and they said it tested fine. I thought something was up with the battery but coudnt find anything I have a shorai lithium battery. So I brought it to the fine folks at ELite Motorsports in Loveland. A long way from my casa but I heard they do great work. They tested everything and couldnt find anything, but think it maybe the the KTM 990 adventure just doesnt like the lithium batteries. they threw in a new one and after 2 days and 375 miles evything is working fine. been on road off road through water and all is good. hopefully that was it. nothing like not trusting your bike.

2012 Triumph Explorer
Old 06-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #12
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
If you are still running the Shorai you need 14.4+ volts running to keep it charged. Battery needs to be around 13.3V after charging and sitting without motor running. I suspect voltage regulator or battery problems. Bad starter relay won't drain battery.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #13
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Do you have crashbars on the bike still? The left side crash bar, where it mounts to the frame by you leg......there's a small wire that runs behind that frame that's easy to get pinched in the crash bar mount. When that happens, the bike will either cut out and die or a fuse will blow causing the bike to die. Just one other thing to check for since it looks like you've already hit the most common stuff.

Kronreif, Trunkenpolz of Mattighofen - Model 990, Adventure Baja
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #14
Hobbsrt OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys. I replaced the regulator before the starter relay. replaced battery to KTM OEM, seems to be running fine now. The KTM mechanic said that the 990's just dont like the lithium, so hopefully he is spot on longer term. Upto about 400 miles now and still going. I will check the wire by the crash bars as a precaution. appreciate the feedback.

2012 Triumph Explorer