Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
stuza OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
OK to repair dented rims?

Hi guys,

so as some of you kindly helped a couple of weeks ago and will know, it seems i've also suffered from KTM wheel rim flat spot... well, if KTM make the rims out of butter, what do we expect?

The net effect is that at about 170km/h, the front starts vibrating, badly. The current solution is of course, not to ride above 165. The long term solution? Well that's where I need your advice.

I've been told about a guy here in Muscat, Oman, who will be able to remove most of the flat spot but, this leaves me wondering if this is safe to do so? Is there any chance of micro-fractures where the wheel will one day collapse on me?

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance!

edit: sorry, it's an 1190 R running K60 scout.
stuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #2
BMfan
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey Stuza
Well now this is a coincidence!
I am also in Muscat and just bought a 2003, 950 Adventure.
And guess what! The front rim is also flat-spotted.
I really don't think it will be a problem to straighten them, seeing the material is so soft. Just don't know how long it will stay round.
It will be interesting to see what the experts say.
BMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
stuza OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMfan View Post
Hey Stuza
Well now this is a coincidence!
I am also in Muscat and just bought a 2003, 950 Adventure.
And guess what! The front rim is also flat-spotted.
I really don't think it will be a problem to straighten them, seeing the material is so soft. Just don't know how long it will stay round.
It will be interesting to see what the experts say.
From Josep? Top guy and an AWESOME rider! I'm sad to say that I've only just met him as he's about to leave Oman.

We're heading out to Trans Hajar on Friday morning. It's only gravel/graded but still fun with a couple of steep hills. Interested? PM me your number and I'll get you on the WhatsApp group and Facebook group... if you're interested :)

Not sure how long you've been here but Wahibi Motors at the Oman Automobile Association said they had someone who could repair it to a better state, i'm just worried about other hidden damage.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
ride-for-life
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
If your talking about a behr wheel, my experience with them "yeah their soft" but they can be put back in to true time and time again. The softness is bad but good they bend but mine never cracked. I used hammers, press's and c-clamps to straighten them back up with no cracks.
Finely got tired of messing with them and went with a new excel rim with ss spokes and nipples.
As I look back, aftermarket wheel in steed of messing with the behr money better spent.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,904
I have found the easiest method on my own is to jack my car up put the rim under the tyre , pack if needed for sprocket or discs then have the ding opposite to the tyre clamp. Use a large pursuader , sledge hammer. NB loosen the spokes around the dented area. you can use some breadboard to save the aluminium from burring. It works bloody great.

The 950's 990s will bob and chop at that speed for a number of reasons . I think their geometry is the main one , suspension and load play a biggy.

Best of luck , BTW i would love to ride around Oman ,UAE ,Iraq, Iran must be a top place to ride from what ive seen.
Gimme2
Old 08-21-2014, 04:12 AM   #6
BMfan
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi Stuza
Yes I bought Joseph's bike. Haven't ridden much. There are a few small things I want to sort out first.
Ill send you my no by pm.
BMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I know you're in Oman so I don't know how hard it would be to buy a replacement rim. IMO I would replace the stock "butter" rim with a stronger Excel rim and SS spokes, relace and be done with your bent rim problems.
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,374
To remove the dents, I use a hydraulic press and a heat gun. Get the metal nice and hot, then apply about a ton and a half to it. Presto, no more dent.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Joe Motocross
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Yup, go for it. Make sure you balance it well again afterwards.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM   #10
stuza OP
Adventurer

Hi Guys,

thanks for the responses. My mechanic did manage to press it out a bit but it still won't do above 180 ish without starting to vibrate. I guess I'll live with it until I can afford to throw away 1000$ on a new wheel