ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #1516
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilso122 View Post
Wonder what makes it a rare limited edition? 238 miles though, almost looks like more..
No... 238 miles is about right, stock tires about just about toast.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #1517
AirDale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Any advice on where to run the crankcase breather hose? Are most of you leaving it terminating in the stock location at the top of the air box, or modifying it and terminating it outside? I'm in the middle of the SAS removal and wondering what I should do with the hose.
AirDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #1518
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDale View Post
Any advice on where to run the crankcase breather hose? Are most of you leaving it terminating in the stock location at the top of the air box ...
I left mine venting into the air box as stock,
When I desmogged mine
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #1519
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
couple of quick questions about the SE-

1) i have a safari tank. is there a reserve or does it just assume because you have 8 gal capacity that you won't run out? I usually just put a couple of gallons in but wondered if I run it dry is it really dry? I'm assuming yes because the fuel petcocks are just a screw type, so no other setting than "on", right?

2) output of alternator I think I read was about 450 watts? my bike has heated grips and a garmin GPS. I want to probably use my heated jacket (75 watts) and maybe gloves (24 watts). On my hard wired Garmin (176c) it shows voltage, usually 13.4-13.8 volts with the grips going. is that pretty accurate and how low can I get before I have to worry about it starting after I stop (again, I could assume 12v, but what do I know?)? I'd like to add some LED lights down the road as well and wondering how much juice I have to play with...

3) It has heated grips, I think KTM brand? there's a switch on the dash where center is off. it's supposed to have a high and low, any idea which side is which? I tried them out last weekend but didn't notice much change from one side to the other, but it was some stop and start traffic and I turned them off when we got to the fun stuff. :)
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #1520
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
and one last one- i got a touratech tank bag with my SE but no instructions. Looked around their website and nada.

anyone know how to hook this thing up, or have a good photo of their setup I could see how it's mounted. I Assumed it would be pretty intuitive but I guess I'm missing those genes...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #1521
AirDale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Originally Posted by AirDale
Any advice on where to run the crankcase breather hose? Are most of you leaving it terminating in the stock location at the top of the air box ...
I left mine venting into the air box as stock,
When I desmogged mine

I read of a few people having some problems with oil contaminating the air filter, is this common or just a problem when overfilling the oil?
AirDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #1522
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,913
Just putting this out there in case someone else happens to find it when it's needed.

I found my intermittent ignition fuse short this evening. After much metering of the harness and tracing of things I tracked it down to the speedo sensor cable. Apparently it had worked loose to the point in which it rubbed on the front rotor. This resulted in the jumpy speed signal I was getting as well as creating a ground which would blow the ignition fuse. Of course it was intermittent with motion

So, if your ignition fuse just randomly blows one day keep the speedo cable in mind for a quick look over.
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #1523
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle View Post
So, if your ignition fuse just randomly blows one day keep the speedo cable in mind for a quick look over.
Now thats a strange one
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #1524
mmurry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
no reserve in the safari tank, but your low fuel warning light should still be functioning... I bought the clear safari tank so I can eyeball my remaining fuel at a glance
mmurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #1525
whitehaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
caps post epc

Last weekend I purchased a very good example SE pharrrrk what a weapon!
I have previously owned a 07 990 Adventure and my first impressions are the SE feels more fun, lighter, and easier to ride in the dirt and on the road and its like a hooligan bike.
Its already in pieces as I am doing the EPC removal,my question is where can I source the CAPS that are needed to cover where the 2 hoses are removed from the carbys and also the one outlet at the back of the airbox from the SAS removal.
I know that the 2 holes on the side of the airbox are replaced by a similar plug like on the swing arm but the other 3 are a pain to source,thanks.
whitehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #1526
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
20mmm blind electrical grommets is what you need, dab of silicon to get a good seal. Ebay might be best

Here is what I mean for Ref#
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...FSHHtAodNEAA2Q
wilso122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #1527
whitehaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
What I am chasing are the plastic tube looking things that slide over the now 3 exposed hose nozzles.
I also want to run a Unifilter Pre Filter that replaces the plastic snorkel but mine has a hose coming up and out of the snorkel and then goes down and clamps on to the airbox lid what is this for and can I get rid of to mount the Pre Filter.
The HOW only shows a Adventure and a SM that do not have this snorkel hose.
whitehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #1528
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehaven View Post
What I am chasing are the plastic tube looking things that slide over the now 3 exposed hose nozzles.
I also want to run a Unifilter Pre Filter that replaces the plastic snorkel but mine has a hose coming up and out of the snorkel and then goes down and clamps on to the airbox lid what is this for and can I get rid of to mount the Pre Filter.
The HOW only shows a Adventure and a SM that do not have this snorkel hose.

just pull the snorkel out & the uni pre-filter fits in there/it replaces the snorkel on the ADV/SE/SM.

i'd say he means the "Rubber Vacuum Caps" ebay search for that tirm

vacuum caps:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.6Z1usGqKqeE

rubber blanking grommets:
https://www.google.com/search?q=rubb...w=1170&bih=746

some info here:
http://home.comcast.net/~garrysimmon...er-Removal.htm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...canesterectomy

MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 06:44 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #1529
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 535
Ive had a 690R & loved it but it had its issues. Also had a Honda Superhawk, which I loved. Sold the 690R for a 2004 GSA 1150. The GSA is great, but its not all that exciting & doesnt handle the offroad abuse that I give it. Question is would a SE be able to fit the bill for my needs? I dont have a car. I commute for work. Ride off road, slab, rip through the twisties, backroads & tour on my bikes. I also have an Alaska Trip in the works in the next couple of years, about 12k miles roundtrip. Would the SE fit this roll? I miss the excitement of the 690R & Superhawk but want the tourability of the GSA. Thinking of a 950SE with Safari tank & a raid designs fairing would fit the bill nicely.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #1530
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Yes it will do it all. Not quite as dirt worthy as the 690(had one) less of a boring slab eater than the 1150(had one). Its a compromise of each end of the spectrum but a great value with prices where they are. I rode mine to AK last year.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote