Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #1546
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 704
What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Street Gang View Post
Re-Jet depends on what modifications you've done. Personally I replaced the stock exhaust, removed all the emissions crap, did the UNI Pre-Filter, and re-jetted the carb all at the same time. All the changes at once had a dramatic effect on how the bike ran. I run the Uni-Filter with a skin over it(both oiled).
I think the uni is a good set up. Work very well tell I switched to the Motoholligan airr box and A even more dramatic effect on how the bike runs (screams)!
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #1547
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Has anybody relocated 950SE original fuelpump from fuel tank to frame? Where? Do you have any pics?
I would like to avoid disconnecting electrical connectors and fuel hoses every time I have to remove fuel tank.
I'm also installing CPR air filter, so I will have little more room under fuel tank.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #1548
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehaven View Post
Looking at the Great Basin saddle bag by Giant Loop,it appeals to me as it saves the weight of racks and tucks the sides and weight in closer to the bike but the photos I have seen look like it cramps the riding position as its on the rear of the seat. Whats your experience with the Great Basin.
The Great Basin doesn't cramp at all. It actually shifts the bag back over the tail rack and away from the rider. It works fantastic and keeps all the gear snug into the frame. It handles a layover great and does not suck your feet under it. You'll need to mount their provided exhaust shield. Also I'd recommend picking up some clear bra adhesive paint protector tape from 3M or equivelent to wrap your rear side covers as dirt will get trapped under the bags and rub into your graphics on a long haul.

The only knock on the Great Basin can easily be subverted... If you add a second top bag, it blocks access to the GB. Make sure your second bag has side zips where you can place items you need quick access to like your layers, so they are not buried in the GB below. A back pack works great as a second top bag to the GB where as you start removing the items out you throw it on your back to allow access to the GB when you are nearing camp.

For Adventure touring... I find the Great Basin one of the best product designs ever, seriously

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 02:44 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #1549
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,274
All you "core" guys go ahead and laugh at me, but I got another oil question.

What interval are you all changing your oil at? My manual says 7500KM, which is 4660 miles according to the internets.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #1550
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
All you "core" guys go ahead and laugh at me, but I got another oil question. What interval are you all changing your oil at? My manual says 7500KM, which is 4660 miles according to the internets.
Generally between 3,000 and 3,500 miles- and usually closer to 3,500; but have changed it in less miles if I've done a couple of events in a row.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #1551
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,895
I can see where these post are headed ...

Please don't state Oil Brands and/or viscosities

Jus kiddin Guys
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #1552
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,274
Tires, oils, KLIM gear, and lights seem to cause the most conflict/discussions. There are some serious light physicist on here.

I just asked about mileage....But now that you mentioned it, that 10/50 Motorex Powercross 4T ester based JASCO uber oil is expensive. I want to eek out all the miles I can between changes.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #1553
whitehaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
DesertSurfer ,sold mate and I must admit I have never seen a bad report about them and I like the black also as it does not look bulky on the bike.
I am going into the outback in june (winter) with a few mates who are 990 ,dr 650 and 690 riders and they all have racks and bags and I am betting that the great basin will feature.
Those multiple straps on top of the GB look like they would hold a 4 litre fuel bladder securely which is a problem with the bladders.
Thanks for clearing up the room on the bike seat issues as I have not seen one on a bike here yet and was not sure.
whitehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #1554
AirDale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I bought a new to me 2007 SE from a fellow inmate a couple of months ago. I rode it home (ATL to DFW) and have been working on it ever since, can't wait to get it back on the road.

I decided to remove the sidestand safety switch and came up with a solution without using the aftermarket plug. I just cut the harness after the connector and wired the black and red wire together and left the blue wire with no termination. I soldered them together and shrink wrapped and taped the splice, plugged the connector back in and it works like it should. It saved me the $30 and the wait for the aftermarket plug.

I ordered the Dr Bean fuel pump PCB conversion as well. After following the directions carefully I tested the pump as directed and got no more than a cycle or two of the pump before it would stop working. After a few emails to Dr Bean where he assured me this was normal operation, I still was not convinced. I finally reassembled the bike completely, after the valve clearance check and carb rejetting, installed the tank and fuel lines and found I still had the same problem. It wasn't until I engaged the starter motor that the pump started pumping. I released the starter, waited for the pump to stop pumping and the bike started immediately on the second try. A quick ride around the neighborhood has revealed normal operation.

I just wanted to post my findings so that someone else doesn't second guess the operation of the pump after conversion. It appears on occasion the ECU might not call for the fuel until the starter motor is engaged, (possibly due to the carb disassembly and battery disconnect) causing the pump to appear to be inoperative.

Thanks, Dr Bean for all of your help and a great product. It gives me great piece of mind knowing that the points are no longer wearing out, my points looked pretty bad after 14k on the ODO.
AirDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #1555
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDale View Post
I ordered the Dr Bean fuel pump PCB conversion as well. After following the directions carefully I tested the pump as directed and got no more than a cycle or two of the pump before it would stop working. After a few emails to Dr Bean where he assured me this was normal operation, I still was not convinced. I finally reassembled the bike completely, after the valve clearance check and carb rejetting, installed the tank and fuel lines and found I still had the same problem. It wasn't until I engaged the starter motor that the pump started pumping. I released the starter, waited for the pump to stop pumping and the bike started immediately on the second try. A quick ride around the neighborhood has revealed normal operation.
X2 did the same exact thing with the same result All is good!

Motorcyclist prayer: Oh lord if I die, please don't let my wife sell my bikes for what I told her they cost.
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #1556
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 294
'09 950SE Erzberg

I just bought an '09 950 erzberg with only 700 miles! I'm very excited. The bike is totally stock. What is the minimum that you folks would do to the bike to protect it and me. I don't want to screw this up!!!!. I am not a mechanic and am also searching for a new tech in the Seattle area. Hopefully north of Seattle. I don't ride and camp. Day rides, with a light wolf man bag on a rear rack. I ride a lot off road. I intend on riding this bike mostly off pavement to the best of my abilities. I have other bikes for street and hard, technical single track. My main reasons for posting are 1) do the minimum 2) do no harm 3) ask for your vast wisdom. Thank you all in advance! I really appreciate all of your opinions.
'09 KTM 530 EXC (610 big bore kit)
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #1557
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,189
Minimum?

Put gas in it and ride it like you stole it.

-dod
Old 12-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #1558
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaheshe View Post
I just bought an '09 950 erzberg with only 700 miles! I'm very excited. The bike is totally stock. What is the minimum that you folks would do to the bike to protect it and me. I don't want to screw this up!!!!. I am not a mechanic and am also searching for a new tech in the Seattle area. Hopefully north of Seattle. I don't ride and camp. Day rides, with a light wolf man bag on a rear rack. I ride a lot off road. I intend on riding this bike mostly off pavement to the best of my abilities. I have other bikes for street and hard, technical single track. My main reasons for posting are 1) do the minimum 2) do no harm 3) ask for your vast wisdom. Thank you all in advance! I really appreciate all of your opinions.
Side stand bracket,skid plate, Dr Bean FP kit,Then ride
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #1559
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 826
kickstand relocator

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #1560
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 826
I'm amazed how these bikes still keep showing up with loooowww miles on them. I picked mine up 2 years ago with 625 miles, farkled.

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote