User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #166
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,847
+ 1 for Brown Dog,always works for me

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #167
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd
+ 1 for Brown Dog,always works for me
mickd,

You should never...EVER...agree with Brown Dog. He is a North Georgia chicken farmer who, obviously, still takes pictures with a Polaroid...Did you see his radiator bushing pic.?

All kidding aside, thanks Brown Dog.

Your "trick" (almost completely) kept the axle block from spinning. It still spun a little...but mostly 'cause I was looking. U da' man...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #168
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,927
Welcome Guys
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #169
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Hi Guys, so the deposit is down and I'm picking her up next Saturday - I'm like a kid on Christmas eve

I've tried searching this thread, so if these have been covered, apologies (and can you let me know how to search properly - it keeps coming up with "use google"?)

1) So what centre stand fits the SE? I guess it's one of the old Adv "S" ones, but does anyone know for certain? And if so do they come as a kit, or do I need to get springs etc separately? Oh, and please tell me I don't need to make some spacers or anything!

2) Head Light switch. It looks like it should be able to turn both the head light and "high beam" off, but it always leaves the head light one. Is there a mod, or different switch gear available to turn them both off?

3) Screens. When I autoroute back up through France from the Pyrenees most years, it's ~800 miles door to door, so need something. I get it's not going to be Goldwing quiet, but what's the screen of choice (available in UK/Europe)? And does it just screw on or do I need to drill holes in my new baby?

4) Probably going to get a Safari tank once the financial whip lash of the initial purchase has passed I read some where that people had to buy new O rings to seal them. Were they unlucky, or do I need to source some first? If so any idea on the spec I'm after?

I'm sure there will be loads of questions when she arrives - so I'll prepare myself to be banned in due course.....

cheers

Markie
Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #170
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales
Hi Guys, so the deposit is down and I'm picking her up next Saturday - I'm like a kid on Christmas eve

I've tried searching this thread, so if these have been covered, apologies (and can you let me know how to search properly - it keeps coming up with "use google"?)

1) So what centre stand fits the SE? I guess it's one of the old Adv "S" ones, but does anyone know for certain? And if so do they come as a kit, or do I need to get springs etc separately? Oh, and please tell me I don't need to make some spacers or anything!

2) Head Light switch. It looks like it should be able to turn both the head light and "high beam" off, but it always leaves the head light one. Is there a mod, or different switch gear available to turn them both off?

3) Screens. When I autoroute back up through France from the Pyrenees most years, it's ~800 miles door to door, so need something. I get it's not going to be Goldwing quiet, but what's the screen of choice (available in UK/Europe)? And does it just screw on or do I need to drill holes in my new baby?

4) Probably going to get a Safari tank once the financial whip lash of the initial purchase has passed I read some where that people had to buy new O rings to seal them. Were they unlucky, or do I need to source some first? If so any idea on the spec I'm after?

I'm sure there will be loads of questions when she arrives - so I'll prepare myself to be banned in due course.....

cheers

Markie
1) Yes, its one of the tall Adv ones. 2003-2004 and then 2007 onwards. (not 2005-2006, theyre shorter). There is no kit, but some vendors have put one together (e.g. http://www.ktmtwins.com/950superendu...03022044.html). You can look up the fiche and buy all the parts seperately, or wait for them to come up on ebay/forums....

2) which headlight switch is it? (pic?). If its the later model SE's then you probably wont be able to turn the light off. EU standards for you...
You can probably get an older model 950 Adv switch and swap plugs over...
Update: To clarify, later model SE's in the UK had adv-style switches, whereas earlier models had EXC-style switches. Which have you got?

3) You will find it amazingly quiet with no screen at all. 10x quieter than the Adv. You will get a bit more wind pressure on your chest - and one of the screens available might help with that - depends how tall you are. Ive found that if I move my luggage fwd a bit, I can lean slightly against that and I dont have to worry about the wind at all.

4) Consider an AdvTank. Gives you the same fuel range as the Adv, but without adding weight at the front. Cant beat the safari for range though...

mookymoo screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 03:23 AM
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #171
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:

3) Screens.

4) Probably going to get a Safari tank once the financial whip lash of the initial purchase has passed I read some where that people had to buy new O rings to seal them. Were they unlucky, or do I need to source some first? If so any idea on the spec I'm after?Markie
Hi Markie,

a few quickies:

2) You can easily disassemble it and file down the little plastic tip which prevents it from turning lights off, no probs. You just need to pry up the little "riveted" fastening holes and take it apart. This should also be a service point since the kill switch usually stops working due to dirt getting into the switch. If the kill switch stops clicking, that's what's wrong.

3) We can help you with this...

4) I'm also a fan of the AdvTank since it doesn't change the characteristics of the SE even at full tank. Plus Ned is a great guy to deal with! But like they said, can't beat the Safari for long range missions.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:39 AM   #172
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,887
Safari tank and windscreen questions...

I've got an 07 SE with around 12K on her and have both the Safari tank and a 690E touring screen. Very happy with both.

The Safari tank is perfect for my riding. My low fuel light comes on between 240 and 260 miles, depending on how I'm riding. And after that I've got another 1.5 gallons or so and have around 40-50 miles to find gas. About the weight... I can always choose not to fill it to the top if I want. With the stock tank, I cannot choose to add another 4+ gallons.

Windscreen (from side):

Windscreen (from front):

The 690E screen requires drilling four holes into the headlight mask on the SE and only protrudes about 4-5" above the top of the mask. That said, for me (I'm 6'1") it eliminates the wind blast from my chest completely while retaining the clean air (no buffeting) around my helmet. I like it!

My 2¢
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #173
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Mooky; David, GSBS

Thanks Guys.

1) $350 for a centre stand seems a bit rich. but at least there is an option. May have to be a Chrstmas present for her. (and keep an eye on e-bay)
2) I think it's the exc type rather than one like my Adv (more of a rocker switch), so looks like a bit of fiddling and filing should be able to acheive it - I like no cost improvements
3) David, had a look at your web site but couldn't find a screen - do you have a direct link? I'll wait until I get it Sat before ordering (just in case something goes awry, but do want one). Or I'l get thee 690e touring screen.
4) Optons, options!! 240 miles before the light? I think my rear end will need a petrol stop before then, but at least it'll be my mate panicing for fuel out in the boonis not me.....

cheers

Markie
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #174
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I modified my EXC-style switch with only using brutal force (a thumb ) on switch (push switch to right), I didn't open it (nor removed from handlebars) at all. And when this switch is not moving freely anymore, WD40 helps you out. Still good after 2 years and 25000km!
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #175
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Quote:
Mooky; David, GSBS

Thanks Guys.

1) $350 for a centre stand seems a bit rich. but at least there is an option. May have to be a Chrstmas present for her. (and keep an eye on e-bay)
2) I think it's the exc type rather than one like my Adv (more of a rocker switch), so looks like a bit of fiddling and filing should be able to acheive it - I like no cost improvements
3) David, had a look at your web site but couldn't find a screen - do you have a direct link? I'll wait until I get it Sat before ordering (just in case something goes awry, but do want one). Or I'l get thee 690e touring screen.
4) Optons, options!! 240 miles before the light? I think my rear end will need a petrol stop before then, but at least it'll be my mate panicing for fuel out in the boonis not me.....

cheers

Markie
Did I meet you late last year? Did you have a car accident in Poland - limping about?

1) Keep an eye on ebay. Get a regular centre-stand & get a welder to lengthen it. Should cost you 20 to lengthen it & another 20 to get it powder-coated again.
2) Right. Follow David's advice (I thought you had the adv-style switches)
3) He sells a rally nav tower + screen, etc. Put some miles on it without a screen first. To be honest, I reckon its better without. You might find the same after a while.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #176
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
Did I meet you late last year? Did you have a car accident in Poland - limping about?
Oddly I was oiut there (for work), but haven't been invovled in a crash. Back in Nov to see a mate who lives out there as well, and now worred to get in his car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
1) Keep an eye on ebay. Get a regular centre-stand & get a welder to lengthen it. Should cost you 20 to lengthen it & another 20 to get it powder-coated again.
2) Right. Follow David's advice (I thought you had the adv-style switches)
3) He sells a rally nav tower + screen, etc. Put some miles on it without a screen first. To be honest, I reckon its better without. You might find the same after a while.
Good idea on getting a normal one lengthened - hadn't thought about that.
I was "sort of" planning on riding for a while without a screen - will put a couple of huindred oin next w/e anyway, so will at least give an impression.

cheers

Markie
Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #177
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randel
I modified my EXC-style switch with only using brutal force (a thumb ) on switch (push switch to right), I didn't open it (nor removed from handlebars) at all. And when this switch is not moving freely anymore, WD40 helps you out. Still good after 2 years and 25000km!
Not sure I'll be that brave with my new baby - but we'll see

cheers

Markie
Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #178
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Quote:
Oddly I was oiut there (for work), but haven't been invovled in a crash. Back in Nov to see a mate who lives out there as well, and now worred to get in his car!
Must have been another Mark.
Yeah, be careful. Combination of modern cars and shit roads... not so great.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #179
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Good idea on getting a normal one lengthened - hadn't thought about that.
Markie
OR, purchase the Gold one from the KTM dealer Tool Kit [most lc8 dealers dont use them] . . .
It's the longer one for the SE.

I give $100 for mine & bought the hardware for $60
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #180
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel
You don't want to be doing this, you will have a piece of plastic roaming around where there is not much space and lots of thin soldered wires..

Quote:

Well, we don't really sell a screen, rather a complete Adv/Rallye kit for the SE for those who want the versatility of the Adv as well as the hooligan characteristics of the SE. Only adds about 3kg. Here´s a pic of my bike from the last outing, a 10h night ride from 7pm-5am. Great fun!

And remember that the centre stand is very heavy! I wouldn't want one on my bike!
Attached Images