Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #226
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
...I know my SE came with two pre-wired accessory leads behind the headlight mask - one that is always hot (which I wired my GPS power cord into) and the other that is keyed with the ignition switch.

Anyone know if the keyed lead is fused and if so what amp fuse? I need to put an outlet in for my electric vest now that cold weather is coming on.

Thanks!

wouldn't the keyed wire (add a 1amp fuse in line) be better so not to worry about it being left on to drain the battery ?
hot wire (add fuse) for the vest with a toggle switch.
MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 10-22-2010 at 04:29 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #227
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Question Re: Stock Silencers

stock silencers ?

has anyone gutted there's & added a akropovic core or similar to free it up like a performance one.
retaining the OE outer would keep the strength for falls etc.

MY07 950 SER
Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #228
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
...I know my SE came with two pre-wired accessory leads behind the headlight mask - one that is always hot (which I wired my GPS power cord into) and the other that is keyed with the ignition switch.

Anyone know if the keyed lead is fused and if so what amp fuse? I need to put an outlet in for my electric vest now that cold weather is coming on.

Thanks!
I can't remember if the keyed one is fused or not; but I used that one for my grips. Too easy to forget to turn those off.

I wired my vest hookup straight to the battery, because I have to unplug it to get off the bike, anyway.

I've always had my GPS wired unswitched, because they really don't like their power being suddenly cut. Better to let them go through their shutdown cycle.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #229
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
I can't remember if the keyed one is fused or not; but I used that one for my grips. Too easy to forget to turn those off.

I wired my vest hookup straight to the battery, because I have to unplug it to get off the bike, anyway.

I've always had my GPS wired unswitched, because they really don't like their power being suddenly cut. Better to let them go through their shutdown cycle.
They are both fused, ACC1 is always hot, ACC2 is hot when key is on. Both fuse locations are under seat, bank of fuses are on the left side of the underseat pan and are in the plastic topped box of electronics located nearest to the rear of the underseat pan.

I seem to recall that they are 10 amps each, although I am not positive??,

Just take the seat off and look, the fuse box is labled.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #230
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,862
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper
They are both fused, ACC1 is always hot, ACC2 is hot when key is on. Both fuse locations are under seat, bank of fuses are on the left side of the underseat pan and are in the plastic topped box of electronics located nearest to the rear of the underseat pan.

I seem to recall that they are 10 amps each, although I am not positive??,

Just take the seat off and look, the fuse box is labled.
I had robbed the BMW-sized outlet off my totaled Dakar (fits the plug on my vest) and it had an inline fuse, so I just kept it in. I don't suppose there'd be a downside to having it fused twice as long as I know where to look if/when one blows.

I put the outlet just to the right of the speedo on the only real estate large enough to accomodate it on the"dashboard" if you could call it that.

The outlet has a spring-loaded cap and it looks like it was made to fit there. It's located just in front of the ignition switch and I think will work well with the coiled pigtail cord from my vest. On the Dakar for some reason it was upside down behind my left leg on the frame and was impossible to plug or unplug until stopped. Also, because the cord went over or beside my leg it was always switching off accidentally.

I'll test the new plug in the morning with the vest to make sure all is well.

Thanks again for the replies!
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #231
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,862
New issue - Front brake light not working...

This morning as I was leaving I checked the brake lights to make sure they were working and the front one was not working. I'd been on a couple of rides since actually testing to see if it was working. The rear brake light is working.

Since I'd just been in behind the headlight mask hooking up the accessory outlet, I first pulled it back off to check for loose connections and found none. I also checked the fuse for the brake lights, but since realized that both brake lights share the same fuse so it couldn't be that.

My only other thought was that I could've stretched one of the brake light wire leads while I had the headlight mask off. Or, the front brake light switch has gone bad, but I've never seen one of these go bad on other bikes.

Any thoughts?
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #232
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
The connector for the Tripmaster switch are different for the Adv and for the SE. IIRC, you need a dirt bike (EXC, etc) Tripmaster switch for the SE.
Or cut off the connectors and use a molex connector or spade lugs or whatever... That's what I did.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #233
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Hi

so I've had my 08 SE for a month now and with the Akro's on it "snap, crackles and pops" on the over run / when I shut the throttle. I see the first thing to do is set the needles to the 3rd clip (if not already done so[1]).

So to the question, can I get to the needles without having to remove the carbs completely? i.e whip the tank and air box off and just open up the tops, or is it a full carb out job? This will mean the difference between managing to do it his weekend, or having to put it off for a while longer (don't ask I have tons to do!!)

cheers

Markie

[1] if it's already on the 3rd - I'll be back for more help
Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #234
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales
Hi

so I've had my 08 SE for a month now and with the Akro's on it "snap, crackles and pops" on the over run / when I shut the throttle. I see the first thing to do is set the needles to the 3rd clip (if not already done so[1]).

So to the question, can I get to the needles without having to remove the carbs completely? i.e whip the tank and air box off and just open up the tops, or is it a full carb out job? This will mean the difference between managing to do it his weekend, or having to put it off for a while longer (don't ask I have tons to do!!)

cheers

Markie

[1] if it's already on the 3rd - I'll be back for more help

yes
MY07 950 SER
Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #235
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veetwo _tls
yes
excellent I'll have a go this Sunday.

cheers

Markie
Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #236
Sandman 950

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales
excellent I'll have a go this Sunday.

cheers

Markie
Hey Markie, mine's on 3rd clip(middle) and it's adjusted beautifully and it still pops and bangs, slightly less 'popping' with 2 1/2 turns out on mixture screw than at 2 though.

To fix permanently is simple, just don't slow down!!!
Sandman 950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #237
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,179
Limited space...

markie,

I tell you what...Brett must have fingers that are shaped like hooks and picks. I have little girly hands, and still couldn't do shit in that airbox.

After (finally) getting frustrated enough, I just took everything out...including the damn airbox!

I don't mind braggin'...My girl has a tight box.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 10:22 AM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #238
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman 950
Hey Markie, mine's on 3rd clip(middle) and it's adjusted beautifully and it still pops and bangs, slightly less 'popping' with 2 1/2 turns out on mixture screw than at 2 though.
Is this the general experience of the riders here, 3rd position and 2.5 turns out? And for a Carb beginner, where's the mixture screw? And I'll always have a bit of snap, crackle and pop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman 950
To fix permanently is simple, just don't slow down!!!
heh he - like it.

cheers

Markie
Old 11-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #239
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
I tell you what...Brett must have fingers that are shaped like hooks and picks. I have little girly hands, and still couldn't do shit in that airbox.

After (finally) getting frustrated enough, I just took everything out...including the damn airbox!
Humm well as I don't need the bike during the week next week, I'll try it without removing the carbs, and if it needs doing I guess I'll have to abandon her for the following weekend

Quote:
I don't mind braggin'...My girl has a tight box. .
"This post is worthless without pics"

cheers

MArkie
Old 11-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #240
SignXman
If nothing else, I tried.

Oddometer: 194
Quote:

I don't mind braggin'...My girl has a tight box.

We have a winner, "post of the week"

www.signXman.com

current wheels - KTM950R SE (grinfest)
SignXman is offline   Reply With Quote