Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #331
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,129
Has anyone here run an adventure rear wheel on there SE, and if so what difference did it make if any to the bike. Was or am just looking at way's to run a little more life from the rear tire on long trips without sacrificing the fun factor. Keep hearing stories of people getting 5-6000 klm's from the rear on adventures but cannot get even close to that sort of figure.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #332
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
Has anyone here run an adventure rear wheel on there SE, and if so what difference did it make if any to the bike. Was or am just looking at way's to run a little more life from the rear tire on long trips without sacrificing the fun factor. Keep hearing stories of people getting 5-6000 klm's from the rear on adventures but cannot get even close to that sort of figure.

BrownDog has and he is very happy about it, but has lost some offroad pleasure.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 AM   #333
poppy
Slow and Steady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post

Thanks mousitsas, i shall have a poke around and see if i can find a thread or scribings from browndog somewhere.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #334
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Bob,

What's happenin', man? I hadn't seen you around in awhile.

I hadn't installed a Safari...yet. But, nonetheless, I found the problem.

When I was trying to get the reservoir cap back into place, I pulled the hose ever-so-slightly out of the top of it, thereby (rather quickly) emptying the reservoir.

Don't you just adore KTM? On top of that, have you ever tried to pour fluid into the radiator or oil reservoirs? The next Austrian engineer I meet...I'm gonna' kick him in the hoo-nanny.

As far as letting any strangers around my bike...All I did was let him pour the 50/50, while I held a funnel. Plus, there is no stranger out there who could do more damage to my bike than me.

Take care, and thanks...

Glad to hear your coolant issue wasnt too hard to troubleshoot,

You just gotta love the riding gods when they throw out the easy ones for you to rectify.

Dont hate on the Austrian Engineers, they probalbly designed the difficulty into the fluid refilling just for a laugh. NowAs long as they keep offering up bikes that make us feel as good as these bikes make us feel, i say screw it!

Hell, I dont even mind finding me a long- necked, skinny funnel for the job,,,let em have their fun

Ive been around, just flyin low and soaking it all up

Friggen amazing riding weather around here lately, I should buy Dunlop stock the way I am going through tires,,,,

pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #335
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
True Statement
The stock 2.5" rim width handles much better off road.
This is my 4" wide ADVenture rim laced to my Stock SE Hub:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639317

Brown Dog screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 06:39 PM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #336
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Tire life is so subjective, I just barely got 6000kms out of the all mighty Mefo.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #337
poppy
Slow and Steady

Thanks Brown Dog, not so much concerned about the handing unless it changes to an absolute pig. Just more interested in tyre life on long trips.

Looking at doing a trip late mid year and would like to try and do it without carrying a spare tyre.

G'day triplenckel, i agree, but anywhere from 2-3.5k is along way from 6k. I think the throttle used with some control and a wider rim its obviously achievable. I dont mind blasting tyres on day or weekend rides, but just trying to carry less crap on longer trips and maybe use a bit more of what i pay for.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #338
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Quote:
Thanks Brown Dog, not so much concerned about the handing unless it changes to an absolute pig. Just more interested in tyre life on long trips.

Looking at doing a trip late mid year and would like to try and do it without carrying a spare tyre.

G'day triplenckel, i agree, but anywhere from 2-3.5k is along way from 6k. I think the throttle used with some control and a wider rim its obviously achievable. I dont mind blasting tyres on day or weekend rides, but just trying to carry less crap on longer trips and maybe use a bit more of what i pay for.
The 140/80 scorpion A/T (same tyre as stock 990 but not 150 width) lasts a long time on the SE. The last one on mine did 6k miles with more life left, in spirited road riding. The front was barely visibly used. On the road I am running 36psi front and back.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #339
bruceca2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
My son and I did a trip on identical SE's last summer. His bike had an Adventure rear wheel and mine had a stock SE rear wheel. Both bikes had new 908 front and rear tires to start the ride. Tires were shot after 2500 kilometers (1550 miles) front and rear. Front tires cupped badly and rear tires were just worn out. Conditions were 90 plus degrees Farenheit, 75 percent off-road and very high speeds on the tarmac. I use to get double that mileage with my 950 Adventure. If you want to own an SE, get used to buying tires!!! It's worth it, very therapeutic

Bruce

bruceca2002 screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 11:26 AM
bruceca2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #340
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Tire life is so subjective, I just barely got 6000kms out of the all mighty Mefo.
Dude! I'd be well chuffed about that! We usually change tires after 600km... (purely offroad though)
In Morocco we managed to squeeze 1200km out of a Desert tire while trying to be very smooth.

On this bike the tire account is as big as the everything-else-account..

(not my intent to make this thread into a penis-measuring contest, just stating the obvious; the SE is all about fun and it's not a piggy-bank)
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #341
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
Dude! I'd be well chuffed about that! We usually change tires after 600km... (purely offroad though)
In Morocco we managed to squeeze 1200km out of a Desert tire while trying to be very smooth.

On this bike the tire account is as big as the everything-else-account..

(not my intent to make this thread into a penis-measuring contest, just stating the obvious; the SE is all about fun and it's not a piggy-bank)
I hear ya, my comparison was just in regards to the guys claiming 7-8000 miles out of the same tire. You run short FIM knobs over there right? I tried one once since it was a deal, it was toast, right worn out by 800km! If you put on any miles with an SE you get pretty good at swapping rubber!

PG007
Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #342
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
I hear ya, my comparison was just in regards to the guys claiming 7-8000 miles out of the same tire. You run short FIM knobs over there right? I tried one once since it was a deal, it was toast, right worn out by 800km! If you put on any miles with an SE you get pretty good at swapping rubber!
]

FIM knobs, hell no! My favorite for all-round riding is Maxxis IT. Haha, yes, owning an SE trains the tireswopping skills...

But it's damn near impossible to make comparisons between riders with regards to tire wear. And between continents, nah, won't go there...
Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #343
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
]

FIM knobs, hell no! My favorite for all-round riding is Maxxis IT. Haha, yes, owning an SE trains the tireswopping skills...

But it's damn near impossible to make comparisons between riders with regards to tire wear. And between continents, nah, won't go there...
I wondered how an IT would be on a big bike, it was my fav on the 525.

PG007
Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #344
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales View Post
Mooky

I undid the ones inside the air box that you can get to through the RHS triangle cover.

Can you give me a hiint at to what the fuel lines look like? Are they the two small ones that could slide out without a clamp on the top RHS of the air box?

I love this forum (and Mooky but not in that way!) - I reckon I'm going to get his without haveing to pay a dealer. Got Friday free so if not before then, I'm slotting myself sime time then!

cheers

Markie
IIRC, both are accessible through the RHS triangle cover (it might depend how the clamps are mounted though).

There is only 1 fuel line coming into the airbox.

Seriously, a pic of your airbox/carbs will make it much easier to spot what is what - and give us something concrete to talk about.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #345
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
IIRC, both are accessible through the RHS triangle cover (it might depend how the clamps are mounted though).

There is only 1 fuel line coming into the airbox.

Seriously, a pic of your airbox/carbs will make it much easier to spot what is what - and give us something concrete to talk about.
Fair enough - I'll try and find time to strip it down this weekend and get some pics (once #1 daughter has come back from sleep over with the camera!!).

cheers

Markie