Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #721
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc9R View Post
So if I do not crank down my headlight adjustment bolt, the headlight beam pattern does not point at the road in front of the bike. In order to get mine down, and to a respectable beam pattern, I had to crank it down so far, that the bottom of the headlight bucket touches the fender....

Same for all of you?

If not, suggestions?

Thanks,
--Ross
Dumb question but would this be suspension related? Is the rear sagging enough that the attitude of the bike is so far off that the headlight is needing adjustment to the limit? You know like when you throw a trailer on your half ton truck the attitude of the truck points the lights higher than it does un-laden?

Second question not related to the headlight stuff. I have an ADV, looking at getting an SE. Any of you guys make the switch and specifically, I'm concerned about the bike having a higher CG due to the fuel location vs the ADV carrying down by the bottom end of the motor.

Any smaller guys notice this or is it a non issue when full?
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #722
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post

Second question not related to the headlight stuff. I have an ADV, looking at getting an SE. Any of you guys make the switch and specifically, I'm concerned about the bike having a higher CG due to the fuel location vs the ADV carrying down by the bottom end of the motor.

Having owned both and being short, I would say just the opposite. The SE feels much less top heavy and much lighter than the actual weight difference between the two. Although the height catches me out more often. Mainly when trying to turn it around on dead ends. I just don't have those power slides down yet.

I have never regretted making the switch from an ADV. to an SE. Well maybe my ass has on those long 12/13 hour days. I did have to install ADV. bars on mine. The stock SE bars while great for standing, hurt my shoulders too much after about 6 hours or so. Tried swapping the bars out twice just to make sure. Same outcome both times.
LoFlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #723
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
Having owned both and being short, I would say just the opposite. The SE feels much less top heavy and much lighter than the actual weight difference between the two. Although the height catches me out more often. Mainly when trying to turn it around on dead ends. I just don't have those power slides down yet.

I have never regretted making the switch from an ADV. to an SE. Well maybe my ass has on those long 12/13 hour days. I did have to install ADV. bars on mine. The stock SE bars while great for standing, hurt my shoulders too much after about 6 hours or so. Tried swapping the bars out twice just to make sure. Same outcome both times.
I've got a 29" inseam. My 04 ADV is manageable, I'm thinking the SE will need some mods as sagging it enough will probably impact geometry. On the other hand I think the ADV is so over-sprung on the rear its not even funny. At 155 lbs it doesn't even feel like it gives at all when I climb on. I'll never understand why KTM sent them (the 9x0 ADV) out so under-sprung up front and over sprung in the rear.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #724
Duc9R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Dumb question but would this be suspension related? Is the rear sagging enough that the attitude of the bike is so far off that the headlight is needing adjustment to the limit? You know like when you throw a trailer on your half ton truck the attitude of the truck points the lights higher than it does un-laden?

I thought the same initially, but adjusted the headlight while the bike was unloaded. We'll see what happens after I put a couple of rubber grommets under the headlight mounting bracket. TBD with pics on this subject.

Second discussion point...the SE over the ADV. So much better for handling from the SE. You would think that fuel, carried higher on the bike would make it feel top heavy, but, losing 60lbs between the two bikes, and you will be amazed how much better the SE handles over the ADV.

Gone: 2007 990 Adv, 2009 950 SE R Erzberg, 2005 999R, 2008 1098R, 2011 F1098S
Duc9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #725
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc9R View Post
Good idea.
I also got extra rubber bushings from KTM to see if physically moving the housing up will solve it. Pics to follow. $13 solution?

More soon
photos please

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #726
Duc9R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
photos please
Still waiting on parts...
Ordered from CycleHutt, but they are back ordered from KTM.
Soon my friend.

Gone: 2007 990 Adv, 2009 950 SE R Erzberg, 2005 999R, 2008 1098R, 2011 F1098S
Duc9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #727
Scout_WY
Pirate

Oddometer: 118
New Owner

Just picked up an '07. Read about 1/2 way through the thread. Good info. Great Bike! As with most new to the bike a couple questions.
1) The canistorectomy - if I understand correctly it is removing the twin cans going to one light weight can. Anything else other than potential rejetting. is that correct?
2) What is the deal with the "SAS"? I am assuming it is removal of the emission BS. What are the pro/cons? I am also assuming there is a thread out there detailing "how to". I would very much appreciate a link.

In closing I also wanted to be a contributor. I have both an EXC and the SE. The EXC I have for short to mid range rides, 200 miles. I have trouble with my hands going to sleep. With that I set the EXC, and soon to be the SE, with a throttle lock/cruise control. I use the Universal Vista cruise control. But hated the mounting system. The cool thing about the ktoom's is the front brake handle bar clamps. I throw everything away but the actual unit for the twist grip and make my own mount with 1/4" aluminum channel. I think it make a very clean system FWIW.

NRA life
Scout_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #728
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,929
I saw a KTM 950 SE in Ophir Colorado yesterday.
Was it any of you ??
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #729
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
part number help

So my headlight dips the wrong way for the UK, and I have seen one on e-bay that would fit but not sure if the part number is right. Asked the seller and the only part number he can find is 320184.

From the parts fiche the part numbers seem to be:

58614001000 HEAD LIGHT RIGHT TR. 05
58614001100 HEAD LIGHT LEFT TR. 05

anyone know if I can translate the 320184 number into anything or is that perhaps the rear plastic part? Clearly I'm after a left one.

cheers

Markie
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #730
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:

The fuel is carried on the side of the bike (similar to the ADV). Not much fuel on top (see below). The SE feels 60 lbs. lighter to me. The front wheel is much lighter . . . a quick twist of the throttle in 2nd lofts the front wheel at will.

I'm 5'11" and mainly ride Forrest Service roads. Therefore, I went to 19" front/ 17" rear wheels and backed off the rear spring tension, and dropped the front 1" in the triple clamps. The bike handles great w/out any head shake. It only takes a few minutes to throw on the 21" front for trail riding. The 17" rear is fine with the 21" front.

Here is a link for SAS/Canister Removal (SMR) which is similar to the SER:
http://home.comcast.net/~garrysimmons/ktm/SAS-Canister-Removal.htm

I disconnected and plugged the SAS valve on my SE (Bottom of Air Box):

2014 DL650A for the "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 10:58 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #731
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_WY View Post
...1) The canistorectomy - if I understand correctly it is removing the twin cans going to one light weight can. Anything else other than potential rejetting. is that correct?
2) What is the deal with the "SAS"? I am assuming it is removal of the emission BS. What are the pro/cons? I am also assuming there is a thread out there detailing "how to". I would very much appreciate a link...

Scout,

I was strolling through the thread, and noticed that nobody addressed your questions...Orange snobs, the lot of 'em.

Anyhow, congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the insanity. To address your questions...

1. The canisterectomy has to do with the removal of the charcoal EVAP canister (a part of the emissions system). What you were thinking of is the 2-into-1 exhaust (I believe).

2. The "SAS" is not, in this case, a British Commando group. It is the Supplemental Air System, and is, again, part of the emissions system (You assumed correct.)

My best (and humble) recommendation, to you, is to go here...

http://www.ktm950.info/

...and start reading. The answers, to most of your questions, should be in there. And, if you should need more help, beyond your reading, you are in luck...the guys (from the OC) are a great bunch.

Even if you don't need to know everything, the "H.O.W." (as most know it) is a wealth...WEALTH...of knowledge.

If you are mechanically-inclined, the HOW will help you work wonders with the LC-8 platform. If you are not mechanically-inclined (like me), the HOW will help you to better-understand some of the things you will read in this forum (The OC). Hell, just the pics have helped me to disassemble, and (more importantly) correctly re-assemble, my steed...several times (unfortunately).

So, again, welcome! Now, get to reading...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #732
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
So the Adv guys can add a second fan on their radiator. The SE already has 2 fans, but they are smaller than the Adv fans. Anyone tried to replace the small SE fans with larger Adv fans to increase cooling performance, or are they just large to fit in there?
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #733
Scout_WY
Pirate

Oddometer: 118
Wow!

1st, thank Warrior. Yea I'm very mechanically incline and the link will be very helpful. Looks like a lot of good info.

2nd, anybody have a shop manual for an '07 they would be willing to share?

3rd, WOW! got to ride the beast this last weekend. Put about 400 miles on it going out to a rig and back a couple of times. My goal was to make/but a long distance dual sport to take from WY to AK and Mexico. But wanted more off road and something with some nuts under the seat. I found it! It's nothing to run 60-70 on county roads! It's gonna be fun on the old girl.

Oh yea, BTW work wasn't to bad either. Got the opportunity to participate in raising the floor and derrick of our largest drilling rig. It's the largest land rig in North America. They had me out filming the process. Got the opportunity to film raising the derrick from the floor. That was almost as good as a rush as the 950. Here is a pic of both before the derrick went up.

NRA life
Scout_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #734
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
FYI...Airtex E8016S fuel pump

At almost 21K miles the stock fuel pump on my 2007 SE crapped out last weekend. I'd already bought this Airtex solid state pump on the advice of other folks who've been using them for over 3 years without issues. I paid around $40 shipped from Amazon.

This pump is also used on older Volvos, Surbarus, VWs, etc. and so is available at auto parts stores all over as well.

Being that the "in" and "out" outlets on this pump are at each end rather than on one end as the stock pump, it requires a bit of plumbing. It's also a tight fit for the SE. I made this sketch to take with me to buy the parts. I used all brass plumbing so it was a little pricey, over $20, and I also replaced all the squeeze-type hose clips with stainless screw-type radiator clamps to make any future maintenance less unpleasant.

Conveniently, the new Airtex fit into the rubber mount from the stock pump. The main difference in the two was that the new pump is significantly longer, particularly with the included inline filter upstream of the fuel pump. It took a few times placing the tank on and off the bike and measuring and some creative hose routing to get it all sorted out, but I rode it about 100 miles yesterday and no leaks, no problems.

The only downside to the Airtex unit is that because it could have backflow with a full or nearly full tank due to gravity pressure, so when parking the bike overnight or more than an hour or two I now turn off the two petcocks. Inline check valves are available and would be an easy install to avoid this issue altogether.

In the photo below, you can see I ended up reversing the direction of the lower brass plumbing as shown in the sketch because the original pre-bent fuel line worked perfectly to connect it to the petcock going around the lower tank mount.

This shows the fuel pump and the lower plumbing from below, looking forward:

This view taken from the front shows the pre-bent line connecting the lower plumbing to the left-side petcock:
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #735
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,610
Mixing oil...

I got home from work, tonight, and found that the oil (on the SE) was a little low. If I had to take a guess, I'll probably have to add about 300ml's (hardly any) to get the level where I like it.

Anyhow, I'm outta' the Motorex PowerSynt. And, Cycle Gear (where I buy it) doesn't have one liter of it. Plus, it usually takes them about four days to get some in (special order). Well, I'm impatient, and don't feel like waiting.

I have some Castrol RS 4T (whatever the hell it's called).

Any problems topping-off with the Castrol?

They're both 10W50, and both full syn. I can't remember what the consensus was, on this. And, I posted here because I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I'll wait, if I have to...don't want to smoke-up the LC-8.

Thanks in advance...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 09-04-2011 at 11:13 PM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote