ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #931
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,473
Fandango works for me.

Also consider a Nomad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nomad-Rider-...r#ht_500wt_922
Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #932
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Fandango works for me.

Also consider a Nomad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nomad-Rider-...r#ht_500wt_922
I've been using the fandango for a couple years it works good and isn't too obtrusive when standing.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #933
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Thanks all - a mate has a Wolfman on his BMW so may try that for fit. bFailing that I'll take a look at the Fandango's.

cheers

Markie
Old 01-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #934
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Is a stock SE rev limited in any way?
Of course! I have had it bouncing off it, several times!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #935
Akita Man
Optional

Oddometer: 114
Se capability vs an adventure r

Quick question.
With the same tires and gearing how much better is a SE offroad than a long travel KTM Adventure R. How much less capable will it be on road?

My trips will rarely exceed 2-3 days. It would be a second bike to my triumph rocket.
I found one within 300 miles of my house. What is a good price for a clean 2008 stock with 8k miles?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #936
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 47,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita Man View Post
Quick question.
With the same tires and gearing how much better is a SE offroad than a long travel KTM Adventure R. How much less capable will it be on road?

My trips will rarely exceed 2-3 days. It would be a second bike to my triumph rocket.
I found one within 300 miles of my house. What is a good price for a clean 2008 stock with 8k miles?
What is the weight difference?
I owned a 05.5 Adventure and found it to be a great street bike, but off road it had a big bike "presence", if that makes sense. I found myself panic stopping a lot off road, that's a lot of bike to stop on gravel / dirt.
I have only put about 1200 miles on my SE so far, but it feels 100 pounds lighter off road, and way easier to manage.
On road, it has less wind protection and feels way lighter. Not unstable per se, but it likes to wag its til above about 90-95mph, which can be disconcerting. I should note I am running more off road biased tires on my SE than I did on my ADV (908 and 606 vs. Pirelli Scorpions).

As far as price, that's very subjective, and depends on many many factors. Dunno.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #937
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 47,260
Quick question:

Heated grips and Kaoko throttle lock: compatible with Cycra bark busters?
Highway DirtBikes setup?

I'd like to find a solution that will enable me to raise the bars about 1-2", run bark busters and add heated grips and a throttle lock...
Old 01-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #938
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Quick question.
It depends on skills, level of farkling, and riding style.

The adv-R will be better on road due to loading and fuel capacity, seat, wider rims, power (on newer bikes) and wind protection. But the SE can be farkled to match, bar the loading capacity.

The SE will ultimately be better offroad due to lighter weight and narrow rims, but the adv-R won't be far away. Out of the box the SE suspension is tuned to work if you go balls out off-road and that makes it an eccentric ride.

In conclusion, out of the box the adv-R is the giant dual-sporter, whereas the SE is the giant enduro. Post farkling, the differences can be narrowed down or exacerbated even more, depending on which direction you choose to spend money. I had the same question two years back and chose the SE because of looks, exclusivity and ease of maintenance (less plastics). Had I have the adv-R, I would have been equally happy, I guess. Statistically speaking, there are more people who bought the SE and decided they would be better off with an adv, than vice versa. These people were usually the ones who found the SE seat sky scraper high and eventually went out to buy the lower non-R adv model.

Good luck in your choice, sure thing is that they both are very satisfying machines to ride, despite of their respective differences.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #939
VTwins4me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
. Statistically speaking, there are more people who bought the SE and decided they would be better off with an adv, than vice versa.
Interesting statement, the source of this "statistical" data is?
VTwins4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #940
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTwins4me View Post
Meticulous sampling over the years, I'm currently preparing a paper to publish at 'Annalen den Statistik"

PS
Just a personal impression mate of what opinions I have read in various forums, local or not
Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #941
Quint Eastwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Cool2

Quote:
Quick question.

The SE is an awesome beast. I have never had an Adventure so my opinion is somewhat biased. The SE is a blast to ride on street and dirt. The lack of a windshield will beat you up on long high speed trips BUT I have read on here that the stock KTM 690 windshield fits nicely and changes the air flow. You probably should look for one that has a Safari tank, Neduro tank or other auxiliary gas tank option. The larger or aux tank is really important because not only do these bikes run like a rocket, they burn gas like one too.

I paid 8500 for an 08 with 5k miles.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
. Statistically speaking, there are more people who bought the SE and decided they would be better off with an adv, than vice versa.

47.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot...
Quint Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #942
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Quick question.
With the same tires and gearing how much better is a SE offroad than a long travel KTM Adventure R.
Much - had a 990 Av now have a SE, and I find the SE easier off road. I have limited skills and the SE makes up for some of it!! It is tall though - I dropped it 2 (?) times last Sunday in horribly muddy conditions as my leg was 2-3" to short! A bit lower and I could have held it up. Both times were at zero mph.

Quote:
How much less capable will it be on road?
Grip / suspension etc - the same. Wind protection ADV is much better at high speeds regardless of any (small) screen you may put on the SE. My SE will do 80 mph all day with a small screen, but I wouldn't want to go faster than that without a bigger screen on it.

Quote:
Sorry no idea of US prices.

cheers

Markie
Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #943
Akita Man
Optional

Oddometer: 114
Se vs 990r

I read many complaints on the terrible buffeting caused by the stock screen on the ADV. Some try all sorts mods to prevent this. Most cut it down Having no screen on the SE eliminates this issue would it not?

Would you consider 8500 miles low miles in an SE. A Gold wing yes...SE?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #944
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,932
Quote:
I read many complaints on the terrible buffeting caused by the stock screen on the ADV. Some try all sorts mods to prevent this. Most cut it down Having no screen on the SE eliminates this issue would it not?

Would you consider 8500 miles low miles in an SE. A Gold wing yes...SE?
No buffeting issues with my SE... Equipped with the 690 Enduro "touring windscreen."

My screen is set to a height that deflects airflow to the level of my shoulders. Clean air around my Arai XD3 helment is no problem. On the interstate I'll typically run between 80-90 mph. And with Mefo or Heideneau tires the bike's not wiggling or drifting around at all at those speeds. Tires like a D606 or D908 would be a different story though.

I would consider 8,500 miles as low for an SE. Mine has almost 25K and I just replaced brake pads for the first time and the chain/sprockets all still look good (I do religiously keep them lubed with the Teflon stuff however).
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #945
VTwins4me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Just a personal impression mate of what opinions I have read in various forums, local or not
Exactly what I thought!

I swapped my 990S for a SE, because although I liked the Adventure the buffeting at higher speeds was killing me, tried screens, helmets etc, nothing resolved it. Also i never felt relaxed off road with the Adventure's heavy front end.

The SE is soooooo different off road. The balance front/rear is like a smaller enduro bike, so much more usable.
A pleasant surprise is how good the SE is on road. For backroads and Mway up to about 70/80 it is a blast.

For some reason the SE seat seems more comfortable than my Adv, which was a unexpected bonus!

To summarise, anyone considering swapping from a SE to an Adventure should seek counselling urgently!
VTwins4me is offline   Reply With Quote