User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #1441
ct_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
fuel light not working

For some reason my fuel light stopped working. I checked the connection at the front of the tank by the horn and it is solidly connected and isn't damaged. No fuses are blown.

Anything I should check for?

Leaving for a week long trip in a couple days and want to get this sorted as the fuel range is pretty terrible and I don't want to run out.
ct_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #1442
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Does anybody have a clue what can cause this?
I participated in two day-long motorcycle orienteering events during last month and both time had similar problems.
Bike runs just fine until suddenly it will not start anymore like battery has run out, relay only clicking or very slowly turning engine. After I got it started with the help from another bike, it runs fine again and I can start it like 15min after this has happened and no signs from weak battery.
Both times have been quite cold, +10...+15C and rainy, a lot of mud and water. Any hints, what can cause this problem? Weak electrical connection somewhere?
I use my bike for daily commuting and it runs fine again, no problems I am aware off, power is ok and fuel consumption also reasonable.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #1443
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
I participated in two day-long motorcycle orienteering events during last month and both time had similar problems.
Bike runs just fine until suddenly it will not start anymore like battery has run out, relay only clicking or very slowly turning engine. After I got it started with the help from another bike, it runs fine again and I can start it like 15min after this has happened and no signs from weak battery.
Both times have been quite cold, +10...+15C and rainy, a lot of mud and water. Any hints, what can cause this problem? Weak electrical connection somewhere?
I use my bike for daily commuting and it runs fine again, no problems I am aware off, power is ok and fuel consumption also reasonable.
Bad Stator.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #1444
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
So it only happens when the bike gets hot on trails? You stop wait for it to cool down / battery to recover and its ok?

So maybe Regulator / Rectifier getting hot / clogged up / breaking down??

Or a bad earth?
wilso122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #1445
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I haven't measured voltage yet, but while I use my bike daily, it's not low charging voltage (broken regulator) I guess.
Bike was at running temperature, not too hot (max 5 bars). It didn't start itself, I used wires to connect battery to another bike.
15minutes later it started itself without problems and is running fine after that. First time bike died when I started to brake on 3rd gear, second time was after I dropped bike while turning around (no speed, just lost my balance in slippery mud)
It's around +10C here and my bike sits outside all nights, no problems with starting in cold mornings, although I still have original battery (4,5 years, 46000km old).
I suspected bad connection somewhere in ignition circuit after ignition lock, but it happens so seldom, is it possible (twice within last month and 1000km)? Battery leads were tight, I have to check earth to frame yet.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #1446
TrentW
MMmmmm....

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales View Post
So is there any reason why I shouldn't drill it through with a 6mm drill and just stick a nut on the inside of the frame (although it might be a bit fiddly)? This way I could carry a spare nut, bolt and spacer in my tool bag and fix on the trial?

EDIT bolt stub now out, so just wondering whether to replace as-is or drill through and stick a nut on a longer bolt?
Probs a bit late, but I've drilled through and used a longer bolt exactly as you describe after having the same thing happen to me.

I also carry a spare nut, bolt and spacer for trail side repairs.
I used a nyloc nut on the inside of the frame so it won't come loose.

No problems so far, but typically haven't had to use the spare since I did the mod...
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #1447
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,910
950 SE canisterectomy & SAS removal

Im doing a buddys SE.

It's been so long since I did mine ... What are you guys doing with the 2 Extra carb vent hoses that come from the Brass 90 Degree Elbows on the carbs ??

These are the ones opposite from where the 10" & 11" vent hoses connects.

I read that their for venting the carbs in deep water crossings

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...terectomy.html

http://home.comcast.net/~garrysimmon...er-Removal.htm

Im thinking I capped mine off, rather than running the tee'd hose up thru the Snorkle .... but I dont remember

I left the aluminum insert in the bottom of airbox, used a short 6mm bolt, fender washer & nut instead of epoxying the hole up

Help or pic appreciated

Brown Dog screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 06:39 PM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #1448
Brown Dog

Found it :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423685

Plug em off

Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #1449
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

950SE dead battery!

Following a ride out on Saturday I went back to the bike last night, turned the key and absolutely nothing! No problems at all on Saturday. Got a car jump charger so put that on it and got the clocks to come up so the battery has completely and suddenly died.... Never had this on any bike I have owned in 20 odd years of riding... Any ideas why such a dramatic drain could happen?

Ordering up a new battery today...

Just a thought, what to people think of the shorai lithium battery, have heard some pretty mixed reports on them but interested in people running them on the 950SE? wet / cold weather in particular seeing as winter is here.

Cheers Wilso!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #1450
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post
Probs a bit late, but I've drilled through and used a longer bolt exactly as you describe after having the same thing happen to me.

I also carry a spare nut, bolt and spacer for trail side repairs.
I used a nyloc nut on the inside of the frame so it won't come loose.

No problems so far, but typically haven't had to use the spare since I did the mod...
Thanks h- good to know it worked OK. I ended up replacing "as-is" because with 4 years on an Adv and 2 years on the SE, I guessed it doesn't happen that much. If it goes again I'm drilling through!

cheers

Markie
Old 10-09-2012, 04:08 AM   #1451
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilso122 View Post
Following a ride out on Saturday I went back to the bike last night, turned the key and absolutely nothing! No problems at all on Saturday. Got a car jump charger so put that on it and got the clocks to come up so the battery has completely and suddenly died.... Never had this on any bike I have owned in 20 odd years of riding... Any ideas why such a dramatic drain could happen?

Ordering up a new battery today...

Just a thought, what to people think of the shorai lithium battery, have heard some pretty mixed reports on them but interested in people running them on the 950SE? wet / cold weather in particular seeing as winter is here.

Cheers Wilso!
It occurred to me too, a few months ago. Prior to that happening I could hear a hissing noise from the battery when turning the engine off. However, the very same battery is fine and dandy now after a few hours on the charger and meticulous topping up every few days when voltage drops below 12.75. It is the original yuasa battery and 3 years old.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #1452
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilso122 View Post
...what to people think of the shorai lithium battery
My Shorai worked for 12 months & DIED

I don't believe their "advertised" Ah & cca ratings !!!

The weight savings isn't worth it when it WONT LAST IMHO

Go with an Absorbed Glass Mat (agm) battery

Ive had Fantastic service from East Penn Deka for many years in a variety of applications
Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #1453
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
My Shorai worked for 12 months & DIED
I don't believe their "advertised" Ah & cca ratings !!!
The weight savings isn't worth it when it WONT LAST IMHO
Go with an Absorbed Glass Mat (agm) battery
Ive had Fantastic service from East Penn Deka for many years in a variety of applications
Good to know, the more I read about them the more I don't like them when they are dead they are dead (and with the consumption of the SE that might not be long!), don't seem great in cold and damp.

Deka are hard to find here and got a good price on a replacement yuasa.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #1454
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
+1

And Sam's mart recently started carrying the same battery at a much reduced price
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #1455
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,006
Anyone else have rust on their SE spokes?

How do I get rid of this?
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote