User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
tokyo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Your best used beast purchase - bang for the buck

As we wait for the mythical 350lb twin dirtbike to be introduced, I'd like to hear more about everyone's best bang-for-the-buck used beast purchase stories.

I'll start with my 2007 ninja 650. With 6k miles I bought it for $2k, thinking to make a ninja-ratbike. I took off the lower fairing and put on some Shinko 705's, and swapped the bars out for ATV bend ProTapers. The idea was to tackle a suspension swap someday..

I started riding it with just those changes, and since the price was low, so were expectations. It has turned out to be a great little sport-tourer/ gravel runner.

Here in Utah many mountain and desert valleys can be connected by dirt/gravel passes that are fairly tame. Half way up the canyon, the road is wonderful winding asphalt, that then turns dirt for a few miles of beautiful scenery. If you stick with it, the road turns to asphalt again on the other side of the mountain/desert. Along the dirt sections there are smaller trails and roads that split off. This bike has turned into a great surprise in that it handles the main dirt section great, and with care can take more of the little side roads then I had thought it would.

I even came out on a little known single track that is shared with MTN bikes and motorcycles that was smooth and winding through trees and over little wooden bridges with banking turns that was a blast. The looks on hikers and mtn bikers faces seeing a "bullet bike" winding through the trees was priceless.

Suspension still sucks, but it has been a great $2k purchase and has given me great bang-for-for-the-buck

Old 10-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
warriorcole
n00b sch00b

Oddometer: 1,026
In 2006 I purchases a 2002 955 Tiger for $2500. It had a rebuilt title but ran well. I kept it for a few years and still made $500 on the purchase.
warriorcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,658
10 years ago I paid $4500 for this:

Not a screaming deal but for the last 5 years I've been hoping to replace it with the 400 lb mystery twin and can't see another reason to let it go.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:33 AM   #4
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
Ditto

Bang for the Buck, I haven't been able to beat the GC for what I want out of a beast

Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 10-10-2014 at 06:33 AM
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Those Grand Canyons look tasty.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
tokyo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, they do!

I've never run across them before in my classifieds perusals.. I'll have to add them to the "check out" list..
Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo View Post
Yeah, they do!

I've never run across them before in my classifieds perusals.. I'll have to add them to the "check out" list..
There were only 200-300 Gran Canyons imported but they change hands fairly regularly. Check out the yahoo group.

BTW, mine has almost 75,000 kilometers on it now and, other than regular maintenance, it has needed a new voltage regulator, 2 clutch packs and 4 speedo cables.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 133
This is the day i picked up my CLEAN SV1000 for around $3k. Might not qualify as a screaming good deal, but man I love that bike. Still miss it.

2012 Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie
2003 Suzuki SV 1000
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
Dyn Blin
Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
This is the day i picked up my CLEAN SV1000 for around $3k. Might not qualify as a screaming good deal, but man I love that bike. Still miss it.
Oh man, I loved that "burnt copper" on my '03. It was time to pass my bike on, but I miss her, sore wrists, tired knees and all.
Dyn Blin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #10
evermore
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Yeah, they do!

There's one for sale on cl in Chicago for $3500, 7400 miles. Definitely looks interesting..
evermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #11
FishrCutB8
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn Blin View Post
Oh man, I loved that "burnt copper" on my '03. It was time to pass my bike on, but I miss her, sore wrists, tired knees and all.
You hit the nail on the head. Try putting a pillion on the back and those wrists get even worse, especially with the stopping. I like my Tiger 800, but there was just something about that engine.

...and I have never seen a prettier color (colour for our our international friends) on a bike...

2012 Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie
2003 Suzuki SV 1000
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #12
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I"m pretty happy with my 2005 Tiger 955 that I picked up last year for $3k. It's given me some issues, but it's one of the best all around bikes I've owned and got me into the big bike adventure scene. Now my wife wants a WeeStrom, life is good.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
tokyo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn Blin View Post
I felt the same about my Superhawk 996. That bike had character, but was brutal on the back, legs and wrists. With crappy MPG and a little tank the range felt like about 5 miles.

One of the hardest ones to see drive away though.. Between gas stations and chiropractor visits it was a noisy brash power wheelie riot. Weird that the transportation appliance production company Honda of today is the same one that brought us that bike of wildness and soul.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
todd900ss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Your best used beast purchase - bang for the buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post

Bang for the Buck, I haven't been able to beat the GC for what I want out of a beast

That one sure is nice. Never should have sold mine. I have tried to replace it, all have fallen short. The GC just hits the sweat spot for me.
If your ever think of selling PM me.

4 years ago I payed 3k for a 99 VFR800. It was spotless with a Penske shock, Traxxion Dynamics worked over forks and all the other popular VFR upgrades. Ran like a top and man those gear driven cams... Put a bunch of miles on and sold it for the same $.
Probably should have kept that one too.
todd900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
todd900ss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Weird that the transportation appliance production company Honda of today is the same one that brought us that bike of wildness and soul.

Well said. I keep waiting......but nothing
todd900ss is offline   Reply With Quote