ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
ommplease OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Super Tenere to Thumper? or is this a pipe dream?

I have had my S10 for a little over a year and have done a couple upgrades to make it more...me. I had about 1200 miles on it before I left for my first long trip with my S10 (Morrigan). I installed a SeatConcepts seat, water bottle holder, wired for heated gloves, 1L bottle holder for gas, GPS, 46L Givi Trekker topcase and 6" Rigid Industries combo flood/spot light. I then rode 4000 miles from VA to CO to Sturgis and back. I was doing about 700-800 miles a day at around 75-80 mph out west easily with a little less than 2 hours before sunset each day for 8 days and saw amazing views from Pikes Peak and oddities across the country. The bike was flawless, comfortable and I felt invincible on it until I ran out of gas on some back road in South Dakota. Luckily I brought extra gas and the 1 liter got me to the gas station 11 miles away. I love this bike but sometimes I feel it is a little piggy. I have about 11k miles on her now and she's still going strong. I have recently started riding my friend's crf150f for indoor mini moto. I then started reading the Thumpers forum threads and am finding myself thinking about cutting some weight and possibly getting a 650 (KLR) or less to replace her. I don't do any off roading and stay mainly on the blacktop. I do hope to do more dirt in the way future but not anytime soon.

My question is this. Is there any way I would be able to get my Tenere capabilities (gas), comfort, road manners and confidennce inspiring power from a 650 or less? Also is chain drive maintenance a lot worse than my current 6k oil changes and 24k valve adjustments? Yes, I could farkle the sh!t out of a TW200 (lol) but would it be highway capable? Any and all replies are welcome. Thank you advrider for your forums.
IBA#56715 Current ride: 2014 Yamaha S10
Motorcycles owned past 04 Ducati 748 Mono 96 Honda CBR600 F3, Kaw Vulcan 900, Tomos Moped (does this count?)
Dream ride Hawaii, Australia, Alaska
Other interests Collector of the old, drinks scotch
ommplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 319
I just got a S10 because my KLR is not the best out on the highway. Bavarians and dirt trails, it's in its element, but it struggles on the highway.
I do 1500-2000 mile oil changes on the KLR. Chain maintenance isn't that bad, but I'm looking forward to shaft drive.
The KLR is a piggy to. Still a 6gallon tank up high.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
wavygravy87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I've put 25,000 miles on my DR650 I bought new in 2011 (Yes I basically stole it, cause it was a leftover 2009 model!). It does good on the highway and I've been pretty happy with it. But I've had my S10 for a couple months now, and for road trips it is much much more comfortable. Not just the seat and ergos, but the handling and engine and wind management aspect too. Even the weight helps it be more relaxed at interstate speeds.

I think that if you went to a thumper, you'd be ecstatic with the change around town or riding dirt roads. But for anything else you'd really miss the S10. If you NEVER plug along on the interstate you'd be good with the swap. But any interstate runs of 100 miles or more you'd be tired of it. The Tenere has spoiled you on the highway, you just don't know it yet lol.

The maintenance of a chain is really no big deal, just spray some non-sticky lube on it once a week and tighten it when it gets floppy (which isn't often).

You just need to consider how you use your bike. The only way I'd sell my S10 for a thumper is if I never done long treks on the highways and interstates. But, I solved the same dilemma you are in by paying off my my DR650 and then buying the S10 to compliment it Everybody needs more than one bike anyways...

If you pass through Bama, gimme a shout and you can ride my ole DR650 for a while and see how you dig it. Interstate, dirt and all.

2009 Suzuki DR650
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere

wavygravy87 screwed with this post 04-16-2015 at 08:27 PM
wavygravy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
A guy a block away from me bought a new KLR650. I was always contemplating buying one, but over the years never did. He's a good guy and a newbe to motorcycles, and was raving about the KLR as it sat in my driveway with only 92 miles on it and wanted me to ride it. So I rode a mile or two, and all I can say is I am glad he likes it and doesn't know any better. I can't believe the difference in a Tenere vs a KLR. I'm glad I never bought one.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
A guy a block away from me bought a new KLR650. I was always contemplating buying one, but over the years never did. He's a good guy and a newbe to motorcycles, and was raving about the KLR as it sat in my driveway with only 92 miles on it and wanted me to ride it. So I rode a mile or two, and all I can say is I am glad he likes it and doesn't know any better. I can't believe the difference in a Tenere vs a KLR. I'm glad I never bought one.
The thing about a KLR is its a bike that if it falls over you just pick it up and ride off. I'd be upset if my S10 was on its side.

My KLR was a good bike to do the eastern sections of the TAT on all loaded up for camping and such. Not sure if I want to do that with my S10. The S10 will be great when I need to do a road trip and maybe do a bit of exploring when I get there. iMHO.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:07 AM   #6
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommplease View Post
I have had my S10 for a little over a year and have done a couple upgrades to make it more...me. I had about 1200 miles on it before I left for my first long trip with my S10 (Morrigan). I installed a SeatConcepts seat, water bottle holder, wired for heated gloves, 1L bottle holder for gas, GPS, 46L Givi Trekker topcase and 6" Rigid Industries combo flood/spot light. I then rode 4000 miles from VA to CO to Sturgis and back. I was doing about 700-800 miles a day at around 75-80 mph out west easily with a little less than 2 hours before sunset each day for 8 days and saw amazing views from Pikes Peak and oddities across the country. The bike was flawless, comfortable and I felt invincible on it until I ran out of gas on some back road in South Dakota. Luckily I brought extra gas and the 1 liter got me to the gas station 11 miles away. I love this bike but sometimes I feel it is a little piggy. I have about 11k miles on her now and she's still going strong. I have recently started riding my friend's crf150f for indoor mini moto. I then started reading the Thumpers forum threads and am finding myself thinking about cutting some weight and possibly getting a 650 (KLR) or less to replace her. I don't do any off roading and stay mainly on the blacktop. I do hope to do more dirt in the way future but not anytime soon.

My question is this. Is there any way I would be able to get my Tenere capabilities (gas), comfort, road manners and confidennce inspiring power from a 650 or less? Also is chain drive maintenance a lot worse than my current 6k oil changes and 24k valve adjustments? Yes, I could farkle the sh!t out of a TW200 (lol) but would it be highway capable? Any and all replies are welcome. Thank you advrider for your forums.
I don't think you will be happy with a single IMO. If any thumper will fit your needs it would be a Husky Strada or a BMW single. Those are the smoothest big bore singles out there but even they suck compared to something like a DL650 or a CB500X much less the Tenere. The Tenere is a great mile eater. good wind management, great seat,,,, least on my 14. I did 600 miles on the first day after getting Tenere changed engine and F.D. oil then went to Mexico and back to N. Ga. in four days. Couple of easy 1K days in that trip comfy as one can be in 40 degree temps while raining. No way any of the singles would match that.

But you say you don't really do much if any dirt and if that true,,,,, why not add the Honda CB500X to your list? It's a twin with around 50hp, comfy cruise around 80-85mph, fairly light at around 430-440lbs wet which damned close to the KLR which is a single with around 35hp and gets a bit vibey around 75mph. Also, they have roughly the same fuel range,,, just get to that range differently with the CB500X having a 4.5gal tank and getting around 60mpg. The CB500X has 17s front and rear but you stated that you rarely do dirt. If you do get back into it later, Rally Raid sells a kit that increases travel, improves damping and spring rate, ground clearance and includes a 19/17 spoked wheel combo for around 3K$. Yes, I know 3K$ is like half the price of the bike but even so, it turns the CB500X from basically a street bike into a derned good little adv bike.

I have a Tenere also and I ride two up a lot. If Honda doesn't come out with the rumored TA they have shown at various shows pretty soon,,,,, I'll be getting a used CB500X and buying that Rally Raid kit to use as my one up Adv./commuter/weekend play bike. Honda coulda really hit a home run with the little CB500X had they just added the extra travel and the a 19/17 wheel combo and charged a couple grand more for it over the other CB500 line.

As far as chain maintenance goes on a street bike, especially a sedately ridden, low powered street bike,,,, it's not too bad. My DL650 would get between 10-20K miles to a chain using good D.I.D. chains. I know that's a huge variation in chain life but that's the way it goes as riding style and conditions are the #1 variable in chain wear just as it is in tire life. When out touring on majority tarmac roads, the DL would easily do 20K+ miles on the chain/sprockets. On the other hand, play locally on a lot of off tarmac stuff with heavy handed throttle and braking and like I stated, 10-15K miles is the norm. I have no doubt a decently cared for chain of a CB500X might easily go 30K miles if ridden sedately on tarmac. Saying that, I got spoiled by shaft drive by my FJR and my old Venture and really prefer shaft drive on pretty much any touring bike be it a Adv or Sport Tourer.

The singles mentioned might comfortably go 5K mile between oil changes with a good syn. oil if you change the filter every 2.5K miles and add make up oil. Valve intervals for the BMW singles are around 10-12K miles if memory serves. I have no idea if the BMW singles actually need adjusting at those intervals but I'm hearing the Tenere is a lot like the FJR in that while Yamaha may advise 26K mile intervals, in practice they go much longer, easily twice or three times that before actually needing an adjustment. IMO, no motorcycle manufacturer is as reliable, trouble free and maintenance free as a Yamaha. The DL650 is reliable but it's chain drive sucks as I replaced four chain/sprocket sets on my 90K mile DL650. Add that up at around 200-250$ a set! My FJR had no replacement needed in 90K miles. I lubed the wheel splines every tire change. Lubed the shaft splines maybe 4-5 times and changed the FD oil 2-3 times during that 90K miles. Valve ajd. wasn't needed at 40K miles when a mechanic talked me into a free valve guide replacement courtesy of Ma Yamaha. At 60K I had them checked again with no adjustment needed. Damned perfect ass bikes,,, just change oil every 5K miles, change air filter when dirty and that's it!
Blue Skies Coming

Jud screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 01:46 AM
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:38 AM   #7
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
The DL 650 is about it, and that needs experience.

I mean I like my DL, but it has a steering damper, suspension mods and I'm O.K. on dirt roads, even when they get a bit nasty but it's no where near as nice as a 250cc dirt bike off road. I havn't gone for a larger bike because 'fast enough' and I need 'more fast' a lot less than I want 'less weight'.

Even there if I'm riding off road I make sure I'm lightly loaded as well. (Kyak dry bag strapped on the rack and pillion seat).

Where it does win is insane range, unlike most of the pigs off road the MPG actually goes up, I'd expect 500k's/tank cruising on dirt roads or sealed backroads at sane speeds and nasty dirt roads where speeds are lower around 600k's/tank looks possible. At 75-80mph (Which it will do) MPG will be about the same as the ST.

Chain life for me is upwards of 60,000k's (Home made chain oiler)

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:15 AM   #8
BSTARD
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 358
you need 2 bikes.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:20 AM   #9
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommplease View Post

First thing you will notice is reduced power when you want an over take fast.

Second is the thumpa will be lighter and thats an intersting point just there.

But after all that you'll still run out of fuel.

Me Well I have an 08 TDM and then bought a XT660r while still with the TDM and felt disapointed and after 4 years and only 8000km I came to the conclusion the TDM was better at everything but really really really long IBA rides and lets face it my short comings dictated any limitations...though doable easily on the TDM I traded the XT660R gladly for an older ST1300. 12 years old and Ive piled heaps of miles on it since. AND still have the TDM doing everything s well.

Thats my storey and to be honest I just cant beat the bliss of two OR more cylinders.

Just now Im sorting a deal to trade the ST1300 for a 2015 S10. And the TDM still rings my bells.

EDIT to this post...maybe you should look at the twins in the 800 to 900 cc range from a few manufacturers?

gateman screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 02:27 AM
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:06 AM   #10
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,764
imho the only single that comes close to slab-fit is F650, but on its best day, it comes off as a "Weestrom minus". KLR? no way Jose'
versys, FJ, even CBX, and compare them all to Wee2.
begrudgingly I give the cbx some respect because it connects with its riders in that strange, ill-defined way that make some motorcycles stick when all others fade - light, smallish yet big enough, superior fuel economy, dirt cheap though not dirtworthy, and apparently so far its proven to be fairly hardy. still can't escape comparing to wee2...
over years of hanging around these discussion and roadside conversations, many, many people go from heavier bikes to Wee/Wee2 and comment on how refreshing it is to 'shed that weight' - even though on paper you're not talking about a lot of 'shedding'... once again, the 'feel' and connect is what wins
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:13 AM   #11
Playsatan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstard View Post
you need 5 bikes.

efa
Old 04-17-2015, 05:32 AM   #12
juno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Have you considered a Tiger XCX? Or a used Sertao? Or even a X country?
That sounds like about the best compromise currently in my limited research.

Two bikes is better though. If you do a lot of road trips or two up and since you really like the Tenere you would never be happy with a thumper.

I would look for a good used DR already modded for more dirt performance as there are great deals out there and it would be more of a swing to the dirt side than a KLR but still useable for short road trips.

I am at the two end of the extremes, I can hop on the roadglide and ride to the Arctic circle tomorrow with no issues. It can handle packed dirt and packed gravel and eats up any tarmac like a road sofa.

I got a sweet deal on a low mile 08 690. Great off road as an enduro and plenty of hp for on road and passing. Enough grunt to start off in 2nd gear in sand if it's not buried.
I get about 120m off the stock tank which is fine as that is far enough for me as I feel I am riding a broomstick compared to the HD. Luckily I scored a used safari tank for half the new price and that gives me juat under 7 gallons to use if I tackle the wild west.
If I had not found that there were several DR's and an X challenge I would have picked up.
My best advice is keep the tenere and look for a good deal on a DR.
juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 AM   #13
BSTARD
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playsatan View Post
efa
lol

four is the magic numba
Old 04-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
ommplease OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTARD View Post
you need 2 bikes.
Thank you all for the replies and appreciate the insight to your personal experiences. Yes 2 or more bikes would be ideal and yes the S10 is a true mile eater. I have never sat on a thumper for more than 10 minutes at a time. Before getting the S10 I looked at the bmw r1200rt (mostly if not all road purpose for me), 1200gs, tiger xc both 800 and 1200, and the vstrom. I truely am spoiled by the s10. Imo and imo only, not to ruffle feathers but the valve adjustments on the bmws was too often and too far for me to ride to get maintenance done. Yes I could do it myself but before long trips I like to have the dealership (the one I trust close to my house) to look over everything just to cover my bases. The Triumphs were on the same boat and their dealership support was too spotty for me because I planned on traveling across the country so the only dealerships more plenty than the vstrom and s10 was Harley and I wasnt going to pay 26k for one of these. The way I may go is a second bike going forward for shorter weekend possible dirt trips. I have also heard the 650s (klr, dr, etc) are bulletproof, dummy proof and can be maintained with a toothpick, electric tape and some olive oil but are still a little heavy when taken off road but are still amazing bikes. Thank you again.
IBA#56715 Current ride: 2014 Yamaha S10
Motorcycles owned past 04 Ducati 748 Mono 96 Honda CBR600 F3, Kaw Vulcan 900, Tomos Moped (does this count?)
Dream ride Hawaii, Australia, Alaska
Other interests Collector of the old, drinks scotch
ommplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTARD View Post
you need 2 bikes.
Gotta agree..
Keep that S10 if you do longer trips and go on the slab.
I bought a new KLR back in 2008 and it was a fun bike for the secondary paved roads and dirt back roads...and pretty comfy for shorter , slower rides.
Having said that, it was the worst bike, by far, that I ever had the misfortune to ride on the slab. Underpowered and unstable at speed.
I ended up getting a new 2008 wee Strom and it was WORLDS better at speed.
I then spent four seasons on a CBF1000 and loved it, but it was a little cramped for me and strickly a road bike.
I just traded it for a 2014 Vstrom 1000, for more versatility and comfort.
I almost bought a 2014 S10, but the Strom suited my needs just a little better.
A bit more sporty and lighter.
The S10, though was a bit more comfy and would be better for heavier loads and more off the beaten path.
If you can, keep that S10 and get a second, lighter "thumper" for "dirtier" stuff.
As for chain vs shaft...that topic has been beaten to death.
Lets just say they both have their pros and cons.
I have never really cared whether a bike is chain or shaft, though lots of folks do, and for their preference their reasons are valid.

Toto screwed with this post 04-19-2015 at 08:14 PM
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote