Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
ilbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Lowering Bike: Lowering Links or Shorter Shock?

I have a Tiger 800XC and looking to lower it as I have a 30" inseam and with the shock all the way turned out, still on the tall side. In some of the areas I go to, can't seem to maneuver the best that I could. I have the Low seat but to reach the ground, I lean the bike a little and this presents a problem depending on road conditions. So, looking at lowering options, there are 2 to choose from. Lowering links 25mm or a 1" lowering shock replacement. Links would allow me to change it back if needed but I hear there are some handling issues and suspension compression issues with those. The lower shock would improve my shock from stock but not reversible unless I buy raising links. Will look to get a new shock soon as I weigh in at 220lbs geared up and still cannot set the sag correct on my bike. Either solution I will be raising the tubes up into the trees a little. Looking for opinions and/or thoughts for this. Shock I'm looking at is the Progressive 465 RAP.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,309
As long as you're getting a new rear shock anyway, for your weight (nothing beats having it sprung right!), I'd go ahead and get the right length for you as well.
You can always put the stocker back on to sell the bike, and sell the custom shock separately
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
The bike will not handle distinctly different with links. Only long travel bikes suffer slightly from differing handling characteristics and then you would have to be as good as a super-cross rider to notice. Most of the advice passed on is fear oriented and not actual experience oriented. Unless your road racing or off road racing your XC you will not notice a difference and truthfully if your going to upgrade a shock I would get it the correct length for its resale value. Even a difference in handling from a lowered link can be adjusted out. For instance a lowered link places the spring rate curve at a different value so you would need a stiffer spring for your given weight. But you can replace the spring and re-establish the handling from that issue. I have applied both lowered links and raising links to bikes and was easily able to maintain the handling characteristics. BTW a raising link will effectively increase the perceived spring rate and lowering links reduce the perceived spring rate.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
KOINZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Don't you lose some travel with shorter shocks. Links would be cheaper and still maintain the same travel.
2006 Suzuki DL1000 (sold)
KOINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOINZ View Post
Don't you lose some travel with shorter shocks. Links would be cheaper and still maintain the same travel.
Works both ways: A shock can be shortened by reducing the exterior dimension (even a quarter inch is significant) or reducing the length of the travel inside. Reducing the dimensions outside will maintain the travel length while reducing internal travel of course reduces the overall travel length of the suspension system. I would personally go with a reduced travel from links than either of the other options as the only time your going to experience a difference of an inch or so less travel is when your really flying over rough enough terrain to bottom out- most people can't ride good enough to bottom out these huge bikes if the bike is set for proper sag, but if the bike is set for proper sag your into another set of problems as this usually raises the bike at rider sag positions by increasing the spring rate enough to get proper sag that your not getting with a weaker spring. What your used to now with a weak spring is probably going to be lifted a little with the correct spring. I know some people think that a correct spring rate doesn't raise the bike but not necessarily so. I know too many words!
Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM   #6
Black Rhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I've used raising links in the past and really liked them. My only suggestion is to buy quality stuff. There is cheap crap out on the market , and that is where fear of failure comes from. Quality components are as good or better than stock.
Black Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote