Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #1801
jbax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefight911 View Post
Not true. Not true at all. The S10 can go to some amazing places in some amazing terrain.

If YOU haven't tried, you don't know!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xdfv3e
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With time in the saddle, some technique and some reasonably sizes balls you can do amazing stuff on the S10. Just try not to stop in a super slippery river bed with rounded stones and watch your ground clearance. With a 5mm stainless steel skid plate with a conveyer belt rubber cushion just slide over the bigger rocks.
jbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #1802
Dirt_Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Not a bad road to turn 65 days old and hit 4K miles.

2008 Yamaha WR250R

Dirt_Dad screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 05:22 AM
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #1803
Peregrine40
Tiercel

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Hmmmmmmmm...

So I guess Nick Sander's Pan-American Double Record Ride (http://www.nicksanders.com/2011/parallel_world.html) - on a bone-stock Super Tenere - was a complete figment of his imagination and pure flight of fancy, eh?

`
I love the S10 and am looking into one myself.

I just spent 14 months in Central and South America on a Buell Ulysses, so I know a thing or two about adventure touring in far off places with a pig of a bike. (Notwithstanding those pics, any Harley - and I love 'em too - is a heavy, weezing, coughing, massive pig of a bike, and more importantly, not fit-for-purpose to be off any road.)
Nick Sanders has completed an amazing feat of endurance. No doubt about it. But his travels are in no way any demonstration of the S10s off road capability - unless you call hard-pack and gravel 'adventure riding' . He spent most of his time on the Panamericana - on excellent paved roads and some high elevation hard pack and dirt on the lower- eastern side of South America. Indeed, his aim was tarmac-speed and not dirt adventure. Across north Brazil would have been entirely a different story. . .

Oh, and Nick also took a R1 across the entire world, riding through situations that would make his SA trip seem like a milk-run. By your logic, does this mean that the R1 is a more capable adventure bike? I think not. But rather, that the (great) motor will continue turning the rear wheel far after the driver has lost sight of common sense. And this is why we all love Nick's exploits.

Nick was given the S10 for free and paid to ride the bike. DEAL!! I don't subscribe to the principle that bigger is always better. Some do. The issue is fit for purpose. 600 pounds? Better stick to paid-Panamericana. That, or have riders posting photos 50 years in the future (or now?), goggling at the temerity to do such a thing when there are so many more appropriate means.
Peregrine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #1804
K0m4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine40 View Post
But his travels are in no way any demonstration of the S10s off road capability - unless you call hard-pack and gravel 'adventure riding' .
The first part of this sentence may be true. But 'off-road' is not synonymous to 'adventure'.. In fact, 'adventure' hasn't the first damn thing to do with which surface you travel on. My 2 öre. What limits the 'adventure' sense in his ride is that he did it on a schedule, to break a record. Just like the Dakar race has nothing to do with adventure in my book - it's as much adventure as a motogp..

Ohhh, in a few days I do hope to contribute to this thread with what it was made for: a pic of my brand-spanking new White Whale...! Can't wait.. I expect that bike to take me on many adventures!

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?

K0m4 screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 10:51 AM
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #1805
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post

Mmmmmmm. Daddy like.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #1806
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Mmmmmmm. Daddy like.
Me Too!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #1807
Dirt_Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Mmmmmmm. Daddy like.
Thanks. I had just gone through that water crossing (not that rough spot) and decided to stop, walk back across and find a decent photo of it. I think this was the best shot of the group.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #1808
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
My contribution…

These photos of my Super10 were taken April 21 in the desert just North of Langtry, Texas near the Mexican Border (home of the infamous Judge Roy Bean) on the 2-day, 600 mile inaugural Texas Adventure Challenge. Racked up 3,285 miles on this trip, which in addition to the Challenge included an SS1000 (Tampa to Columbus, Tx…in 17h 35m...on the stock seat) and a lot of scenic riding through the Texas Hill Country. Great bike, great place to ride it, great time, great people them Texans!

XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #1809
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Thanks for posting.

Beats looking at pics of old Harleys

(I still appreciate what those guys did though, it's just good to see that kind of spirit on S10's)

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #1810
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWilly View Post
My contribution…

These photos of my Super10 were taken April 21 in the desert just North of Langtry, Texas near the Mexican Border (home of the infamous Judge Roy Bean) on the 2-day, 600 mile inaugural Texas Adventure Challenge. Racked up 3,285 miles on this trip, which in addition to the Challenge included an SS1000 (Tampa to Columbus, Tx…in 17h 35m...on the stock seat) and a lot of scenic riding through the Texas Hill Country. Great bike, great place to ride it, great time, great people them Texans!

Looks Great at least you bought the fastest color, Question-What tyres are you running? and how do you find them for grip offroad.
Comment - I think I would be swapping the stock bash plate out if you get anything more than mud on it.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #1811
Uncle_Dave
Outback Traveller

Oddometer: 172
My latest ride up the North coast.

About 50 of these mud holes to get through but luckily they all had solid bases. Good fun
Uncle_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #1812
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm View Post
Question-What tyres are you running? and how do you find them for grip offroad.
Comment - I think I would be swapping the stock bash plate out if you get anything more than mud on it.
I’m currently looking at other bash plates. I bought the factory plate used some time back from another member to hold me over while getting used to the bike in the soft florida sandbox. Obviously, I’m venturing out now and need to deal with it. The tires are Heidenau K60 Scouts. They were excellent on all surfaces faced on this ride, including some spongy river crossings where I was really glad to have them.
XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #1813
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dave View Post
My latest ride up the North coast.

About 50 of these mud holes to get through but luckily they all had solid bases. Good fun

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #1814
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
"Lets do a back road ride and hit some easy dirt/gravel just so I can try to get a feel for this new beast. No creeks or mud." That's what I told my buddy, as we both left on our big bikes on street tires. That plan went to hell quick!

And my personal favorite:

(This was a planned event; the embankment I was on turned to angled slick mud, so we team-worked sliding the bike down into the solid rock creek bed)

The good news:
I never went down! Hell, I never even had a close-call! Calling this bike sure-footed is the understatement of the year! This thing ROCKS! Even on the stock street tires... Incredible!

The bad news:
Getting some K60 dual-sport tires was already expected... but I didn't think I'd need a bash plate and crash bars. Now I have to budget for another... what... $800? Arg.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the other bad news... my buddy on the KLR might have broken something in his foot when the toe of his boot caught the bank of a creek, compressing his foot into his bike. Made it home no problem, but now he can't put any weight on it. Eep.

Mikef5000 screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 08:15 AM Reason: added details
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #1815
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
first dirt day...