ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #2191
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
ACTION SHOTS ARE IN!

Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #2192
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
ACTION SHOTS ARE IN!

Whith these road wheels !!!!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #2193
Motor301
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Only action shot I have so far...need to get out and ride more

Motor301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #2194
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 286
^^^

Your first post includes a picture, though. Smart man

Welcome!
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #2195
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,767
Action shots?

Redwoods in the Avenue of the Giants, earlier today:

Wreckchecker screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 03:46 AM
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #2196
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
ACTION SHOTS ARE IN!

Apparently you didn't get the memo about the Tenere being too heavy, road-oriented, etc - especially in stock form - to do this kind of thing...

Good Show!
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.

creggur screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 07:29 PM
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #2197
Motor301
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cykel View Post
^^^

Your first post includes a picture, though. Smart man

Welcome!
Yeah, made that mistake once years ago. Haven't made it again

Thanks for the welcome!
Motor301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #2198
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
Apparently you didn't get the memo about the Tenere being heavy, road-oriented, etc - especially in stock form - to do this kind of thing...

Good Show!
I missed that memo too.

Rode some of the Mississippi Hill Country Trail yesterday. It was the first big gravel road ride and also had some milder off-road detours. It was also my first ride on this bike with guys who ride fast. Fortunately, the dust was terrible, so I could blame that on why I was hanging back so far instead of my "skills." The bike did great!

That was a detour around a washed out culvert. Most of the road looked like this:

Marbles on hard pack. The bike really excelled on this surface. The front never felt like it was going to run wide, and the rear would just drift out as wide as you wanted it to. The sand sections were... entertaining, as one would expect on a 575lb bike on street tires.

Now I just need to order a skid plate and crash bars before I mess this thing up. A TKC wouldn't hurt on the front either...

Anticyclone screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 06:19 AM
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #2199
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post

Marbles on hard pack. The bike really excelled on this surface. The front never felt like it was going to run wide, and the rear would just drift out as wide as you wanted it to.

I was really impressed at how it felt on those surfaces as well. After the Strom it was amazing how easy it was. It was so easy ion fact that I was getting a bit stupid after a while.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #2200
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,463
The Super Tenere is much better off road than most people give it credit. It is easy to ride this bike off road, it handles wonderfully!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #2201
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I was really impressed at how it felt on those surfaces as well. After the Strom it was amazing how easy it was. It was so easy ion fact that I was getting a bit stupid after a while.
My previous big ADV bike was a 650 Strom. There is no comparison between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedxt View Post
Hey anti i am surprised you made it that far! I heard the drain plugs rip out and the S10 isnt as good as the bmw or tiger explorer. Well...thats what MCN told me!

Joe
We don't have rocks in MS. A skid plate will be the next purchase. It would have been the first, but I use the bike to commute and needed hard bags first. The Jesse's should be in the mail.

There aren't many places around here you need a skid plate, and nowhere that I can't avoid until I get one. It's not like I'm some magazine test rider with an agenda and KTM lust.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #2202
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticyclone View Post
it's not like i'm some magazine test rider with an agenda and ktm lust.
+1
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #2203
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I really have to tone it down till I get a skid plate and D/S tires. I (mistakenly) got onto a couple roads today that were very challenging on my WR250R, let alone on this beast.

And it was inevitable, I finally dropped the thing:

It was a very steep and rocky down hill (I'm standing on the down hill side) and I actually aborted the plan and was turning around when I lost my footing. I caught the bike mid fall, but couldn't right it (as I was on the downhill side) so I gently laid it down to readjust my position. It was a pretty incredible feat of strength (think mother lifting car off of child) for my 130 pound self to lift it up when it fell towards the downhill, but I got her up, and inspected to find not a scratch. Very cool!
(Usual checks; fan spins free, shifter untouched, clutch untouched, etc)

Found a new powerline area:

And a thorough inspection upon arriving home revealed not a scratch on the plastic 'skid plate', or the sump, or anything vital, but some major dings in both the header pipes!

Like I said, I will be toning it down till I get a plate (and tires). It's so fun... but no... I shall resist.... I shall resist.... I shall resist.....
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #2204
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
I really have to tone it down till I get a skid plate and D/S tires. I (mistakenly) got onto a couple roads today that were very challenging on my WR250R, let alone on this beast.

And it was inevitable, I finally dropped the thing:

It was a very steep and rocky down hill (I'm standing on the down hill side) and I actually aborted the plan and was turning around when I lost my footing. I caught the bike mid fall, but couldn't right it (as I was on the downhill side) so I gently laid it down to readjust my position. It was a pretty incredible feat of strength (think mother lifting car off of child) for my 130 pound self to lift it up when it fell towards the downhill, but I got her up, and inspected to find not a scratch. Very cool!
(Usual checks; fan spins free, shifter untouched, clutch untouched, etc)

Found a new powerline area:

And a thorough inspection upon arriving home revealed not a scratch on the plastic 'skid plate', or the sump, or anything vital, but some major dings in both the header pipes!

Like I said, I will be toning it down till I get a plate (and tires). It's so fun... but no... I shall resist.... I shall resist.... I shall resist.....

Lol. Good for you picking it up. I've laid mine down to see how hard it would be to pick up, I don't think it's so bad.

And this is exactly why I went ahead and got crash bars and a skid plate. I'm not planning on any serious off-roading, but the couple times I've tried out dirt roads lead me to believe I won't be able to resist for long.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #2205
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
Lol. Good for you picking it up. I've laid mine down to see how hard it would be to pick up, I don't think it's so bad.

I did a dry run with mine fully load in prep for my RTW trip. Load comes to 170lbs at the moment, including the weight of the bags. So not too bad I think...

Anyway, after a couple of beers (hold my beer and watch this!), and with some mates to help should I fail, I decided it would be a good time to see if I could pick it up. Laid it down on the grass then tried to lift it the "correct" way, by backing into the seat and lifting with my legs. No go... with the bike on the left side, me facing away from it with my bum on the seat, I had nowhere to get a grip with my left hand. This is with Jesses on - I could easily grip the racks with the bags off, but no way to get a bag off with the bike on its side.

Eventually I just did a brute force thing - facing the bike, squat really low, grip the crash bar with the left hand, right just bracing on the seat cos there's still nowhere to get a good grip, and shoulder into the curve of the tank. This is where I got most of the lift. Then push like buggery using my legs. Came up pretty easy, no back strain either. However I'm 200lbs - I wouldn't want to try it at Mikef5000's 130lbs. Amazing job Mike!

Next time I'm going to try attaching a strap to the pillion hanger, and use that to grab onto for the butt-in-seat technique.

Trevor