Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #4246
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 352
OEM crashbars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
I see you had to hold the black boy down to get a good picture....too. Mine just shakes otherwise.It can't help it. Just wants to go FAST all the time. Had to slap the crap out of it last summer.Everytime it sees a blew one it just sqwalls circles around it. Most unmannerly.
I have those oem crash bars too. They suck. Gotta get new ones.
Nice looking bike.
Don`t get rid of all the OEM crashbars ... just the top (useless) ... the low part is great for the engine waterpump protection ... supplement that with the Altrider crashbars and you have the best of both worlds.
Cheers,
Roberto and the Black Pearl

Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #4247
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
Don`t get rid of all the OEM crashbars ... just the top (useless) ... the low part is great for the engine waterpump protection ... supplement that with the Altrider crashbars and you have the best of both worlds.
Cheers,
Roberto and the Black Pearl

I was wondering if I could use both the OEM bottom and the Altrider top. Thanks for info!
But what frame to Frame skidplate will work with your set up?

Boulder
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #4248
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Skidplate and handguards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
I was wondering if I could use both the OEM bottom and the Altrider top. Thanks for info!
But what frame to Frame skidplate will work with your set up?

Boulder
Hi Boulder ... I modified a Hepco Becker / Krauser skidplate with a front extension which uses the bolts that grab the front of the engine instead of the original which is bolted to the engine ...
Cheers,
Roberto

Mine is similar although I did it in a 4mm thick aluminum and all welded instead of the rivets. The rear supports are the same and are attached to the frame.

My hand guards:

modified from some old XT600 (3AJ) handguards and HDB (Highway Dirt Bikes) very strong guards.

Cheers,
Roberto
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #4249
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Thanks Roberto!

Great Ideas!

I think I can try that with the OEM skid plate also. I think it is beefy enough. I believe the problem with the OEM is:

1) It sits right against that engine mount/lift bolt and when the other people who have had failures it looks like it slammed that bolt or ripped it off in or out of the engine. It also sits close to almost everything below the bottom casing.
2) Week attachments all around. Little bolts and flimsy attachments to the engine. I tap it with my foot and the whole thing moves half an inch. it rebounds back but still moves.
3) Mounted to the engine.

If i remove these three things and mount it a little more below the engine and saw off that hanging engine bolt, and mount above like yours in the front and figure out how to mount the rear do you think the OEM skid plate thickness will be good enough?

My neighbor welds In aluminum so he can set me up. He builds Aluminum air boats out here for the hunters on the Great Salt Lake swampland...
He creates giant skid plates for those boats. So I think he could set something up.

If you and anyone thinks the OEM skid plate itself not mounted as original is not a good strength material or thickness to handle the hits like aftermarket ones do then let me know and i will sale a child of mine for one. Don't want to waste allot of time building off OEM if it is crap skid plate.

boulder
Old 03-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #4250
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:

If you and anyone thinks the OEM skid plate itself not mounted as original is not a good strength material or thickness to handle the hits like aftermarket ones do then let me know and i will sale a child of mine for one. Don't want to waste allot of time building off OEM if it is crap skid plate.

boulder
This may help you. OEM left, SW-Motech on right.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #4251
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
hey, thanks guys for all the info on crashbars & skid plates. Seriously good info.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #4252
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Old Git-Thank you. quite a difference.

bouldertag screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 02:06 PM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #4253
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Well, I finally took possession of my very own Super Tenere 12 days ago in Georgetown Texas. I did the 600 mile check/changes, then rode it down the east coast of Mexico with a couple of excursions up into the Sierra Occidental. The best part was from Xilitla to San Miguel de Allende on rt 120, then more rural roads. It got the square of some of the highway riding off the tires.

Here she is on rt 101 southwest of Ciudad Victoria, with the Gulf coast humidity doing its best to encroach on the desierto. Accessories are just the Givi racks/bags & crashbar.

Overall impression after 12 days and 2k miles: I think I'm falling in love. I'm coming from a VStrom DL1000 before this, and a couple of Versys prior to that. In the long run, the Vstrom might be a tad sportier than the Tenere, but given all the other features, the Tenere is in a completely different league from what I can tell. It's got similar grunt to the Vstrom, but with a more nimble feel, kinda like the Versys I used to own. The drive shaft is new to me, and perhaps after learning the bike a bit more I won't be thinking the VStrom is more sporty. The seat is a bit uncomfortable IMO. Stock mirrors are as good or better than any I've had on any of my bikes. I really like the gear ratios, esp compared to the Vstrom. They are much more practical, being spaced more tightly in the lower 3-4 gears, but still tall enough in the upper gears to cruise down the interstates and cuotas of the world with aplomb. The rider ergos work for my inseam, height, and arm length. Absolutely love the suspension. Same for the ride-by-wire throttle, ABS, TCS, and unified braking. Plus she's pretty. I think she's a keeper. :)
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #4254
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,126
Congrats on the new bike, Miguelito. Check into the clutch jumper mod if you want more power/better response in the first 3 gears.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #4255
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,891
One step closer. Talked to the bank but they can only lend for the sale price and can only mail the check.

I'll be making two trips. This weekend will be the negotiation price and trade in value then the following weekend will hopefully be the transaction. If everything goes to plan, I'm less than two weeks from riding a Tenere.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #4256
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Not the OEM skidplate

Quote:
Thanks Roberto!

Great Ideas!

I think I can try that with the OEM skid plate also. I think it is beefy enough. I believe the problem with the OEM is:

1) It sits right against that engine mount/lift bolt and when the other people who have had failures it looks like it slammed that bolt or ripped it off in or out of the engine. It also sits close to almost everything below the bottom casing.
2) Week attachments all around. Little bolts and flimsy attachments to the engine. I tap it with my foot and the whole thing moves half an inch. it rebounds back but still moves.
3) Mounted to the engine.

If i remove these three things and mount it a little more below the engine and saw off that hanging engine bolt, and mount above like yours in the front and figure out how to mount the rear do you think the OEM skid plate thickness will be good enough?

My neighbor welds In aluminum so he can set me up. He builds Aluminum air boats out here for the hunters on the Great Salt Lake swampland...
He creates giant skid plates for those boats. So I think he could set something up.

boulder
Your neighbor and someone who owns a SW Motech or Hepco Becker who may lend it for a day or two can make you happy ... just copy and paste as I did ... your final design draw it in a piece of paper or if possible a CAD drawing and laser cut it in a 4mm aluminum then weld it. The SW Motech front and the Hepco Becker rear mounts are the best available. I like the SW Motech two drain holes also ... I use special plugin hoses to drain the oil.

The rear supports

Cheers,
Roberto
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #4257
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Congrats on the new bike, Miguelito. Check into the clutch jumper mod if you want more power/better response in the first 3 gears.
Thanks TR. I will be doing more research on stuff like that now that I own a Tenere, so thanks for the heads-up. ;)
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #4258
gharshman
Pleasantly Obsessed

Oddometer: 49
today, near my commute...

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #4259
Space Traveler
explorer

Oddometer: 153
Just Got It Today

Space Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote