ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #4996
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
AF-1 does not do the upgrade. The new reflash will have the upgrade already. I thought
you had never had a reflash so AF-1 would be fine to use. As mentioned give them a heads
up so they can have the program ready.

Now as a public apology to ECUnleashed... I'm sorry. I've been boobing about their lack of communication
and the fact I had not heard anything on my ECU sent in 2 weeks ago. I came home from work today
and it was on my porch. I feel like a shit heel for complaining about a free upgrade.

Now for the good stuff, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I really liked the original reflash. As I've always said
not a night and day OMG difference just a very nice combination of perfect feeling jetting and a modest
performance increase. This new reflash reminds me of what the Europeans claimed when they had the
reflash done. Very noticeable performance jump! Tour mode and Sport mode finally have a reason to exist.
I've never used the Tour mode and now can see a reason to. It was a short test around the neighborhood
and I never got above 4th gear. I can tell you I was grinning a lot. I need to do an extended test. It almost felt
like it gave up a little under 3K above 3k better be paying attention. I've removed the clutch mod. No stall or hiccup.

Still grinning typing this.

I know there have been some skeptics and stuck to how happy they are with how their stock bike runs.
All I can say is you don't have a clue what it's capable of with just a simple ECU tweaking.

I know I've said this class of bike isn't about raw performance or high horsepower, buuuutttt it is fun to
find out what untapped potential is sitting under you. Now where is that GS that gave me an ass whooping?
I am thinking you have sold me...will do this mod in the off season this coming winter. No way in hell I am giving up riding time and money during the season. Plus I will probably use the $500 to buy a new seat...my only complaint with the Tenere so far.

Andf no I am not an airhawk fan...tried one, felt disconnected, same with sheep skin and gel covers
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #4997
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
Pluric,

Did you stay with high octane gas or did you change the setting to lower octane with the Gen-2 upgrade?
I run high test in everything so I did not ask for that to be changed.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #4998
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 2,002
ECUnleashed & Fuel Octane...

Quote:
Pluric,

Did you stay with high octane gas or did you change the setting to lower octane with the Gen-2 upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I run high test in everything so I did not ask for that to be changed.

Just as an FYI...

When you e-mail ECUnleashed to set-up sending in your ECU for the Gen 2 upgrade they reply directing you to their "Tune File Order Form" (http://ecunleashed.com/dealers/order-form-tuning-files/), and there you fill in the info about your bike, etc. (they provide you a password to access it). If you look carefully at the form you'll see there are only three options when it comes to fuel, and they are as follows:

- "Standard Pump (89 - 95)"
- "Race - Details in Comments"
- "Diesel"

(that's right, "Diesel" is one of the choices! )

From what I gather in asking about this apparently ECUnleashed with the Gen 2 flash no longer alters the Super Tenere tuning parameters based on octane rating. The tuning within the Gen 2 flash is the same with all grades of pump gasoline.

Again, just FYI...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #4999
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Just as an FYI...

When you e-mail ECUnleashed to set-up sending in your ECU for the Gen 2 upgrade they reply directing you to their "Tune File Order Form" (http://ecunleashed.com/dealers/order-form-tuning-files/), and there you fill in the info about your bike, etc. (they provide you a password to access it). If you look carefully at the form you'll see there are only three options when it comes to fuel, and they are as follows:

- "Standard Pump (89 - 95)"
- "Race - Details in Comments"
- "Diesel"

(that's right, "Diesel" is one of the choices! )

From what I gather in asking about this apparently ECUnleashed with the Gen 2 flash no longer alters the Super Tenere tuning parameters based on octane rating. The tuning within the Gen 2 flash is the same with all grades of pump gasoline.

Again, just FYI...

Dallara

~
Dallara,

Great info - thanks! I have not filled out the form yet but I know I'm not going to run Diesel anytime soon, or any left over VP C-12 laying around here! Makes for an easy answer to that question...
Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #5000
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Dallara,

Great info - thanks! I have not filled out the form yet but I know I'm not going to run Diesel anytime soon, or any left over VP C-12 laying around here! Makes for an easy answer to that question...
If ur ever in my neck of the woods I might be able to hook you up with some AvGas, so never say never. :screwy:
I think the point Dallara is making is that ECU Unleashed used to offer a choice of ignition timing between regular and premium pump gas. If the new form is any indication, they no longer do.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #5001
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
If ur ever in my neck of the woods I might be able to hook you up with some AvGas, so never say never. :screwy:
I think the point Dallara is making is that ECU Unleashed used to offer a choice of ignition timing between regular and premium pump gas. If the new form is any indication, they no longer do.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
Going with the pump gas option but the 100LL would be fun to try it in the Super T, so won't say never.

AlsoRan screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 09:05 AM
AlsoRan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #5002
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
From fun to holy shit this is deep and I'm stuck in 20 feet.
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #5003
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,503
How you take it off????

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #5004
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
How you take it off????
The ST hydro locked in the mud jaumev, so after about a half hour of digging....

I managed to drag it out of the mud tail first....it's going to be a naproxen 500mg kind of evening.

This was my second outing on the ST offroad.....the first being parsons branch in NC with the wife on back. I did own a yamaha it175 , zuki rm 250 and later a honda cr480 back in the day....so my offroad riding needs a major refresher. Just ordered a set of Heidenau k60's.

Sumo64c screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 02:51 PM
Old 05-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #5005
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo64c View Post
The ST hydro locked in the mud jaumev, so after about a half hour of digging....

I managed to drag it out of the mud tail first....it's going to be a naproxen 500mg kind of evening.

This was my second outing on the ST offroad.....the first being parsons branch in NC with the wife on back. I did own a yamaha it175 , zuki rm 250 and later a honda cr480 back in the day....so my offroad riding needs a major refresher. Just ordered a set of Heidenau k60's.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #5006
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Glad you and your bike are ok. I try to spend most of my Tenere time on the trails.

On the street, the "oops" moment can be...embarrassing. At least help wasn't far away.

WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #5007
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
From fun to holy shit this is deep and I'm stuck in 20 feet.
How did you manage to get in so deep

I had a similar experience with the S10 albeit in loose gravel. That's when I realized that with no off road riding experience and related skills, this thing is a like a bus . But then, it was completely my fault.
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #5008
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Yeah, that should get it out.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #5009
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:

Sand dune paddles wont get you out of that - Heidi's will turn slick in that shit.

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #5010
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=pluric;21499346]Yeah, that should get it out.[/QUOTE

$300+ for false hope then....yay for me

I do split time between Flatistan and Western NC and plan on doing some off novice off roading up in the Smokies. Avoiding the heavy mud and surgar sand like the plague in the future though....learned my lesson the hard way.