Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #4996
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Can't wait to see what all the excitement has been about with the Gen 2 update! I only hope it doesn't take as long as your's did!

Dallara

~
In hindsight and after reading their instructions I have to take the blame for the delay.
I did not pre-register. I just sent them an ECU with my information and some cash
and return shipping label for return shipping.

I will be interested to hear what you think too.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #4997
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,362
A happy camper

Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #4998
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

That's great.

I bet the guy with the Open Road trailer was jealous of the size of your rig.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #4999
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Ole Git Ray,

THAT's how you do it! :)

It shows that you are enjoying the adventure.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #5000
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapi View Post
test rode a 2013 SuperT. DAMMIT! I'm still in love with it. I thought that my FJR1300 ownership would render the SuperT useless to me. But, I still ride the Super T better in the twisties !!!!!!! Of course my Fjr doesn't have ABS or traction control so I have more confidence on the SuperT.

I definitely miss the powerplant in the FJR.Yes, knowing I'm faster than 90% of the traffic around me is comforting...and feeds the octance ego I've developed from owning a jet on wheels. Yeah, I'm let down by the off the line acceleration of the Super T but thats the only thing I think I'd miss if I let the FJR1300 go.

While test riding a friends Super T, I rode in the grass, sprinted in the gravel, and experimented with going off tar and back, anticipating rear end collision for instance. I'm sure on the FJR I'd get from New Hampshire to California a day earlier. But, it seems that the Super T provides a measure of security since it can go around some tarmac issues.. My first bike was a WeeStrom and the SuperT has that whole thing perfected. I hate that speed-ego is in my blood

I just rode the Tail of Dragon and had my most skillful (and fastest) ride on the FJR, slayed the dragon. That ride should be on my mind. But, here I am three days later thinking more about the test ride on the Super T. After several years of practicing on a very twisties mountain rode, I've finally gotten my FJR skills up to a good sportbike level. However, yesterday, several of the turns were faster on the Super T and Im not yet comfortable with the Super T ! I'm left with what ifs.

What if the stock SuperT was ecu flashed and modified for speed and suspension tigthness? Would my FJR-speed-ego be fed?

What if I get the Super T and still hate being pushed forward in the seat? FJR throne is so much more comfortable.

What if I miss the FJR ? There is something about that bike. It fits in and looks great everywhere. Being a businessman, sometimes, I can suit up. Hmm, three piece suit and a Super T ride, muffler spitting out my arrival?

What if the pillions are uncomfortable? Didnt have a trusty sidekick during my test ride.

Moment of truth I guess is this, the FJR positives over the Super T almost all relate to speed. All the other pluses of the Yamaha are matched by the Yamaha. Reliability, durability, fit and finish. This is tough. I mostly ride tarmac but the thought of being able to bound down a fireroad, hurtle past construction sights and crappy roads or just turn around in the median to go to the bathroom when interstate traffic comes to a 5mph crawl.
I'm not an offroader, having just started riding a few years ago at 40+years old. but the versatility, the option is too much to ignore.

tough decision, keep my sports touring bike that I love(10states) or go for the tractor bike that I ride better. favorite riding style is this: ride all day long, sleep, then ride all day long. other riding styles: take pictures of sights from different vantage points. go shopping. go to the gym to workout. visit a friend 4 states away. ride in the rain. ride in the cold. ride in the heat. (i have the 05 FJR HOT !!!!). ride for 15minutes just to breathe fresh air and clear my mind for creative projects.

dammit, which bike?
Lapi -
Welcome to the dirty side.

I also had both a first and second generation FJR. I still prefer the sexy looks of the FJR and occasionally miss that turbine engine. Those were fantastic. It satisfies what you called "speed ego."

A few specific answers:
I actually long-distance easier on the Tenere than on the FJR. The Tenere is more of a kitchen chair upright position and once you flatten the seat ($2 mod) and get a windshield to fit (same as on the FJR), the Tenere is better in all-day comfort. It's much easier on my back and shoulders, plus the legs are more relaxed. It helps that I can stretch my legs out by putting them up on the bars.

Even if you do the flash and modify the suspension, the Tenere will be a twin that will never have the ease of revving that the FJR has. It'll also be down on horsepower. However, as you found, the Tenere WILL frigging fly when you want it to; it just doesn't feel like it.

Flatten the seat on the Tenere with a couple rubber bumpers for $2 from Home Depot and it's as comfy as the FJR's. Not the best in the world and I may go for the kit that has different foam ($159), but the seat comforts themselves are very similar. What's different is the rest of the ergos and the Tenere is MUCH easier to live with.

My lady prefers the pillion of the Tenere by a lot. No question on this one, even before I raised the front of her seat by about a half inch and now she prefers it to the true tourers. The Tenere pillion seat is huge, flat, her knees bend less, and she gets hit by less wind it seems.

The Tenere has everything else. Commuting, I don't worry about a tipover from ass-hat parallel parking a car. No tupperware worries. Easier in town, where speeds are low. Dirt and mud roads that gave me the willies on the FJR have become what I look for with the Tenere. Panniers are big enough to actually carry what the two of us want to take. Etc.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #5001
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Just curious if the trip is programmed for these big miles per day, as you are covering a lot of ground fast.

If not, the one thing we regretted on our big ride last year was not spending enough full days in different places. You've got a whole year and are already retired.

(Yes, I'm jealous )
Old 05-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #5002
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Lapi -
Welcome to the dirty side.

I also had both a first and second generation FJR. I still prefer the sexy looks of the FJR and occasionally miss that turbine engine. Those were fantastic. It satisfies what you called "speed ego."

A few specific answers:
I actually long-distance easier on the Tenere than on the FJR. The Tenere is more of a kitchen chair upright position and once you flatten the seat ($2 mod) and get a windshield to fit (same as on the FJR), the Tenere is better in all-day comfort. It's much easier on my back and shoulders, plus the legs are more relaxed. It helps that I can stretch my legs out by putting them up on the bars.

Even if you do the flash and modify the suspension, the Tenere will be a twin that will never have the ease of revving that the FJR has. It'll also be down on horsepower. However, as you found, the Tenere WILL frigging fly when you want it to; it just doesn't feel like it.

Flatten the seat on the Tenere with a couple rubber bumpers for $2 from Home Depot and it's as comfy as the FJR's. Not the best in the world and I may go for the kit that has different foam ($159), but the seat comforts themselves are very similar. What's different is the rest of the ergos and the Tenere is MUCH easier to live with.

My lady prefers the pillion of the Tenere by a lot. No question on this one, even before I raised the front of her seat by about a half inch and now she prefers it to the true tourers. The Tenere pillion seat is huge, flat, her knees bend less, and she gets hit by less wind it seems.

The Tenere has everything else. Commuting, I don't worry about a tipover from ass-hat parallel parking a car. No tupperware worries. Easier in town, where speeds are low. Dirt and mud roads that gave me the willies on the FJR have become what I look for with the Tenere. Panniers are big enough to actually carry what the two of us want to take. Etc.
I can echo a lot of these comments (I still have my 08 FJR, rode it to work today...). I did turn my ST into a solo mount rig by pulling the grab bars and passenger pegs (it would be about 10 minutes work to put them back). I did my SS1000 on the ST, which would have been much more difficult on the FJR due to the differences in seating between the two bikes. Am I glad I have both? Absolutely! If I was forced to keep only bike, which would it be? The Super Tenere, of course!

EDIT: Had to add the obligatory ST Pic. This is on FR300 on top of the Mogollon rim...

AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #5003
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Thumb FJR's and Super T's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapi View Post
test rode a 2013 SuperT. DAMMIT! I'm still in love with it. I thought that my FJR1300 ownership would render the SuperT useless to me. But, I still ride the Super T better in the twisties !!!!!!! Of course my Fjr doesn't have ABS or traction control so I have more confidence on the SuperT...

...dammit, which bike?

As a former FJR owner, and recent FJR shopper, I thought I'd chime in...

I had a truly wonderful 2006 FJR1300, and I loved it. I test rode all the other great sport touring mounts of the time and honestly felt the FJR was by far the cream of the crop of them for me, so I bought one. Turbine smooth. Buckets of torque (especially for an inline four). Seemingly limitless top-end. Confident handling. Great weather protection. Terrific seat. Good ergos other than the pegs being a bit too close to the seat... You name it, it did it well. Didn't care for the bags, and it was heavy, but those were minimal compromises to make for the rest of the package. My only real problem was it's power and smoothness... In that there I'd be cruising along thinking was doing 80 MPH, then I'd look down and the speedo would say 125. I finally decided that one day it was going to land me in jail - big time - so I traded out of it.

Went through a couple of other mounts I thought would be good for long-distance travel... even a big bagger/cruiser... but nothing fit the bill as well as the FJR. I was actually just about to pull the trigger on buying a 2011 FJR (I had a KLR for dual-purpose duty) when I heard they were going to bring the Super Tenere to the USA. When I saw that I decided to take a chance, plop down the PDP money, wait a while, and take a chance. Figured if I got the Super Tenere and didn't like it it would be pretty easy to sell since it was going to be new, different, and in fairly short supply...

But then I got the Super Tenere in my hands everything changed. I started racking miles up on it unlike any bike I had ever owned in 40+years of two-wheeling, and more and more my other bikes stayed parked. My KLR grew cobwebs. My Ducati Hypermotard (which had a CA Cycleworks 6.5-gallon tank for long range) seemed to always have a dead battery for non-use. My XR1200 developed dust-bunnies... And so on.

On paper the Super Tenere shouldn't have been as good as it was, and none of my riding buddies could figure it out. Why would I be riding a big, heavy, reportedly underpowered, dual-purpose "adventure" bike when I had all these other great bikes in the quiver? Then I started selling off many of the other bikes and confused them more...

I often help out the local Yamaha dealer when they have demo ride days and the big Yamaha semi-truck shows up, and this last time, when I heard they were bringing one of the new 2013 FJR's... new fairing, cruise control, other refinements, etc., etc.... I got all excited and thought "Wow, you know with all the bikes I've sold off I've got room for new FJR in the stable," and couldn't wait to ride it. And ride it I did...

Oh, it was a spectacular motorcycle, and I rode numerous times while the Yamaha truck was here. There was that wonderful FJR power in spades. That turbine smoothness, too, though I noticed it made it almost souless, in that I found I missed the more visceral twin-cylinder character that I loved about my Ducati, XR1200, Super Tenere, etc. And sure it was comfortable, with the adjustable windscreen, cruise control, low seat height, etc.... But each evening I would get on my Super Tenere to ride home I'd say "Ahhhhhh, now this is what I really like, and want."

Others have said it, so you're not hearing anything new. I could readily and easily have an FJR right there in the garage next to my Super Tenere, but there's just one problem... I'd never ride it. At least not enough to justify the capital investment, the insurance, and the upkeep. It would jsut sit there.

Why? Well, because for me anyway, the Super Tenere is simply a much better all-around mount. And not just that, but for me it's also a better long-distance mount, solo or two-up. Is it perfect? Hell, no. But it will do more things better, on more rides, than anything else I can currently think of. I can cover more miles a day than I ever could on my FJR, and feel fresher at the end of the day, too. I may not be able to alter time and space with the throttle quite like the FJR can, but honestly I think I can go faster in the twisty bits than on the FJR, too, and carry more stuff in the bargain.

And the Super T will definitely do one thing far better than the FJR can - and that's ride off-road.

For me, it's a no-brainer. Both are incredible machines, but the Super Tenere wins. Hands down. Every time.

Just my two centavos... YMMV, of course.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #5004
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Ditto on Ed and AF-1 Racing... Best in the business!

BTW, Pluric, while I was out town race chasin' ol' Michael at ECUnleashed replied to my e-mail inquiry about the *free* Gen 2 flash update. So I filled out the online form, pulled the ECU, and then did the Fed-Ex 2-day two-step and shipped it off to ECUnleashed in California.

To tell ya' the truth, if had not been for you finally getting your ECU back, as well as Ed Cook's own reassurance that there wouldn't be any problems doing the California turnaround, I'm not sure I would have risked it. After all, I was plenty happy with my Gen 1 flash.

Can't wait to see what all the excitement has been about with the Gen 2 update! I only hope it doesn't take as long as your's did!

Dallara

~
So far I have not wanted to risk it, but I've been watching and now seeing that the ECU's are trickling in so I'm going to send mine as well. I've been happy with the Gen 1 flash, but will go with the upgrade since it seems there is a big difference. No reply to my emails yet, so time for the nail biter while waiting for the ECU to return home!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #5005
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Seems to be a great mod with the flash but do not really understand that the communication is that bad, so many people that I read about that send e-mails e.t.c. with no response including myself.
Want to do it one day but would be nice to know how long time I will not be able to ride my bike without the ECU.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #5006
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Question Do you have a flash???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Seems to be a great mod with the flash but do not really understand that the communication is that bad, so many people that I read about that send e-mails e.t.c. with no response including myself.
Want to do it one day but would be nice to know how long time I will not be able to ride my bike without the ECU.

If your bike is stock then you don't have to worry a bit. Just find an ECUnleashed dealer and have him do the Gen 2 flash for you. The only folks who have to send their ECU's in to ECUnleashed in California are those people who had a Gen 1 flash done at a dealer, and now want the free upgrade to the Gen 2 flash.

To give you an idea... When I had my ECUnleashed Gen 1 flash done at AF-1 Racing in New Braunfels over a year ago I simply walked in with my ECU in my hand, and Ed Cook did the re-flash at his desk while we sat there talking. The re-flash was done in less than 10 minutes. But since I have a Gen 1 flash I had to send my ECU to ECUnleashed in California for the free upgrade to Gen 2.

Now OTOH, take Snakebitten here... He had never had a re-flash done to his bike, but a couple of weeks ago he rode his into AF-1 Racing, pulled the ECU in the service drive, and Ed did the Gen 2 re-flash while he waited. Since he had never had a re-flash done he could get the newer Gen 2 flash right off the bat.

IIRC there are a few ECUnleashed dealers in Australia (http://ecunleashed.com/dealers/find-...international/)... Have you contacted one of them?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #5007
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,342
See anything missing in this picture? Empty space, dis-connected battery tender?

Sold the DRZ today and I'm down to one bike for the first time in years. I'm scared, but feel strangely liberated. No more worrying about gummed up carbs and dead batteries, acidic oil or dry-rotting tires. Not that that was a concern with the tenere Poor DRZ, I hope the new owner rides it more than I have the past year.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #5008
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,077
welcome to the world of one bike.

Your garage floor looks like a real garage floor

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #5009
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257

Saguaro National Park

Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #5010
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
See anything missing in this picture? Empty space, dis-connected battery tender?

Sold the DRZ today and I'm down to one bike for the first time in years. I'm scared, but feel strangely liberated. No more worrying about gummed up carbs and dead batteries, acidic oil or dry-rotting tires. Not that that was a concern with the tenere Poor DRZ, I hope the new owner rides it more than I have the past year.
I don't think mine has been off the trailer in over two years. Drained the carb and tender it once in a while.
Since putting a 351 kit on the KLX it has become my trail bike of choice.

Selling the DR doesn't pick up any space so I'll keep it for awhile.