Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #7201
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Nice shot. Rumbux looks good on your bike too.
Thanks!
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:03 AM   #7202
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Surprised considering the major mods to your bike. Not much point in getting the plain Z is there?
Actually the Z is the probably the one I'd go for. I don't have much use for the ESA on the ZE, but I can definitely make use of the cruise control and adjustable windscreen on the Z.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #7203
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Hola, I have a 2014 XT1200Z in Colombia.

Twisty roads and the Andes are my training ground when I ride.

I'm addition, old trucks and cars, all sort of poultry, dogs and other animals, objects, ditches and holes on the road are often found, even in the few highways we have here.

So, my ST comes with the cruise control but because all of the above I really have not found any use for it. One must concentrate on those hairpin turns, look out for the chicken on the road or the hole. Cruise control just feel awkward.

For sure is something that riders in the developed world will appreciate, but for me it is kind of a silly gadget.

BTW welcome long range riders in Colombia.

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #7204
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valderrama View Post
Hola, I have a 2014 XT1200Z in Colombia.

Twisty roads and the Andes are my training ground when I ride.

I'm addition, old trucks and cars, all sort of poultry, dogs and other animals, objects, ditches and holes on the road are often found, even in the few highways we have here.

So, my ST comes with the cruise control but because all of the above I really have not found any use for it. One must concentrate on those hairpin turns, look out for the chicken on the road or the hole. Cruise control just feel awkward.

For sure is something that riders in the developed world will appreciate, but for me it is kind of a silly gadget.

BTW welcome long range riders in Colombia.

congrats on the new ride! . How do you like it? likes? Dislikes? Have any experience with the previous model?
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #7205
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,601
Finally after almost half a year, it's beginning to look like a bike again. I gave up on that homemade fabrication crap. It just became too complicated.

Good to hear it run again. Just need to at least design a headlight mount and we should be good to go. I left my Hella lights back in VA but I'll be going back this weekend to grab some more crap.

Also will need some engine protection. The plastic ones are a rip off at $35/each. I picked up a JD2 Model 2 bender anyways so maybe a homemade engine guard is in order?
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #7206
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
My next play toy but in dark grey

Not decided yet if the plain Z or the ZE
Cheers,
Roberto
Now you have an excuse to keep the PCV....

How did you get on with the O2 sensor conundrum ???
Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #7207
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Out for a ride today
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #7208
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Hola again. The ST it's amazing, is fast, it's easy to drive.

I had have big bikes before (GS 1100, 85.000 kmts) but the last years I have been riding a XT660Z. The ST1200Z is a totally different bike, however it's feels easier to handle that the 660. Also the 1200 runs much better with passenger. I had the bike for now weeks and it has only 1000 kmts.

Today we put, with mi wife, on the new bike some 300 kmts of dirt, pure offroad, on the so called "RUTA DEL CARBON" (translates Charcoal Route), one offroad that goes through little villages and charcoal mines.

The top nut of the steering head got loose. I had to go the a tractor mechanic to have the nut tighten. He did not have the exact size of tool so we had to use some agricultural tool to have fixed.

Anyway, my impression from a loaded trip today is that the bike's suspension could have more travel, both front and rear, and honestly with passenger is a bit too short. In addition, the suspension' factory set up is to stiff and hard for offroad, but is awesome for tarmac. I need to figure out how to set up the front forks for a softer ride off road. Any hints or ideas? If one of you guys know the forum topic where that is being discuss please post.

Some of the few images I took.....

I had not gotten the center stand, so it's a pain to repair or to work on the tires.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #7209
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 344
O2 sensors conflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Now you have an excuse to keep the PCV....

How did you get on with the O2 sensor conundrum ???
Hi Ray,I disconnected the O2 optimizer and left the OEM sensors working and the fuel consumption was definitely better but as all good things come to an end, I am selling my good and trusty S10 to buy the new 2014 Z, not ZE, as I am keeping most of my farkles including the Ohlins rear shock and the PCV. It has been a heavy burden to replace everything but worth the effort since the buyers don't appreciate or consider the value of the added gadgets. Still not sure if I'll keep the heated grips and the Xenon front lights. Will post a photo of the Old Raven Super Tenere as soon as finished.
Cheers,
Roberto
Old 02-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #7210
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Centerstand

Quote:
Hola again. The ST it's amazing, is fast, it's easy to drive.

I had have big bikes before (GS 1100, 85.000 kmts) but the last years I have been riding a XT660Z. The ST1200Z is a totally different bike, however it's feels easier to handle that the 660. Also the 1200 runs much better with passenger. I had the bike for now weeks and it has only 1000 kmts.

Today we put, with mi wife, on the new bike some 300 kmts of dirt, pure offroad, on the so called "RUTA DEL CARBON" (translates Charcoal Route), one offroad that goes through little villages and charcoal mines.

The top nut of the steering head got loose. I had to go the a tractor mechanic to have the nut tighten. He did not have the exact size of tool so we had to use some agricultural tool to have fixed.

Anyway, my impression from a loaded trip today is that the bike's suspension could have more travel, both front and rear, and honestly with passenger is a bit too short. In addition, the suspension' factory set up is to stiff and hard for offroad, but is awesome for tarmac. I need to figure out how to set up the front forks for a softer ride off road. Any hints or ideas? If one of you guys know the forum topic where that is being discuss please post.

I had not gotten the center stand, so it's a pain to repair or to work on the tires.

Hola Juan, so you have the Z without electronic suspension, and they reduced weight and price not including the centerstand ... are you ordering one? if so, does it have the same part number as the old model? ... the side stand is different and much improved.
Saludos desde Chile,
Roberto
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 AM   #7211
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Roberto, Hola desde Colombia.

Well, I ordered the center stand thru ICOLMOTOS YAMAHA, they are the assembler and importer and official agent for Yamaha in Colombia, and I realized now they have used the same parts catalog for a 2011 ST.

Look at this link: http://incolmotos-yamaha.com.co/site...6/Default.aspx

They have there the parts catalog. If the link does not work go to REPUESTOS and the DESPIEZE DE MODELOS and look for the ST.

It is worth pointing out that you need to order the whole kit of bolts, nuts, springs and rubber top.

In Colombia we can only buy so far the Z model.

Roberto, I saw in you pics that you have 21 inch front tires. I what to know more about it, can you post info about it, or can u tell about other forums? My email is Jmvalderrama@yahoo.com if is the case

Saludos

Old 02-24-2014, 04:17 AM   #7212
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:

Well, I ordered the center stand thru ICOLMOTOS YAMAHA, they are the assembler and importer and official agent for Yamaha in Colombia, and I realized now they have used the same parts catalog for a 2011 ST.

They have there the parts catalog. If the link does not work go to REPUESTOS and the DESPIEZE DE MODELOS and look for the ST.

It is worth pointing out that you need to order the whole kit of bolts, nuts, springs and rubber top.

Roberto, I saw in you pics that you have 21 inch front tires. I what to know more about it, can you post info about it, or can u tell about other forums? My email is Jmvalderrama@yahoo.com if is the case

Saludos

I was in ICOLMOTOS, Medellin when they had the first one in. The Bikes designer, Hisashi Fujii, was there too.

They were already talking about fitting a centre stand to the one they had. So they probably have experience of it already.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #7213
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Gracias Juan

Quote:

Saludos
Many thanks Juan, I ordered the centerstand from StadiumYamaha in USA and thanks to your post I will order the remaining nuts, bolts, springs and rubber stopper from them.
My 21 inch front and 18 inch rear were ordered to Woodys Wheel Works and came complete with hub and spokes, also sealed for tubeless but I recommend not to seal them and use tubes. Very good service and not expensive if you consider the prices they charge in our countries. I had the discs (3) so I ordered the special bolts to fit them in the wheels. They also fitted the sensor rotors. Highly recommended. For the rear I had to reorder another rim (3.5") to fit a wider tyre (140-80-18) because the 2.5" they originally provided could not hold well a Heidenau K60 in dirt roads.
Saludos desde Chile,
Roberto
Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #7214
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Roberto, thank you. How do you like that set up 18/21", giving the massive size of the 17" OEM tire? Why did u decide to change the rear wheel also? The ST's geometry and it's 19 " front tire makes it very easy to steer and counter steer, the new 21" makes a whole difference? And finally I beat the 21 on dirt is superior, specially for very deteriorated roads.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá - Colombia.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #7215
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrics36 View Post
I don't know about the blue. Just picked mine up yesterday ... not a single girl yet!! You think it's the stock panniers?
I think it's more the old "It ain't the bike" mantra.

Just breaking her in to answer to the finger snap.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote