Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #1156
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Interesting conundrum for the designers though. Make it low for the rough stiff and then the asphalt people start wining about the lurch from 1st to second. Maybe they need a 2 speed "transfer case". Electronic of course.

Maybe they just need to come out with some kits for the gearbox instead of Worldcrosser farkles for the gnarly Adventurers.
Ah yes, a dual range gear-box (like the old Honda Trail 90) would be a great idea!

-steve
Old 01-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #1157
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepsd View Post
Ah yes, a dual range gear-box (like the old Honda Trail 90) would be a great idea!

-steve
I keep telling everyone the postie bike is the Adventure bike which others are judged against..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #1158
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW View Post
llamapacker,

What's the blue "2" below the speedo?

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

I didnt look closely enough obviously.

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #1159
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Interesting conundrum for the designers though. Make it low for the rough stiff and then the asphalt people start wining about the lurch from 1st to second. Maybe they need a 2 speed "transfer case". Electronic of course.

Maybe they just need to come out with some kits for the gearbox instead of Worldcrosser farkles for the gnarly Adventurers.
Yep dual range just like a TC185 Suzi. It would stop one from snagging the left leg of you flares over the gearlever, preventing the left leg from being put on the road and allowing the bike to fall over in the middle of Broadway. Purely a hypothetical situation mind you. From memory the Suzuki was flat out at 15kmh in low first.

Al

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #1160
whitedelight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
My Baby

Here is my baby.....
Attached Images

2005 vrcsa VRod
2006 DRZ400SM
whitedelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #1161
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedelight View Post
Here is my baby.....

Great pic!...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #1162
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,672
Two months ago I did a test ride with no intentions of buying one of these, look at me now.

First day out today. 200 miles of twisty, I have no idea how it handles a freeway yet . 100 miles of it in the rain, had a great chance to try out the traction control and ABS and this thing is all it's cracked up to be.

I'm sure I'll be loading this thread up with pics soon. Last time you'll see it this stock, or this clean!

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #1163
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 867
Saso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #1164
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW View Post
Altrider bars
SW Motech skid plate
Wasp decals
Tech Spec tank protectors
That's one sweet looking machine. I've been thinking of selling my Wee and moving up to the Tenere. About the only thing I'd be giving up is some fuel economy.
Did you have any difficulty installing the Altrider bars/bash plate? I put the AR bars on my Wee and will choose them again for my next DS bike.
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #1165
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Two months ago I did a test ride with no intentions of buying one of these, look at me now.

First day out today. 200 miles of twisty, I have no idea how it handles a freeway yet . 100 miles of it in the rain, had a great chance to try out the traction control and ABS and this thing is all it's cracked up to be.

I'm sure I'll be loading this thread up with pics soon. Last time you'll see it this stock, or this clean!
ONYA Mate, Been watching with interest how you'd go.

I see you got the fast one.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #1166
BHumW
so many roads...

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantajustride View Post
That's one sweet looking machine. I've been thinking of selling my Wee and moving up to the Tenere. About the only thing I'd be giving up is some fuel economy.
Did you have any difficulty installing the Altrider bars/bash plate? I put the AR bars on my Wee and will choose them again for my next DS bike.
An extra hand would have been helpful to hold things while getting the fasteners started but other than that, no problem.
BHumW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #1167
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantajustride View Post
About the only thing I'd be giving up is some fuel economy.
But only a little... my 2006 Wee used to average 48mpg (country), the S10 will often get close to that and averages 43. If you're commuting though you'll see a bigger difference. Stop-go traffic has less impact on the Wee.

Trevor
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #1168
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post

Very nice and inspirational. The more I read the positive feedback on these bikes the more I like them. I have enjoyed my 2 test rides but it's you lucky bastards that get to actually ride the wheels off them in the real world that are going to push me over the edge to selling my Vstrom and putting my money down on one of these bikes. The wife liked the co-pilot quarters so no issues there.

Keep the good (and the bad) news coming along with the great pix out in the real world, PLEASE.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #1169
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Very nice and inspirational. The more I read the positive feedback on these bikes the more I like them. I have enjoyed my 2 test rides but it's you lucky bastards that get to actually ride the wheels off them in the real world that are going to push me over the edge to selling my Vstrom and putting my money down on one of these bikes. The wife liked the co-pilot quarters so no issues there.

Keep the good (and the bad) news coming along with the great pix out in the real world, PLEASE.
I sold my 1000 Strom and bought an S10 a week later. I liked my Strom. It had nothing to do
with the bike. A neighbor asked to buy it, I wasn't using it as much, so I sold it. A week later
a dealer I had left my name with to call if they had an S10 I could look at called. I thought
I was done with big D/S bikes. Just wanted to look.

Love at first sight. Sat on it, started the motor asked if they had any accessories available and came back
the next day to pick it up.

Power wise the the Strom it's not that different. Where it shines is where you wish a Strom had more
here and there the S10 has it. It feels larger, higher and more capable.

Off road there is no comparison. The suspension is so much better than the Strom. You don't find
yourself trying to limit what you think the bike can do. With the Strom I always tried to make sure the
trail wasn't very technical, no pipe bashing rocks, ruts, mud or sandy areas. With the S10 I don't
screen the roads so much. It so far has surprised me with what and where it so willingly goes.

Pavement handling is superior as well.

I'm not harshing on Stroms. For the money and all things considered they are still a great ride.
Just compared to the S10 they are out of their league.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #1170
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 439
Thread question.

How will i know a dealer is not selling a pre-tenere as one of the newer shipments? Thus marking it up and making more money from me.
I went into 2 dealers a while back that had the pre Tenere on the floor. Went there just recently and both bikes are were still there but they were the latest versions but they really look like the first one they had on the floor and they are saying it is the newer one. Which could be correct but how can I know? Is there a certain ID number verses the newer models?

Thanks,
Boulder.

bouldertag screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 12:52 PM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote