ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #16
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Sounds good. Do you have a good GPS unit? Right now I only have a TOM TOM I hae been thrashing. I can get some maps if I know where we might go.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #17
bennyhana73
Seeker

Oddometer: 88
Thumb Riding Partners....

Hey all, just saw this and I am always up for good day or weekend rides/camping and such. However I live down by Carson City, but have family in Paradise, and am always running back and forth. Would love to link up and explore the country up there, and vice versa, if anyone wants to explore old ghost towns and mining towns, let me know. I know lots of locations, and am, as I said, always up for good rides. Let me know. I have a couple guys I ride with currently, but they mostly do single track stuff, and the old KLR is just a little heavy for my small ass to be playing Motocross Rider. Thanks, and look forward in advance to hearing from anyone.
bennyhana73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I don't have a GPS at all. I was actually looking at them last night. I'm thinking about getting one if I can stay at or under $200. I don't know if that would be possible if I want it to be waterproof and have topo and road maps included. I think I will try and find some good trail maps for the area first, since those are a good thing to have anyway. A GPS would have been really useful yesterday because I took a couple of wrong turns and luckily figured out where I was since the roads I was on were on the edge of my road map. I'll try and find a couple of options for rides this weekend. I'll put up the idea on the DR650 thread as well.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Sunday looks like a good day for me. my new to me GranCanyon has not been off the pavement yet and it is about time. I'm in Oroville. JB
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

I can do Sunday. It looks like there is a road that goes from Philbrook reservoir up to Lake Almanor. It could be fun, but I'll have to look at the elevation compared to the High Lakes trails to make sure it's not also covered in snow.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like part of the route I was thinking climbs above 6500' so I think there would be snow. I'm going to see if there is a way that stays under 6000'. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...51562&t=p&z=12
Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #22
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Nah, you're good. I just took that on the July 4th weekend. There's snow along the sides at the top but the road is clear. It's a nice ride. Easy fire roads but lots of opportunity to explore double tracks off through the woods.

There's a little shortcut that goes through Grizzly Creek Meadow. Beautiful spot.

Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:03 PM   #23
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

We Could Meet In The Parking Lot At Coutolenc Adn The Skyway And Go From There. Earlier Would Be Better To Keep It Cool. There's Roads That Go All The Way To Lassen Also.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #24
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline
Nah, you're good. I just took that on the July 4th weekend. There's snow along the sides at the top but the road is clear. It's a nice ride. Easy fire roads but lots of opportunity to explore double tracks off through the woods.

There's a little shortcut that goes through Grizzly Creek Meadow. Beautiful spot.

Thanks for the update. I would definitely be interested in this ride on Sunday. We could take it up to the lake and then ride up to Chester and get some food and head back. Meeting at Coutolenc and Skyway is fine. Is there a specific parking lot? I agree with meeting up early. Let's get a list of who's going so we can see how early we can go. So....who's in?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #25
obadiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
In

I live down closer to Sac but I've been wanting to explore up there for a while. I have no trouble waking up early to get up there for a good day in the dirt. What is the difficulty level? I'm on an 1150GS with Tourances so nothing past the 7 range I hope.

Obadiah
Old 07-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #26
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by obadiah
I live down closer to Sac but I've been wanting to explore up there for a while. I have no trouble waking up early to get up there for a good day in the dirt. What is the difficulty level? I'm on an 1150GS with Tourances so nothing past the 7 range I hope.

Obadiah
I don't know the difficulty scale, but Redline said it is mainly easy fire roads. It'd be great if you could make it. I haven't met anyone in the area so it would be cool to get a few people to come.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #27
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

This is a totally doable route. I ve done it and have Michelin Pilot roads. Its pretty much gravel all the way with some rough spots you go slow over.

Coutolenc and skyway east side 7 ish????? Sunday.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #28
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,732
Cry Sure wish I could join you guys, Just can't...

this weekend. Will be up there next weekend as my mother lives just 2 miles up from the parking area you're talking about. I want to get up that way sooooo bad and do some riding. maybe next time.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #29
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
this weekend. Will be up there next weekend as my mother lives just 2 miles up from the parking area you're talking about. I want to get up that way sooooo bad and do some riding. maybe next time.
so lets ride next weekend too.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #30
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll be there!

I'll be there 7:00 on Sunday. I have a GPS in the mail that won't be here until later next week, but another ride that weekend would be fun to test it out.