User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
airengineer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Gloves - Held Steve I&II, Lee Parks Deersports, Motoport Kevlar

I looked high and low for information on good gloves for the street (not track) both here and on Maximum Suzuki but there isn't a ton of opinions out there. So, asking here for input on these gloves; your experience, would you buy them again, what to look out for, etc.

Held Steve versions I and II

Lee Parks Design Deersports gauntlets

Motoport Kevlar Racing Gloves

Opinions on other gloves welcome but the gloves have to fit over the cuff of the Motoport Marathon jacket which is rather bulky. I'm not sure that the more race-oriented gloves like Alpinestars GP Pro would fit over the Motoport sleeves.

As always, thanks in advance for any help,
Airengineer
'99 1200S - Full Hindle S/S w/ Titanium oval, HS 5-deg, K&N Duals, 150's, 35's @ 3-1/2, HS Needles - 3rd grv, floats 16mm, tees pointed DOWN, Autolite 4162 plugs, Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40, Michelin Pilot Roads F/R, -318 O-ring cruise, '08 GSXR shock, Race-Tech by Rick fork upgrade, Tokico 6-pots w/ EBC HH pads, S/S twin line. Coming this winter; slingshot head P&P by Dye, GSXR intake.
airengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
I have tried on the LeeParks ones at a recent bike show...brilliant. Extremely nice, fit like...well, a glove Trouble is I had already purchased the Aerostich Elkskin gauntlets, or I would have bought the LeeParks after trying for sure. That said I am VERY happy with my Elkskin gauntlets. I wanted an old fashion style glove with good feel, the Elkskins fill the bill nicely and get better with each time I wear them.

Gauntlet on the Elkskins are soft though, as are the LeeParks (although the Parks are much longer gauntlet) and don't hold form like many of the RR style gloves. I've not had any issue with them covering over bulky cuffs, but it sometimes takes a little fiddling. The other, and often better option with these soft cuff gloves is to wear them "under" your jacket cuffs. This is warmer and dryer in most cases and works very well on Motoport jackets.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
I'm a glove whore. Must have ten pair laying around. In all but really hot or wet weather I reach for the Held Steve I. I absolutely love that glove!
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
I have a pair of Motoport Kevlars..

They're cooler than my elkskin ropers, but less comfortable as well. The seams in the fingers are pretty bulky, perhaps due to the material. The gloves I have are XL's and still squeezed my fingers a bit to begin with, but the fingers are all a 1/2" too long. I typically fall right on the line between M and L in other glove sizes. Other than the fingers being a little tight, after 1000 miles in the gloves they're broken in for me and fit OK. I had to modify the velcro wrist straps so they wouldn't pull through the rings when I was putting them on. I also added tabs to the gauntlet velcro so it is easier to undo when wearing both gloves. I do like that the gauntlet is not bulky and easily fits under my jacket cuff.

I'd rather get something with a kangaroo palm for the feel and grip. The added material on the palm and fingers of the motoport is a little on the slick side so during cruising times on the bike when my grip is a bit relaxed the throttle tends to O-so-slowly slip back.

I wouldn't recommend the Motoport Racing gloves, unless you can find them for 50$. 129$ for what you get is too much money when there are better alternatives for the same price.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
coach03860
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox
I'm a glove whore. Must have ten pair laying around. In all but really hot or wet weather I reach for the Held Steve I. I absolutely love that glove!
I also vote for the HELD STEVE, however I would have to say they are neither waterproof or warm...just very comfortable. In cold weather I will put a ski glove liner inside and in really heavy rain I cover them with black rubber rain gloves similar to sturdy dish washing gloves. That combo is 100% water proof and it's EZ to pull off the overgloves when the rain stops. In my experience the STEVES do streach out a bit, so I would buy them a little snug when new. Hope this helps......
And well over a dozen other bikes bought and sold that I loose track of...but my wife constantly reminds me of
coach03860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by airengineer
Opinions on other gloves welcome but the gloves have to fit over the cuff of the Motoport Marathon jacket which is rather bulky. I'm not sure that the more race-oriented gloves like Alpinestars GP Pro would fit over the Motoport sleeves.
My Steves fit over the cuffs of my Motoport GP2 jacket without trouble. I like the Steves. That is all.
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,886
I wore Held Steve's for 4 years and loved them. They are great gloves, and extremely versatile in different temps. I could wear them from low 50's with heated grips up to as hot as it gets. The key to that is being able to wear the gauntlet under the cuff allowing air up sleeves.

Now, I'm wearing Racer High End's and they are amazing. Not quite as versatile thanks to the big gauntlet, but just as comfortable with all the protection of a full blown race glove. Gotta say though, I prefer the foam padding to all the carbon. Also, I hate all the seams. They're comfortable, but given a choice I'd prefer not to have as many potential burst spots.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../racer-gloves/

Have you considered Helimot? If I was to do it again, I'd look long and hard at the Buffalo 365 glove.
http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=65
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
alzyck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
The anti-Steve opinion

I picked up a new pair of Held Steve gloves a couple years ago. Totally comfortable, awesome actually, but they fell apart in less than one riding season and like 5,000 miles of riding. The stitching fell out around the finger tips.

I get that quality issues can happen, but when I tried to contact Held, they never responded back. I tossed them. I also have some Held perf summer gloves that seem to be holding up OK, but based on my bad customer service experience, I wouldn't go with Held again. Too many other good choices.

I've had good luck with Aerostich elk skin gauntlets and with BMW gloves. Quality on both is good. Aerostich customer service has been excellent. My BMW customer service has also been excellent, but since it's a local dealer I don't know how that translates to other dealers.
alzyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Have you considered Helimot? If I was to do it again, I'd look long and hard at the Buffalo 365 glove.
http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=65
+1 on the Helimot for quality. I've got a pair of the F108's that I got a year ago for warm weather riding. Kangaroo leather palms, and very nice attention to detail.

Only thing I don't like is bulky Gauntlets, but I'm not a fan of gauntlets anyhow.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
Another Glove Whore

I love my Steves. I've owned them for three years and they are by far my favorite. They are very well made and offer good protection. Of course, for the price you pay, they SHOULD be great gloves.

I own the Lee Parks gloves too. They are of good quality, but the fit was wierd (on ME) after they got really broken in. They also tend to fade a lot.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #11
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Lee Parks Design Deersports gauntlets

Tried some at Americade one year and they were awesome. I was feeling cheap and already had too many pairs lying around. Saw a pair in the Flea Market here and snapped them up. They are fantastic feeling. Nicest gloves I've ever owned. Like my Elkskins, my BMW summers, BMW GS, Stich insulated gauntlet but if I had to take one pair it would be these.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni
I've got a pair of the F108's that I got a year ago for warm weather riding
Do the F108's work as well as they claim in hot weather?

I've never liked big gauntlets either, but these Racer gloves are so nice I'm slowly being converted. Problem is that the gauntlet is so big I can't fit it under cuff which forces me to shorty gloves in warm weather. I don't like the lack of protection considering all the photos I've seen of people with short gloves ending up with rash on wrists.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Jibby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I have the Lee Park Deer skin Gauntlets with the Outlast lining and the Motoport kevlar racing gloves. Can't speak to the Held's.

I've had the Lee Parks for a few years and love them. The outlast really works in regards to temperature modulation. They are warm when it's cold. Especially with the heated grips. They spread the heat around nicely and with the handguards, the heat make it to the back of the hands more. On hotter days, the Outlast does a good job of keeping my hands cool. Unless it's super hot. The Gauntlet fits over the sleeve but just.

The Motoports are as described previously. Seams inside feel bulky and they are not the moat comfortable. They do breathe really well for hot days and the protection seem top-notch. I got them with my Motoport suit a month or so ago. Being Kevlar, they're not likely to break in much. I wear the XL's and they still squeeze but the next size up was too big. Other than that, the fit is good.

They are thick in the palm so the feel on the throttle is a bit numb. The palm is also very rough and I have heard that it can wear down the grips like sand paper.

I still find myself going with the Lee Parks most of the time. They are like Butter.
Jibby
Jibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
airengineer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT
LeeParks (although the Parks are much longer gauntlet) and don't hold form like many of the RR style gloves. I've not had any issue with them covering over bulky cuffs, but it sometimes takes a little fiddling. The other, and often better option with these soft cuff gloves is to wear them "under" your jacket cuffs. This is warmer and dryer in most cases and works very well on Motoport jackets.
I hadn't thought of wearing the glove under the jacket to improve air flow. This brings up a question for summer riding; Lee Parks also offers the DeerTours without the gauntlet.

Anyone using the shorter DeerTours? Do they cover the wrist adequately in case of a slide? The thought of 'grinding down my wrist bone' makes me "squidgy" if you know what I mean.

Air
'99 1200S - Full Hindle S/S w/ Titanium oval, HS 5-deg, K&N Duals, 150's, 35's @ 3-1/2, HS Needles - 3rd grv, floats 16mm, tees pointed DOWN, Autolite 4162 plugs, Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40, Michelin Pilot Roads F/R, -318 O-ring cruise, '08 GSXR shock, Race-Tech by Rick fork upgrade, Tokico 6-pots w/ EBC HH pads, S/S twin line. Coming this winter; slingshot head P&P by Dye, GSXR intake.
airengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by airengineer
Held Steve versions I and II, Lee Parks Design Deersports gauntlets, Motoport Kevlar Racing Gloves

I rode with Helds until they changed their last and the quality and fit of their gloves fell. I had 4 pairs of Lee Parks but I just decided I didn't want to crash in them and they were cold and sucked up even a light rain.

I recently bought a MotoPort Suit and you get a free set of their kevlar racing gloves I ordered the free set of gloves in a size to fit a new rider we know in the Cdn Forces. We gave him a set of Helimots when he got his first bike and now he has the Motoports as a spare set.

I have been stockpiling Helimot gloves because I have never ridden with a nicer pair of gloves. I have multiple pairs of both the Buffalo Pros and the F 108's for warm weather.

Here is thread on Helimot Gloves

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310707
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote