Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Do the F108's work as well as they claim in hot weather?

I've never liked big gauntlets either, but these Racer gloves are so nice I'm slowly being converted. Problem is that the gauntlet is so big I can't fit it under cuff which forces me to shorty gloves in warm weather. I don't like the lack of protection considering all the photos I've seen of people with short gloves ending up with rash on wrists.
They're pretty good in the heat. Nothing close to the older pair of mesh gloves I used to wear, but thats an ok compromise to the level of protection they offer compared to my old mesh gloves.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
THe Helimots are as comfortable as the Lee Parks gloves and offer better protection. I can just my Motoport Mesh suit arms over the F108 gauntlet, but it is a little tedious stuffing the gauntlet unto the sleeve. I use the Buffalo 365's for cool weather with the Aerostich three finger mitt in the rain. THe F108's work well in the heat, and when it gets really hot, you can soak them in water. People have had problems with Held Steve's coming apart at the seams. Other than the price, I can't undersand why everybody doesn't buy Helimot gloves, they offer best in class comfort, quality, service, and protection.
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #18
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by airengineer
Anyone using the shorter DeerTours? Do they cover the wrist adequately in case of a slide? The thought of 'grinding down my wrist bone' makes me "squidgy" if you know what I mean.

Air
I can't speak for the Parks, but I have a pair of the Aerostich Competition Ropers. They are long enough to cover the wrist bone in the event of a slide, fingers first, although the cuff part would roll up and expose the wrist bone in a slide where elbow is leading the hand (if that makes sense). I do LOVE them for around town riding though and they suit the old Triumph (T100C).
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #19
airengineer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT
I can't speak for the Parks, but I have a pair of the Aerostich Competition Ropers. They are long enough to cover the wrist bone in the event of a slide, fingers first, although the cuff part would roll up and expose the wrist bone in a slide where elbow is leading the hand (if that makes sense). I do LOVE them for around town riding though and they suit the old Triumph (T100C).
Makes sense to me. I'm guessing that the jacket will keep the glove cuffs down. How are those seams on a longer ride? Do they start to rub?
Air
'99 1200S - Full Hindle S/S w/ Titanium oval, HS 5-deg, K&N Duals, 150's, 35's @ 3-1/2, HS Needles - 3rd grv, floats 16mm, tees pointed DOWN, Autolite 4162 plugs, Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40, Michelin Pilot Roads F/R, -318 O-ring cruise, '08 GSXR shock, Race-Tech by Rick fork upgrade, Tokico 6-pots w/ EBC HH pads, S/S twin line. Coming this winter; slingshot head P&P by Dye, GSXR intake.
airengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
airengineer OP
Adventurer

I should have been a bit more specific in that I wasn't as interested in seasonal aspects as I was in excellent protection. We're quite a bit more moderate in the summer with temps going in the low 80's occasionally and rarely into the 90's anymore. Nights are cool and the Motoport stretch Kevlar Marathon is usually zipped and sealed in the evening. Having said that, I am glad that I omitted saying so because I learned about some other options for cold autumn commutes.

So far it sounds like the Motoport gloves lack sensitivity to the grip, have bulky seams and construction and are stiff but breath well.

The Lee Parks are well received, have sensitive palms, are very comfortable and soak up water. Price isn't too bad at $115 shipped.

Held Steve's sound great except for those nagging threads about burst seams in an accident. That gives me cause for concern. I have read a couple of items somewhere regarding the smaller rivets getting caught in rather than sliding across pavement. Steve I's are going for about $120 but sizes are getting scarce. Steve II's at $160.

I had not heard of the Helimot gloves but they appear to have the comfort of the Lee Parks with improved padding and are well liked by their owners. I'm guessing they'll sponge some water too because of the elkskin? I especially like the fact that they will custom fit gloves. Unlike several of the posters, I have long fingers so my problem is usually running out of finger tip space. Buffalo 365's are $180 a pair.

I had not heard of the Racer High End either. They have several features that I'm interested in; the kangaroo palm, the larger heel sliders, and from reading posts elsewhere, the joined pinky and ring fingers. $199 seems to be the going price on these.

The other issue I'm going to have is fitment without spending a fortune in shipping. Sometimes I think it would be nice to live in California... ..

Decisions, decisions.
'99 1200S - Full Hindle S/S w/ Titanium oval, HS 5-deg, K&N Duals, 150's, 35's @ 3-1/2, HS Needles - 3rd grv, floats 16mm, tees pointed DOWN, Autolite 4162 plugs, Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40, Michelin Pilot Roads F/R, -318 O-ring cruise, '08 GSXR shock, Race-Tech by Rick fork upgrade, Tokico 6-pots w/ EBC HH pads, S/S twin line. Coming this winter; slingshot head P&P by Dye, GSXR intake.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #21
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Quote:

I had not heard of the Racer High End either. They have several features that I'm interested in; the kangaroo palm, the larger heel sliders, and from reading posts elsewhere, the joined pinky and ring fingers. $199 seems to be the going price on these.
Sounds like you about nailed it! Just FYI, the Racer gloves run about a size small. Most of my gloves are L, Racer are XL.

Also, I never had a problem with my Steve's. It does seem to be hit or miss.

Another thing I just thought of. I must have really narrow wrists. Most gloves do not tighten enough around my wrist including the Steve's. Racer though tightens perfectly. Something to consider. Helimot/Lee Parks can customize. Held and Racer can't.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #22
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Makes sense to me. I'm guessing that the jacket will keep the glove cuffs down. How are those seams on a longer ride? Do they start to rub?
Air
Nope. Very well thought out seam locations.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #23
airengineer OP
Adventurer

After poring over more sites, I realized that the Racer High Tech and the Alpinestars only have a strap on the gauntlet. I'm concerned that the glove could pull of my hand in a slide because the sleeve of my Marathon is so large. A wrist strap is going to keep the glove on my hand.

If I had to choose right now, it's going to be between Lee Parks and the Helimots; maybe both. I'm thinking DeerTours without the gauntlet to go under the jacket in the summer, and the Helimot Buffalo 365's for colder weather. I have to talk to Lee Parks first about the cuff length on those DeerTours. The Steve II's aren't out of the running yet .. . ..

Air
Old 06-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #24
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
Since all of the mentioned gloves are not wholly perfect it may be time to up the ante. Held Phantom. Double kangaroo, carbon knuckle/wristbone, stingray lower/side palm. It also exhibits what we euphemistically call "extreme construction" which is the glove's ability to stay on indefinitely while placing your hand firmly into a handlebar grip position. Actually less fatiguing than lighter gloves including the Held Steve. A feature that has made the Phantom very popular for tourers. At $279 not the most expensive Held (the Titan is at $349) but understandably a greater investment.

Re: Steve seams coming apart. No reports from our clients but will look into this with the manufacturer.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #25
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I've owned many, many gloves in the last 20 years but my favorites are the Held Steve's I've owned for the last three years. There is some break-in required but they are supremely comfortable after that period is passed. They offer good protection without screaming "boyracer". The seams are comfortable and they have small details like Nomex under the metal palm studs to keep the heat from a slide on pavement transferring to your hand. I always reach for them first for a ride unless it's over 85 degrees. In that case, I grab my Held Namib's. The Namibs have a carbon/plastic knuckle guard that's perfect for punching off SUV mirrors and I crash tested mine when I went over the handlebars going 40+ on my dirtbike into a rockpile. I also dumped my daughter's pitbike wearing them in the driveway doing wheelies(yes, I am an idiot). They are unfazed.

Don't dismiss the squeegee on the left index finger. It is a REALLY nice feature in the rain or even on hot summer nights when it comes in handy wiping bugs off your visor without smearing their guts everywhere.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
airengineer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
Since all of the mentioned gloves are not wholly perfect it may be time to up the ante. Held Phantom. Double kangaroo, carbon knuckle/wristbone, stingray lower/side palm. It also exhibits what we euphemistically call "extreme construction" which is the glove's ability to stay on indefinitely while placing your hand firmly into a handlebar grip position. Actually less fatiguing than lighter gloves including the Held Steve. A feature that has made the Phantom very popular for tourers. At $279 not the most expensive Held (the Titan is at $349) but understandably a greater investment.
Hmmmm ....... ...... . . .
Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,038
Quote:
After poring over more sites, I realized that the Racer High Tech and the Alpinestars only have a strap on the gauntlet.
If you mean the Racer High End, they do have a wrist strap and a gauntlet strap. I've never had gloves that felt like they were not going anywhere like these do. It's all about individual fit, but I can't imagine a glove fitting better.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #28
airengineer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
If you mean the Racer High End, they do have a wrist strap and a gauntlet strap. I've never had gloves that felt like they were not going anywhere like these do. It's all about individual fit, but I can't imagine a glove fitting better.
Glad I said something about the strap, puts the Racers back on the list of possibles.

Thanks,
Air
Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #29
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,942
Quote:
//Held Steve's sound great except for those nagging threads about burst seams in an accident. That gives me cause for concern. I have read a couple of items somewhere regarding the smaller rivets getting caught in rather than sliding across pavement. Steve I's are going for about $120 but sizes are getting scarce. Steve II's at $160.
//
I think that's more a function of a small number of problems reported for a product on the market a long time and a lot of people wearing them.

I got hit from the side by a Honda Accord at around 40mph. Landed on my left hand and slid. It wore through the leather without any "seam bursting." If you want a feel for how much abuse they took, take a look at the rivets. Replaced with a new pair of Steves.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #30
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
+5 or +6 on the Held Steves

I've found the Steves to be very comfortable and very versatile. I wear them comfortably in temps from the low 40s (with heated grips and 12GS handguards) to the upper 80s. I've had my current pair for five years and probably 40,000 miles of riding and they're still going strong: still supple, stitching is perfect, and the velcro works fine. They allow a great feel of the bike. Keep in mind that I don't wear them during the sweaty Texas summer months, or when its raining. They've gotten a little wet a number of times with no ill effect, but if it really storms I pull over and put on rain gloves.

After all those miles I can tell where the Steves will eventually fail. It'll be on the fingertips where I depress the clutch and the brake. The leather there is getting very thin, and one day I expect to see it worn through on one of the index or middle fingers. Not to worry, though, as I bought their replacements, another pair of Steves (the black and red ones), a couple of years ago when I found them for sale at my local dealership!

In the summers I wear Held's Air gloves which aren't as comfy as the Steves, but are mesh and let a lot of air through. They also have great feel. They don't last more than a couple of summers, either, as the heavy duty sweat gets to them faster.

BTW, all of this is about the Steves I. I have no experience with the Steves II. But, my experience is so good that I wouldn't hesitate to by the second version.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote