User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
thisisbenji OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Is More Really Better?!

When it comes to touring on a motorcycle it seems the theme is "more is better". However, I'm not sure that this is true. My mind always seems to tell me "less is better" when it comes to motorcycles.

What exactly makes a good touring bike?

For me it just has to have handlebars, low-weight, and not much complication.

The perfect touring bike for me would be something like a Street Triple or a Yamaha FZ07/09. I just don't see why someone would purchase a BMW R1200RT or something similar over a smaller, more agile, and cheaper bike?

It kind of brings me back to the thread that got me to start reading ADVrider, the one where Antihero toured the U.S. on his Panigale.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
1. Reliability. Breaking down sucks.
2. Comfort. Pain sucks.

Everything else is negotiable as far as I'm concerned, although I agree with you in general. I've looked at various touring bikes and can't seem to get excited about 600 - 700 pound behemoths.

Edit: This is the perfect touring bike for me except......its 27 years old and I sometimes question the wisdom of a fat, old, greybeard riding solo hundreds of miles from home on what has somehow become an antique.

"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."

Mobiker screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 09:04 AM
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
thisisbenji OP
Adventurer

Your bike is the type of motorcycle I could actually picture myself riding long distances on! Your right about the reliability thing though, that would be a bit scary. You could always pick up one of those modern retro bikes when that one bites the dust.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
The old "you can tour on anything" credo will never die, nor should it. But we are fortunate in that there are almost infinite choices on the continuum between adventure and comfort.

Weather protection and stability in cross breezes are two big advantages that sometimes go with riding a bigger machine. I've been on long trips where my enjoyment was diminished because I couldn't stop thinking about the cold, or because I had to stay focused on how the next big gust was going to affect my line.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,075
Quote:
When it comes to touring on a motorcycle it seems the theme is "more is better". However, I'm not sure that this is true. My mind always seems to tell me "less is better" when it comes to motorcycles.

For me it just has to have handlebars, low-weight, and not much complication.

The perfect touring bike for me would be something like a Street Triple or a Yamaha FZ07/09. I just don't see why someone would purchase a BMW R1200RT or something similar over a smaller, more agile, and cheaper bike?

It kind of brings me back to the thread that got me to start reading ADVrider, the one where Antihero toured the U.S. on his Panigale.
I like the way you think. Lighter is righter.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #6
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,844
The hot touring setup:
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,378
When Touring, I've NEVER wished I was on a smaller bike. Especially on the open roads of the USA. I even toured around Japan on a R1200RT with their small roads. Modern touring bikes aren't the land barges of the 80s/90s... I've owned a Speed Triple and I've done 400 mile days on it, but it would not be my choice of a bike to tour on.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrider300 View Post
The old "you can tour on anything" credo will never die, nor should it. But we are fortunate in that there are almost infinite choices on the continuum between adventure and comfort.

Weather protection and stability in cross breezes are two big advantages that sometimes go with riding a bigger machine. I've been on long trips where my enjoyment was diminished because I couldn't stop thinking about the cold, or because I had to stay focused on how the next big gust was going to affect my line.
In 2010 I went with a group of guys on a long trip out west. There were 10 bikes total. I was on a DL1000. Another guy was on a 1970 Norton Commando. Still another on a Kawasaki Vulcan 900. ALL the rest of the bikes were HD Electra Glides,Road Kings, nd one Softtail. The plan was to go to the Black Hills for 2 days, then go to the Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

We made it to the Black Hills after 2.5 days. After riding that area for a couple of days, our group split in two. Five of the guys said they were tired. Rather than go on the next day to Yellowstone as planned, they wanted to just spend a day there at the motel and then take a shorter loop getting back, via the Rocky Mtn NP in Colorado. So we all stayed another day in the Black Hills. That's the day I went to Devils Tower. The next day, the "tired guys" were still at the motel when we left for Yellowstone. The "tired guys" were riding 3 Electra Glides, one Road King, and one Softtail. The five that continued were the Norton, Vulcan 900, EG, RK, and V-Strom.

And guess what? Once we finally did head back, the five of us split again. The guy on the EG had a family emergency and had to get back in a hurry. He knocked out over 1500 miles non stop. I had flat and had to detour to Colorado to get a new tire. Spent most of a day at a BMW/Triumph shop there. And I still beat all the others getting back, except the guy that did the 1500 mile day.

It just really surprised me that the guys on the big luxury bikes were the first ones to tap out.

The Norton broke down multiple times, but each time the guy riding it was able to repair it and get it back on the road. It was a bit of a PITA waiting on him though. The first bike to break was an EG. I stayed with him while the rest of the guys went on. He had to be towed to the nearest HD shop. They got him going again after a few hours, and he only broke down twice more that day. We caught up with the other eight guys in SD just before making the Black Hills.

Bikes L_R: Norton (mostly out of the pic), Vulcan 900 with a big man riding it, EG (the 1500 mile day guy), EG, DL1000 (me), EG, EG, RK, not pictured RK and Softtail.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #9
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,075
Can tour on anything, depending on the rider. People tour on CT70's, Goldwings, and everything in between.

I tour on this. I wouldn't mind it being 100lbs lighter, but that would mean giving up on the shaft, electric shield, weather protection, stability and some comfort.
Lighter does not always mean better. At least not for me and this little guy.

[IMG]http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...psaarizc3e.png[/IMG]

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!

Maggot12 screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 10:11 AM
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #10
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Ill pitch my vote into the less is more camp. At the beginning middle and end of the day, i want a bike that rides the way i want it to whether for 100 miles or 500. I personally dont want some huge luxo barge; i like something that handles well, is light, and goes where i want it to. And yes - reliability is key, with ease of repairs second.

I loved long trips on my r100gspd, tho with heated grips it wasnt without creature comforts. I just took my 919 on a 1600 mile weekend trip and it was great, even in wind rain and a bit of snow. I always pack as light as i can, i just live in my leathers. The big question for me is road bike vs dual sport.
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
ARiderX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer View Post
I personally dont want some huge luxo barge; i like something that handles well, is light, and goes where i want it to.
The thing is, now you can have both. As was said before, it's not the 1980s anymore. Big tourers are not the land barges they used to be. A 1200RT might be close to 600 pounds (don't know, just a guess) but probably rides lighter and has quicker steering than any of the old 600-1000cc suzukis and kawasakis from back in the day.

Today, weight is very much a non issue, and almost always blown way out of proportion. Especially on road-only bikes. (ok, 800 pounds for full dress v-twins is too much, but most sport touring bikes are around 600 pounds or less. FJR's, RT's, VFR1200, K1300S, Concours 1400, ...)
Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,865
In the days of 55 MPH speed limits you could take a small bike out on the secondary roads and feel safe, and I did. Now if your bike can't cruise comfortably at 75 you're going to get drafted, cut off, flipped off and bad karma willed upon you.

It's a faster world out there, stay safe.
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
thisisbenji OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
In the days of 55 MPH speed limits you could take a small bike out on the secondary roads and feel safe, and I did. Now if your bike can't cruise comfortably at 75 you're going to get drafted, cut off, flipped off and bad karma willed upon you.

I'm not talking 125s, my definition of small is more like FZ07, Monster 821, FZ09, Street Triple, SV650, etc. Something that's right around 400 lbs ready to ride and has 70+ hp.

thisisbenji screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 12:41 PM
Old 06-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
SZRimaging
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post

As someone who is looking to take his 250 on an 800+ mile trip, all I can say is, you can still cruise those backroads at 55mph just fine. Yes, the freeway makes it faster, but you can still run cross country without it.

That said, as a touring bike, I am firmly in the "middle weight" camp. 650cc to 1000cc twins for me, please.
SZRimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #15
CvFactor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
I'm not talking 125s, my definition of small is more like FZ07, Monster 821, FZ09, Street Triple, SV650, etc. Something that's right around 400 lbs ready to ride and has 70+ hp.
I'm with you. I long distance tour on my SV all over the country. It's the perfect bike for me.

[IMG][/IMG]
CvFactor is offline   Reply With Quote