Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
trytoridealot OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
kawa voyager vs Victory cct

So which of the two would you pick?
Would like to hear some longterm experience.
Reliability, comfort, durability and cosmetics after real world usage.

Bikes primal use would be touring, 4 to 6 hour non stop riding daytrips as would love to start travelling.

And no i dont want a adventure bike had it, not my thing.

Ridden all kind of bikes, cbr1000rr to r1200rt but now looking for a big tourer.

The Harley is out off the picture to expensive (probably great but need money for gas to).
trytoridealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
I have researched both bikes but have only ridden the Victory Cross Country personally. I own a 2007 Victory Hammer, and will say that in terms of reliability/build quality/maintenance and then the resulting total cost of ownership it all favors the Vicotry. My Hammer literally just needs gas, oil, tires. The Kawi will need valve checks/adjustments where the Vic will not. When you sit on both bikes, you will notice the Kawi feels more plastiky and flimsier. Lots of owners complain about dash rattles on the kawi, even when new, but the Vic also tends to develop rattles as it ages. Weight is also a big difference. The Kawi is 895 lbs, and has pretty poor cornering ability, while the cross country is 846lb and has an amazing lean angle and handling characteristics. Then there's the difference in engine character, where most people prefer the power delivery of the VIc.

I'm not saying the kawi is a bad bike, just in many respects it cant compete with the Vic. Then of course you get to ergonomics and things get very subjective. If you're over 6ft, you will love the Victory. That is a giant's bike. Shorter fellers often prefer the kawi.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
I have researched both bikes but have only ridden the Victory Cross Country personally. I own a 2007 Victory Hammer, and will say that in terms of reliability/build quality/maintenance and then the resulting total cost of ownership it all favors the Vicotry. My Hammer literally just needs gas, oil, tires. The Kawi will need valve checks/adjustments where the Vic will not. When you sit on both bikes, you will notice the Kawi feels more plastiky and flimsier. Lots of owners complain about dash rattles on the kawi, even when new, but the Vic also tends to develop rattles as it ages. Weight is also a big difference. The Kawi is 895 lbs, and has pretty poor cornering ability, while the cross country is 846lb and has an amazing lean angle and handling characteristics. Then there's the difference in engine character, where most people prefer the power delivery of the VIc.

I'm not saying the kawi is a bad bike, just in many respects it cant compete with the Vic. Then of course you get to ergonomics and things get very subjective. If you're over 6ft, you will love the Victory. That is a giant's bike. Shorter fellers often prefer the kawi.
Actually the Kawasaki's have hydraulic valves, so no inspection or adjustment is necessary.

I have not owned either bike, but from reviews I have read I think your assessment is pretty much spot on. Both are very good bikes, with the CCT being the better of the two - but it's also more expensive. In fact, if you're ruling out the Harley because of price (and it's probably a better bike than the CCT), then the deals that can be had on the Kawasaki's should look pretty attractive.

I feel safe to say that the Kawasaki will easily roll well into 6 digits on the odometer. That has been my experience with Kawasaki's, anyway.

The Victory may be just as reliable, but no way I would believe more reliable than the Kawasaki. And the Kawasaki is liquid cooled, and I would prefer that to air cooling.

Does it sound like I favor the Kawasaki? I guess I do. If it had shaft drive intead of a belt, that would make it a no brainer in my world.

I am toying with the idea of tracking down a NOS Nomad myself...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
trytoridealot OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Looks wise I prefer the Victory but here in europe they are quite expensive 29450$.

The kawi costs 25000$ so is the Vic 4500$ more worth?

Second thought is repairs on the go + part availability in 10 years.
trytoridealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Well, parts availability is probably going to be better for a kawi bike in Europe, than a Vic. The thing is I don't know what parts you'd need...

And I stand corrected, the kawi does have hydro valves. My mistake, thanks Mr breeze.

I think first figure out which bike feels right to you, and then try to negotiate the price that you feel comfortable with. There are people who couldn't get comfortable on either bike, so comfort FOR YOU is probably the deciding factor in this case.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
I have a Cross Country Tour, my 3rd Vic', and it's a great bike. Reliable, comfortable, roomy, great handling and loaded with features like quick disconnect trunk, cruise, heated seat and grips, adjustable rider controls, adjustable passenger floorboards, low maintenance, and more luggage space than any bike out there. All the luxo tourers are expensive, but I found the XCT to be the best value for me. 5.8 gallon tank and most tanks I average ~42mpg.
I've not ridden a Voyager, but a few things I feel it has going for it are the frame mount fairing, shaft drive, dealer network, and price.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

The Voyager is belt driven like the Victory.

I thought that water cooling would have some benefits on the voyager, but it doesn't at all. Poeple still have serious complaints about engine heat and performance wise the Vic engine to most riders feels stronger. So while theoretically water cooling should have had benefits, in this comparison, i think water cooling is a detriment, because coolant could develop a leak, needs to be changed periodically, and god forbid you should you ever crash, not getting coolant all over yourself is a plus on the Vic.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
The Voyager is belt driven like the Victory.

I thought that water cooling would have some benefits on the voyager, but it doesn't at all. Poeple still have serious complaints about engine heat and performance wise the Vic engine to most riders feels stronger. So while theoretically water cooling should have had benefits, in this comparison, i think water cooling is a detriment, because coolant could develop a leak, needs to be changed periodically, and god forbid you should you ever crash, not getting coolant all over yourself is a plus on the Vic.
Watercooling should give the bike more consistent output (not necessarily more) regardless of running conditions. The real benefit would be in longevity (especially the rear cylinder) all things being equal. Of course, they are not ever equal.

In the states, the Vic costs more and is thought to be a more premium brand. Neither of these bikes or motors is bad. Neither should present the owner practical issues on long rides - or longevity for that matter.

What works best for you and what's the best deal ....

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote