User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2006, 11:10 PM   #136
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
rockt,

You might want to search the galleries over at www.sportster.org . Another good source of Sportster info can be had over at xlforum.net .

As far as the scrambler thing, Mert Lawwill makes a "street tracker" but it's pricey. http://www.mertlawwill.com/news.htm

Supertrapp makes 2-2 high pipes, and Storz makes body kits. Add a pair of long shocks, and some knobbies, and there ya go.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:17 AM   #137
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Thanks for the links, AZ.

Yeah, I guess the Lawwill bike is a good theme to base my idea on. I originally thought of it as strictly a flat-tracker since that's what it's based on, but for dirt roads it would be fine. The Supertrap high pipes look really cool and are regarded highly from a performance perspective, but I'd be worrried about burning myself and/or a passenger and they'd make mounting luggage difficult. Also need to figure out how to get more fuel capacity.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #138
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Can't believe I get to show my HD without hiding my head in a bag! I love my '01 'king, It always seems to have the right gear for the occasion, nice rumble without being too loud and it get my creative juices flowing. I think it's a great complement to the DR...

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #139
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
scootertrash... That is a fine looking King.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #140
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
You bastaads are really making me want to add a HD to the stable. (right now only a 1 horse stable) I've avoided the marketing hype and the RUB world and here at an ADV related site your sucking me in.

Jurgen
Fug the RUB's!! Don't let those credit card bikers keep you off a great steed! It's a great fun ride, there are a lot of cool riders, despite the bad name the poseurs give HD's...go for it!

Old 01-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #141
Seb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Harleys

Why? Because you hate money and performance (and the love the 80s and little leather tassles).
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #142
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
The Hammer is okay... ...but that tail section looks Corbin-cheesy.

The main issue I have with Victory, or any bike (like most metric cruisers) that comes from the factory heavily stylized, is that it looks like one size fits all.

People have decried the "hardware-store" design of HDs, but that made true customs- well, custom.

That hammer has potential- but lose the ass end.
And the "Toon Town" mufflers...

Old 01-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #143
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
scootertrash... That is a fine looking King.
Thanks sfarson, although, it would look better on YOUR driveway. BTW, I saved a pic of your bike awhile back, on a lonely CO road with the mtn's in the background. I remembered it after seeing your bike in this thread..

Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #144
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

dood! that is one bad scoot! That constitutes the best in choppers, from the springer, panhead, upswept pipes, open primary to the jockeyshift. Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJveetwin
The last time this thread was active, I didnít have the ability to upload pictures, But now Iím a Snug mug dude and will become a picture posting monster.

Hereís a couple of shots of my Pan. Iíve owned it for over 25 years and is capable of going anywhere. Itís a 50FL, stock cases & heads. Everything is fresh with around 19 K since the last restoration. Paucho frame, inline original springer, Motor is all SS internals, balanced & blueprinted ĹĒ mild strocker, std bore, 84Ē, Teflon coated forge pistons, 540 lift cam, Morris mag, open primary, suicide clutch / jockey shift, Andrews close ratio gear box, all of the best, ect, ect. I have done all the work but actual machining. Bike is as close to a true 60ís bobber as you can find and a real sweet runner. New twin cams are nice, but Iíll stick to the old iron.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #145
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb
Why? Because you hate money and performance (and the love the 80s and little leather tassles).
Money? My bike was $6,500 OTD, new, in 2001.

You talk about liking bikes SO MUCH, then it seems like you sold both of them...hmmm...how's the Husky, or are you still caging it to work every day?

How can you say you like bikes when you diss someone else's ride?

Have fun on your Husky! Hope it gives you 160,000klms of reliability. For the price, it damn well oughta!

Just so you know, I buy my oil filters for $2, and my synthetic oil for $5 per quart, and the other random service o-rings run me about $5 every 5k miles.

I hope your Husky is just as cheap and reliable as my H-D has been.

Now please go away, you hypocritical little troll.

derek

Old 01-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #146
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Here's some more of my bike:

This one is from the campground at Rancho Santa Ynez out by Catavina--what a beautiful, peaceful place. Can't wait to go back.

This one is from the ranch building, waiting for breakfast. After getting gas, next stop is Coco's Corner!

derek

Old 01-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #147
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker
Here's some more of my bike:

This one is from the campground at Rancho Santa Ynez out by Catavina--what a beautiful, peaceful place. Can't wait to go back.

This one is from the ranch building, waiting for breakfast. After getting gas, next stop is Coco's Corner!

Very cool AZBiker! You just proved everyone who said you can't tour on a Sporty, wrong! ( well I guess you and Dave Barr did....http://www.davebarr.com/ )
Also the myth that Harleys still leak oil and are unreliable needs to go the way of the myth that BMW's are bulletproof...

Old 01-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #148
Nick Makwell
Bavarian Murder Weapon

Oddometer: 672
Not a Harley owner - but I have ridden all the latest models = except the VRod and StreetRod, coz our HD dealer is across the street from the BMW dealer, so when I took my R1100S in I hopped across the road to take a Harley for a spin....

And to be honest? The best bike, for my mind, is the base model poverty pack XL883.....

Of course, brakes arent the best, and neither is the power, but I got the same if better feel from it (new rubber mounted model) than I did riding any Dyna or Softail....the XL1200 was even better!!!!

I'd like to go to the 'States, buy one of these, keep it stock, chuck some saddlebags and a rear rack on with a duffelbag and tour across America with it.....of course there only $US6500 over there...close to $AU13,000 here!!!
Nick Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #149
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Okay, now I can't stop myself...

This one was taken at a store in La Rumorosa, IIRC. Very chilly up there.

If you look in the lower left corner you can see part of my mirror--technically a bike pic! This is Mexico 5 just after I left Coco's--with all the luggage in the above pic. And believe it or not, I didn't lose any.

derek

Old 01-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #150
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
AZ, great pics.

I have a couple of questions: What kind of saddlebags are you using?; How is the Sporty on dirt roads?, (I think I already know the answer to this one - I'm guessing pretty good with its' low C of G, torguey motor and dirt-track heritage, but I've only ridden one on the road, so I have to ask); How did you manage fuel wise? I know they get great mileage, but I worry about the small tank. Is there a bigger tank available?
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote