User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #1681
MotoADHD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Sorry, no pic, little help please

I'm looking for a thread that covers riders switching to Harleys. I've spent my entire adult life on sport bikes / sport tourers. I always felt Harleys were to big and slow to get out of there own way. Then a couple of weeks ago I rented a 2012, 103 Dyna Fat Bob. I really loved it! I did 262 mile through our local mountains and deserts (including about 5 miles of a dirt road) and it was one of my most memorable rides ever. I know there is no such thing as a perfect bike, each is a compromise. I feel that what you lose in cornering clearance, top end and handling on the HD, you gain in that ultimate road / motor feel. While it was harder to ride in some situations, like passing on mountain roads, I found it a very rewarding ride. I almost bought a 2012 Fat Bob with ABS, but choked at the last minute. Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #1682
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoADHD View Post
I'm looking for a thread that covers riders switching to Harleys. I've spent my entire adult life on sport bikes / sport tourers. I always felt Harleys were to big and slow to get out of there own way. Then a couple of weeks ago I rented a 2012, 103 Dyna Fat Bob. I really loved it! I did 262 mile through our local mountains and deserts (including about 5 miles of a dirt road) and it was one of my most memorable rides ever. I know there is no such thing as a perfect bike, each is a compromise. I feel that what you lose in cornering clearance, top end and handling on the HD, you gain in that ultimate road / motor feel. While it was harder to ride in some situations, like passing on mountain roads, I found it a very rewarding ride. I almost bought a 2012 Fat Bob with ABS, but choked at the last minute. Please advise.

Thanks.
I bought my first Harley an 08 Heritage Softail Anniv model last year. I started riding about 40 + yrs ago. Have been through Honda's, Yamaha's, Suziki's and the last two bikes I owned was a Goldwing & a BMW. I really liked the BMW for its handling but being the R1100R model the bike was a bit small for 2 up riding longer distances. The bike handled so well, powerful brakes etc, but I found that I would push a bit too hard with it, and sooner or later it was going to bite me. So last year my wife and I went looking for a new bike. We tried out both a Gl1800 and the Softail. To make a long story short my wife liked the ride/visibility of the Softail over the Goldwing. Go figure. I liked the Softail because it handled much better in the high winds that we get in the area that we live and it was fun to ride.

Last year we took a couple of week trips with some 400 mile days etc, twisties, 4 lanes, 2 lanes, mountain passes, gravel roads etc. The Softail is not a sport bike but within its limitations ( lean clearance & and limited brake performance ) it is a fun bike to ride. I took an advanced riding course on the Softail and found with a bit of practise you can get these bikes through a corner faster than you'd think. You do have to plan ahead more with the Harley as the bike doesn't have sport bike handling or brakes.

I've found the Softail to be a very good all around bike. In my view it is very close to the ideal all around bike.
Lots of folks knock the Harley's but the newer models are very good big motorcycles.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #1683
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoADHD View Post

Thanks.
There are lots of threads here about switching to a harley, or ya can start a new one. For me, harleys make me more involved and make riding fun because they have a low performance envelope. I can't give up my harley??? The fatbob is the best performing big twin and looks waaayy kool!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #1684
hadye
The Pharaoh

Oddometer: 85
why I can't post attachments ?
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #1685
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
2009 FATbob

From FatBob at Chads

My bike last summer.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #1686
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadye View Post
why I can't post attachments ?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/annou...php?f=11&a=109

They're been turned off. Hotlinking still works.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #1687
hadye
The Pharaoh

So here is my bike
Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #1688
hadye
The Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
There are lots of threads here about switching to a harley, or ya can start a new one. For me, harleys make me more involved and make riding fun because they have a low performance envelope. I can't give up my harley??? The fatbob is the best performing big twin and looks waaayy kool!
why not fat boy? after the upgrade that was done to most of the engines to 103, I think all of the softails now are worth riding. I didn't have an attraction to Dyna from the beginning, may be because of the narrow front tires ( not the fatbob of course, it is an exception)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #1689
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,608
Quote:
why not fat boy? after the upgrade that was done to most of the engines to 103, I think all of the softails now are worth riding. I didn't have an attraction to Dyna from the beginning, may be because of the narrow front tires ( not the fatbob of course, it is an exception)
Because part of performance is the ability to turn. Softails (most not all... older standards and customs are better) do not come with much available lean angle. I was reminded of this just yesterday when I rode a Blackline around the building after gassing it up reached its limit.

Dyna's are lighter, more fun and have more available lean so they can actually be ridden well through turns.

Fat Boy - Right 26.2°- Left 27°
Fat Boy Lo - Right (deg.): 25.6 Left (deg.): 25.2

Fat Bob: - Right 30°- Left 31°

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 08:07 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #1690
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
At least ya didn't put performance and softail in the same sentence.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #1691
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 818
My 2007 FLHTC

Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #1692
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Nice Ride!

Prevent Flat Tires
http://www.TyreShieldUSA.com
Max Bialystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #1693
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,532
Bought this RoadGlide new in 2002 when I lived in Denver. Added the whole HD accessory catalog including the big bore kit but at altitude, it just didn't have the power to pass that I was used to-------and I couldn't adjust to a more laid-back riding style.

It was the one and only HD I ever owned and I still think it's the most beautiful (looking) machine I ever owned. 10 years later, I'm thinking it might be time to add a Roadking for cruising down here in Florida. I don't know-----Not sure.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #1694
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 305
Here's mine. 2009 FLHX in Big Purple Flake and Brilliant Silver. It's really hard to get a picture to show the paint. Sometimes it looks black. Other times it looks like blue flake, and still other times it looks like purple flake.

Changes made since getting are: '11 FLHX seat, '12 Ultra seat, VStream 10.75" shield, fairing wind deflectors. Not crazy about wire spoked (tubed) wheels, but will eventually get some tubeless wheels to replace them.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #1695
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Bought this RoadGlide new in 2002 when I lived in Denver. Added the whole HD accessory catalog including the big bore kit but at altitude, it just didn't have the power to pass that I was used to-------and I couldn't adjust to a more laid-back riding style.

It was the one and only HD I ever owned and I still think it's the most beautiful (looking) machine I ever owned. 10 years later, I'm thinking it might be time to add a Roadking for cruising down here in Florida. I don't know-----Not sure.

You are right, it was beautiful. Not too commom to see a roadie with spokes. Looks nice.

nskitts is online now   Reply With Quote