Originally Posted by Daniii View Post
Interesting wind screen. What is that?
http://www.madstad.com/
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #1847
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
From an overnighter this week, pausing above Westcliffe, CO on the east side of the Sangre de Cristos Range...

Oh, and for something diff, a ride vid to the top of Mt. Evans the other day with friends...

sfarson screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 08:04 AM
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #1848
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,289
Me and the wife riding Tail of the Dragon last week on the Ultra.

Skyline Drive on Father's Day.

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #1849
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 186
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Ok! so, after like two years! here this is my first pic posted.
never had the patience to figure it out before. This is my 10' RGC
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #1850
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 186
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppUploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppMy RGC rode out to this clearing off the highway for a little break.
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #1851
cruton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
2012 road king 3 weeks old 6200 miles and my first 1983 fxwg
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #1852
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
Just visited a good friend who owns an '08 Roadking and his wife has an '09 Fatboy. Nothing is as beautiful as a Harley. I still have the GL1800 and sometimes think about selling it and getting another Harley but at the moment I am unable to ride so that is not going to happen for a while.

I miss the good looks of my '04 RKC but not the tubes or the cheapo bags and rotten cam tensioners. My boss had an '08 Ultra that pinged it's brains out and was unable to pull hills in fifth much less sixth (Kommiefornia emissions?) and similar to my King having pitting chrome after a couple of months which Harley refused to warranty, his chrome peeled and again, the warranty was denied.

I checked the Kommiefornia CARB site and there is nothing really new coming for '13, save the usual over priced spammiversary models. A Roadking would be nice but I would miss the trunk as I wear a full face helmet when in Kommiefornia (no helmet when visiting Aridzona) and would have no place to store it in the bags.

The Wing is paid for. That is hard to get around. I fear that any problems with a new HD would be refused warranty work. I will not abide pinging (my boss was told to put on a Power Commander as all HDs ping), nor will shoddy fit and finish make me a satisfied customer. Are the new motors any more reliable as concerns their internals, i.e., the tensioners or any other problems that may have sprung up since I rid my self of my '04? ]

It looks like a car tyre will now fit the rear of HD tourers and that would be done as soon as the OEM donut needed replacement. Have one on the Wing for over 10,000 miles and zero complaints and little (if any) wear on it. If that were to somehow "void" my HD warranty then HD can suck eggs. Never again will I pay $300 for a tyre that lasts 10,000 or so miles. Ridiculous.

So then, are the new motors more reliable? My '04 was great but the spectre of those tensioners was another nail in the coffin when I rid my self of the bike. Perhaps I should just get a Sportster? Probably not.

The Toad

Toad: I have only ten months and 15,000 miles on a 2011 Road Glide with the 103 cu incher. Great motor, so far. No problems. Fit and finish has been excellent on the bike. Just oil changes so far. Back tire has another 5,000 on it...front??? lots more.

Good luck

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #1853
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,805
Quote:
Just visited a good friend who owns an '08 Roadking and his wife has an '09 Fatboy. Nothing is as beautiful as a Harley. I still have the GL1800 and sometimes think about selling it and getting another Harley but at the moment I am unable to ride so that is not going to happen for a while.

I miss the good looks of my '04 RKC but not the tubes or the cheapo bags and rotten cam tensioners. My boss had an '08 Ultra that pinged it's brains out and was unable to pull hills in fifth much less sixth (Kommiefornia emissions?) and similar to my King having pitting chrome after a couple of months which Harley refused to warranty, his chrome peeled and again, the warranty was denied.

I checked the Kommiefornia CARB site and there is nothing really new coming for '13, save the usual over priced spammiversary models. A Roadking would be nice but I would miss the trunk as I wear a full face helmet when in Kommiefornia (no helmet when visiting Aridzona) and would have no place to store it in the bags.

The Wing is paid for. That is hard to get around. I fear that any problems with a new HD would be refused warranty work. I will not abide pinging (my boss was told to put on a Power Commander as all HDs ping), nor will shoddy fit and finish make me a satisfied customer. Are the new motors any more reliable as concerns their internals, i.e., the tensioners or any other problems that may have sprung up since I rid my self of my '04? ]

It looks like a car tyre will now fit the rear of HD tourers and that would be done as soon as the OEM donut needed replacement. Have one on the Wing for over 10,000 miles and zero complaints and little (if any) wear on it. If that were to somehow "void" my HD warranty then HD can suck eggs. Never again will I pay $300 for a tyre that lasts 10,000 or so miles. Ridiculous.

So then, are the new motors more reliable? My '04 was great but the spectre of those tensioners was another nail in the coffin when I rid my self of the bike. Perhaps I should just get a Sportster? Probably not.

The Toad
The rear on the V-Rod is good for 5000. Fortunately, I bought a lifetime tire and maintenance warranty offered by the local dealer back in '04 as part of the 100th anniv. That was 86,000 miles ago. It's cost the dealer $10K so far.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #1854
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you! I am interested in the Road Glide Ultra (?), as it has a trunk standard and I have gotten used to a frame mount fairing. My friend in Aridzona rode one a while back and said to stay away from it because I would really want it after taking it out for a spin.

I think HD makes some of the very best bikes available, especially so their touring rigs. They are hands down the most beautiful bikes around but of course looks are a highly subjective area.

Thanks again!

The Toad
I have the Ultra. I reallllly like it. I find the frame mounted fairing handles better, and gives more "space" both between me and the shield and inside the pockets. Love having those little spaces for garage door opener, shades, gloves, tolltickets, whatever.

I test rode or rented every touring bike in the harley line, along with a goldwing and st1300 and bmw rt1200 and big vstrom and a few others and within five minutes I knew the Road Glide ultra was the one.

I agree with the looks thing: The simplicity of the mechanical design is a joy to look at. I have really gotten tired of motorcycles covered in tupperwear...

Cakeater....
Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #1855
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The rear on the V-Rod is good for 5000. Fortunately, I bought a lifetime tire and maintenance warranty offered by the local dealer back in '04 as part of the 100th anniv. That was 86,000 miles ago. It's cost the dealer $10K so far.
Fantastic. And here I thought I was getting a good deal when I convinced a car dealer six years ago to give me lifetime free oil changes on my new car, no strings attached. 90,000 miles later they're propbably wishing they didn't throw that in to make the sale. They still honor it, no questions asked.

Cakeeater
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #1856
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 306
Signing in from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #1857
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,461
Quote:
Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #1858
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
I forgot to mention that I also admire the Fat Bob. Triple disc brakes and a good sized fuel tank with style to spare. If not a touring rig, then this bike would be my choice. Keep the Wing and add a Fat Bob with detachable windshield, rear rack and back rest. If I could get a cruise control, so much the better.

I would need to replace the brake lines with braided ones and have them set up tight as I hate mushy levers.

Make it black.

The Toad

Here's a thread from another forum reagrding cruise on a Dyna:
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-g...e-control.html
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #1859
Garbage Marc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I I just traded in my 2006 Road King for this beauty.
Garbage Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #1860
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Marc View Post
I I just traded in my 2006 Road King for this beauty.
Wow! That's a sharp looking RG, congratulations and many happy miles!
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote