Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #1981
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Smith View Post
1990 Softail with a few mods.

SWEET BIKE!

I have been thiking about doing the old pre-1948 rear fender with pogo seat on my softail.

V-Twin and custom Chrome make this pogo seat kit, check it out its really cool:
http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/s..._141929_141936

Its a mini plunger that mounts to your frame and uses the pre-1948 seat "T". I have seen these installed on Softails, and it looks really similar to the original pogo seat setup used on the pre-1948 hart tail big twins.

Did you cut the fender strut mounts off of the frame?

Did the pre-1948 hinged rigid fender fit nicely into the softail swingarm, or did it need extensive cutting and welding?

Sidecar Jockey screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 11:29 AM
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #1982
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,362

A couple of months ago I went from a KLR to this! Lovin it!!
Old Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #1983
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post

A couple of months ago I went from a KLR to this! Lovin it!!
Callin' BS! Where's the milk crate?
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #1984
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Wow, I can't believe it, but I get to play! Never thought I'd own a Harley, but it's funny how our tastes can change over time.

Just got this one as a surprise gift from my fiance this past Monday!

I need to get some better pics if the sun will ever come out!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #1985
K9SAR499
I can make that!

Oddometer: 100
65pan jockey shift and yes if you can't kick it over you are not going. Did a nice ride to cooks corner today

01 KTM 640
Surly Krampus
K9SAR499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #1986
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Wow, I can't believe it, but I get to play! Never thought I'd own a Harley, but it's funny how our tastes can change over time.

Wow! Pretty!

Enjoy the ride.

Z
Old 01-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #1987
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:

Congrats big time, Randy.
It's a great scooter.
Enjoy it big time.

terry

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #1988
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
[QUOTE=Randy;20407421]Wow, I can't believe it, but I get to play! Never thought I'd own a Harley, but it's funny how our tastes can change over time.

Congratualtions - I drool over the 48's, that's a sweet bike!!!
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #1989
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Herold View Post

Congratualtions - I drool over the 48's, that's a sweet bike!!!

Yeah, me too! Funny thing is, I never had any interest in Harley's at all before.

Then, I took three weeks vacation to visit my GF in Houston. One evening while there we went through a Luby's drive-thru to get some tea and there just happened to be a H-D dealership in the adjoining parking lot and for some reason I decided to drive by. I saw a red 48 sitting out front (customers bike) and it caught me eye, so I stopped to look at it. Then I decided to park and get a closer look. We got out and looked it over, and I asked if she wanted to go in. She said, "sure". We walked in and I felt like a complete foreigner as I walked past rows of bikes that had no appeal to me. Then I saw a gold 48 just like the one above, and it was ON! I just fell in love with that bike. We were engaged by a rather nice salesman, and my excitement grew as we looked and talked about the bikes. Over the next little while my ideas about H-D just changed. The salesman told me that with a m/c endorsement on my DL and proof of m/c insurance I could take a test ride. Over the next couple of days I couldn't get the 48 out of my head so I went back a few days later and took a ride. Due to my preconceptions I fully expected to hate it. But, after a few minutes on the road I had to admit that, while different from what I was used to, I was actually enjoying it!

I wanted a new Harley!!

Long story short, with our upcoming wedding, and all of the associated expenses I knew that there was no way I could swing a new bike. So, I just put it on the back burner, thinking that one day, after the wedding, and my finances recovered, that maybe this would be my new bike. But, I did spend a lot of time online looking at 'em and researching. The 48 had became my knew bike obsession and T knew it.

I've been selling off some of my other bikes to help pay for the wedding and she knew that too. So, what does she do? A few weeks after I returned to GA, she contacted my local H-D dealership, had them locate a gold 48, and then arranged to have it delivered to me as a surprise! WOW! What a woman!

I've had it less than a week, but a funny thing has happened... I'm really starting to view Harleys differently and can definitely see myself getting another as a project bike in the future. But, yeah, there's just something about the 48 that pushed all the right buttons for me from a styling perspective.

Thanks to everyone for the compliment. I think it's a BEAUTIFUL machine too! And it's all the more beautiful because of the beautiful lady that gave it to me. I may sell other bikes, but this one has a permanent spot in my garage!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 08:09 AM
Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #1990
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Yeah, me too! Funny thing is, I never had any interest in Harley's at all before.

Then, I took three weeks vacation to visit my GF in Houston. One evening while there we went through a Luby's drive-thru to get some tea and there just happened to be a H-D dealership in the adjoining parking lot and for some reason I decided to drive by. I saw a red 48 sitting out front (customers bike) and it caught me eye, so I stopped to look at it. Then I decided to park and get a closer look. We got out and looked it over, and I asked if she wanted to go in. She said, "sure". We walked in and I felt like a complete foreigner as I walked past rows of bikes that had no appeal to me. Then I saw a gold 48 just like the one above, and it was ON! I just fell in love with that bike. We were engaged by a rather nice salesman, and my excitement grew as we looked and talked about the bikes. Over the next little while my ideas about H-D just changed. The salesman told me that with a m/c endorsement on my DL and proof of m/c insurance I could take a test ride. Over the next couple of days I couldn't get the 48 out of my head so I went back a few days later and took a ride. Due to my preconceptions I fully expected to hate it. But, after a few minutes on the road I had to admit that, while different from what I was used to, I was actually enjoying it!

I wanted a new Harley!!

Long story short, with our upcoming wedding, and all of the associated expenses I knew that there was no way I could swing a new bike. So, I just put it on the back burner, thinking that one day, after the wedding, and my finances recovered, that maybe this would be my new bike. But, I did spend a lot of time online looking at 'em and researching. The 48 had became my knew bike obsession and T knew it.

I've been selling off some of my other bikes to help pay for the wedding and she knew that too. So, what does she do? A few weeks after I returned to GA, she contacted my local H-D dealership, had them locate a gold 48, and then arranged to have it delivered to me as a surprise! WOW! What a woman!

I've had it less than a week, but a funny thing has happened... I'm really starting to view Harleys differently and can definitely see myself getting another as a project bike in the future. But, yeah, there's just something about the 48 that pushed all the right buttons for me from a styling perspective.

Thanks to everyone for the compliment. I think it's a BEAUTIFUL machine too! And it's all the more beautiful because of the beautiful lady that gave it to me. I may sell other bikes, but this one has a permanent spot in my garage!

Terrific story, Randy.

You got a keeper of a lady. That is one heck of a surprise.

Yeah, there's something funny about Harleys. By all past experience I should have a big Kawa or Honda sport touring bike in my garage, but I have a Road Glide. It's more fun. Hard to quantify it, harder to explain it, but I just want to ride it more. Weird. And the sportsters have a very cool appeal. Fun to be able to change them into whatever style bike you want. Okay, except a trials bike.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #1991
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:

No kidding what a woman and a very nice bike.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #1992
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Terrific story, Randy.

You got a keeper of a lady. That is one heck of a surprise.

Yeah, there's something funny about Harleys. By all past experience I should have a big Kawa or Honda sport touring bike in my garage, but I have a Road Glide. It's more fun. Hard to quantify it, harder to explain it, but I just want to ride it more. Weird. And the sportsters have a very cool appeal. Fun to be able to change them into whatever style bike you want. Okay, except a trials bike.

Cakeeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
No kidding what a woman and a very nice bike.
Yeah, well I do still have my R1150GS as my "sport" tourer, and while I like it for what it is, it was really lacking the character or "soul" that the H-D engine has in spades. That led me to buying a '96 Buell S1 last spring, and that in turn led me to begin to appreciate the H-D engines. One thing led to another and here I am, a new Harley owner!

And I won't pollute this thread with anymore of my story, even though it is much more special than I alluded to above. If anyone is interested in a true fairytale of a love story, more details can be found HERE. And yeah, it does contain motorcycles!

Randy screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 11:44 AM
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #1993
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Nice story Randy, congrats on the bike and the wife!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #1994
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Congrats, Randy! What a great story. Here's to happy days ahead.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #1995
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
Excellent story, thanks for sharing with us!
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote