Oddometer: 24
danielraible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #1997
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielraible View Post
Nice! What's the plant behind you? I work at a refinery.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #1998
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielraible View Post
Nice clean little FXR. Still my all time favorite bike...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #1999
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
If we're posting up our 48s

Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #2000
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yeah, me too! Funny thing is, I never had any interest in Harley's at all before.

Then, I took three weeks vacation to visit my GF in Houston. One evening while there we went through a Luby's drive-thru to get some tea and there just happened to be a H-D dealership in the adjoining parking lot and for some reason I decided to drive by. I saw a red 48 sitting out front (customers bike) and it caught me eye, so I stopped to look at it. Then I decided to park and get a closer look. We got out and looked it over, and I asked if she wanted to go in. She said, "sure". We walked in and I felt like a complete foreigner as I walked past rows of bikes that had no appeal to me. Then I saw a gold 48 just like the one above, and it was ON! I just fell in love with that bike. We were engaged by a rather nice salesman, and my excitement grew as we looked and talked about the bikes. Over the next little while my ideas about H-D just changed. The salesman told me that with a m/c endorsement on my DL and proof of m/c insurance I could take a test ride. Over the next couple of days I couldn't get the 48 out of my head so I went back a few days later and took a ride. Due to my preconceptions I fully expected to hate it. But, after a few minutes on the road I had to admit that, while different from what I was used to, I was actually enjoying it!

I wanted a new Harley!!

Long story short, with our upcoming wedding, and all of the associated expenses I knew that there was no way I could swing a new bike. So, I just put it on the back burner, thinking that one day, after the wedding, and my finances recovered, that maybe this would be my new bike. But, I did spend a lot of time online looking at 'em and researching. The 48 had became my knew bike obsession and T knew it.

I've been selling off some of my other bikes to help pay for the wedding and she knew that too. So, what does she do? A few weeks after I returned to GA, she contacted my local H-D dealership, had them locate a gold 48, and then arranged to have it delivered to me as a surprise! WOW! What a woman!

I've had it less than a week, but a funny thing has happened... I'm really starting to view Harleys differently and can definitely see myself getting another as a project bike in the future. But, yeah, there's just something about the 48 that pushed all the right buttons for me from a styling perspective.

Thanks to everyone for the compliment. I think it's a BEAUTIFUL machine too! And it's all the more beautiful because of the beautiful lady that gave it to me. I may sell other bikes, but this one has a permanent spot in my garage!
That IS a great story! Congrats and thanks for sharing. Also took me a while to want a Harley.

Finally got my first one a year ago and loving it! Ride on, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #2001
danielraible
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
Nice! What's the plant behind you? I work at a refinery.
That's the Lorain, OH steel plant.
danielraible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #2002
jbc1200
Busy Living

Oddometer: 139
Good morning!

First post here.

I'm Blake, 28 years old, live in North Georgia. Last month I bought my second bike ever. I had an 883 Sportster back in college but it's been gone for a long time now, and I just got the itch to get back out on two wheels.

I wanted something pretty simple and utilitarian and I looked at several very different bikes from the V-Strom to the new Honda CRF250L to a Suzuki DR650SE. I wanted something that wasn't huge and that I could whip around wherever, but I also needed it to be comfortable at interstate speeds for my daily 15 mile commute, and most importantly my wife had to be comfortable.

I'm only 5'6" 150lb and she's about 5'0" 120, so we don't need a big bike. The V-Strom was just too big for me and the wife was not comfortable sitting on the dirt bike seats of the others. What I ended up with was this 2004 XL1200C with 12k miles. Check out those swanky grips, footpegs, mirrors, and smoked turn signal lenses.

It was clearly a weekend warrior and came with straight pipes that were unbaffleable (real word?), and a handful of "chopper" type trinkets. Over the last month of owning it I've been slowly ebaying stuff to make it what I want, along with putting about 2000 miles on the ticker already. I've ridden it every day to work regardless of the weather - from 36F mornings to 80F afternoons. I have two armored mesh jackets on the way for us, and we have HJC full face helmets, but I've just been riding in my old Carhartt jacket for now.

To start off with I had to get rid of the exhaust and I found rave reviews on this 2-1 pipe with an adjustable butterfly inside to tune the noise level. It's really cool, and a very high quality unit. It was less than $300 shipped brand new so I got it instead of factory take-offs but now I've decided I like the butterfly all the way closed so I'm after an OEM exhaust. No reason to have this if I'm not really "using" it and I can get some cash back out of it.

I also got OEM mid foot controls from ebay and free black OEM mirrors from my buddy. The foot controls are my favorite upgrade so far and I learned I can't stand forwards.

The bike came with a Harley-Davidson quick disconnect windshield, which I have yet to use, but I'm keeping because I know it's an expensive piece and I may want it one day. For now I just like watching the bugs splatter on my helmet visor.

I got this off-brand quick disconnect backrest off ebay for the wife and it actually works well. Eventually I need a luggage rack for the backside of it.

This week I got OEM footpegs, grips, shifter peg, and amber turn signal lenses in so that all got installed, along with the tank emblem. In these pics the bike is nasty and the exhaust is coated in grime from several rides home in the pouring rain. Oh yeah, jeans and a Carhartt jacket suck for a 45 min ride in steady downpour.

So, that's my bike. I'm not a "Harley dude" and you'd certainly not pin me for a Harley owner when meeting me. I absolutely love this bike though - it's so raw, primal, and classic. Nothing unnecessary other than too much chrome from the factory. Once I get the exhaust sorted out I'll be much happier. I guess wearing a full face helmet captures all the extra rumble and drone, and I hate how my ears ring after a long ride. It's not from the wind so I think the OEM stuff will fix me up.

I'm wondering if this is the only Harley project that looks like it's posted in reverse order. Lots of effort and thought to take a bike back to stock configuration.

Some sort of luggage/panniers that doesn't have chrome studs or "Live to Ride" on it is on the list too. Maybe I'll just make my own out of plastic waterproof containers.

My only gripe so far, and it's something that I've read as a common complaint, is that the OEM Dunlop tires are very uncertain in the wet. Right now I have a good set (front was brand new when I bought it) but when it's time to replace I plan to get something much better. I'd like to get a different set of wheels too, maybe 18"/19" lace, or OEM mags. Who knows. For now I just like riding the crap out of it and getting it dirtier and dirtier.

That's all for now! I'd like to thank a rainy Saturday morning and too much coffee for helping this post happen.
jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #2003
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,151
It is a complete and total sickness.....that's my story and I'm sticking with it..

Added a new 2013 Road King to the insane assylum....

Really enjoying the bike, the only thing that is and will be done to it is have the cat removed from the exhaust headers, a K&N air filter in the stock housing and the HD race tuner installed by Tilly HD in SC. Plan to keep it completely stock appearing. Also added the quick disconnect Back rest for Mz Pam.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #2004
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
It is a complete and total sickness.....that's my story and I'm sticking with it..

Added a new 2013 Road King to the insane assylum....

Really enjoying the bike, the only thing that is and will be done to it is have the cat removed from the exhaust headers, a K&N air filter in the stock housing and the HD race tuner installed by Tilly HD in SC. Plan to keep it completely stock appearing. Also added the quick disconnect Back rest for Mz Pam.
Welcome to the dark side.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #2005
jbc1200
Busy Living

Oddometer: 139
Beautiful bike! One day I'll own a vivid black Road King like that.
jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #2006
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
BMW dean, this is weird, but I think your garage has been in my dreams. You are 1 lucky dog.
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #2007
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc1200 View Post
Good morning!

First post here.
Nice first post, nice bike.

For the direction you're headed with this bike, which I happen to like, the Hardstreet bags would be a good option. Nice, clean OEM-looking bags, that seem to be really well-made.

Welcome to the asylum.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #2008
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,457
JBC1200
Nice ride. Had an '05 myself for a while. IMHO, they've just fucking ruined the 1200C with the stupid rear tyre on the front! Seems as soon as I like an H-D product, the brain dead carps at R&D scrap it for something even lower, and more useless!
Anyway, welcome aboard.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #2009
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,151
Really enjoying the new RK. Yesterday I cut the windshield down about 1 1/2 inch, looks perfectly stock. Now easily see over it, and works perfectly.

Question on the initial service at about 1,000 miles.

There is an independent HD shop near where I live, from everything I have researched, they do excellent work while the HD Dealer service dept seems more expensive than a BMW shop.

What is the thoughts on having the independent shop do the initial service?
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #2010
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Really enjoying the new RK. Yesterday I cut the windshield down about 1 1/2 inch, looks perfectly stock. Now easily see over it, and works perfectly.

Question on the initial service at about 1,000 miles.

There is an independent HD shop near where I live, from everything I have researched, they do excellent work while the HD Dealer service dept seems more expensive than a BMW shop.

What is the thoughts on having the independent shop do the initial service?
H-D can be pretty fussy but, I see no reason not to have your services done by an "indy", however document everything. Have a buddy who does the same thing, but he had the initial service done at his dealer's (not a bad idea, in case there's an issue) then he's been using the "indy" ever since. I used a local guy to do all the work on my H-D, and never had an issue when I need the one piece of warrantee work done at the dealer. (new stator)....congrats o the RK!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote